The State Of Cappielow. - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The State Of Cappielow.

kenton

Will Morton spend any money on the ground before the start of new season?? We have a terrific playing surface but the rest of the ground is in a sorry state,surely some kind of maintenance must be carried out during the close season, also are we the only club in Scotland not to have our name above the main entrance,think this is quite embarrassing.....

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No doubt ground maintenance will be included in the budget for next season.

You'll need to explain what you mean by "sorry state" though.  :unsure:

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

By sorry state I refer to the general appearance of the ground,i.e.paint peeling from walls, rusting crush barriers, broken gutters& down pipes in cowshed.....this would be just cosmetic as a major upgrade is really required and we all know that ain't going to happen....

Ok get you point, yes tinker with the cosmetics, but leave us with a real football ground , cappielow has been one of the few grounds to have not lost its character over the years , when I visit her, I can still see my old Herod in familiar surroundings . Only changes I'd say I've noticed since the 70's is Benches, part seating in cowshed, seats in the main stand , covered toilets/snack bar, flood lights and re roofed/cladding. Most of which hasn't actually changed the cappielow structure.

eat drink and be merry for tommorrow you may be radioiactive

Its in a state that is sorry.

Happy to help :)

A bit like our country* then? 

*UK that is. Obviously Scotland is pure dead brilliant.  :rolleyes:

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

Sorry don't agree, we need modern facilities, main stand built in 1931 is well past its sell by date, too crampt/no leg room, too many roof supports, tiny changing rooms,new main stand and all covered ground is a minimum we should expect in this day and age,although don't think this could be achieved on the current site without spending silly money.

By sorry state I refer to the general appearance of the ground,i.e.paint peeling from walls, rusting crush barriers, broken gutters& down pipes in cowshed.....this would be just cosmetic as a major upgrade is really required and we all know that ain't going to happen....

For the oldest, still used, football ground in Scotland it's in very good shape. I'm with Bawheid on this one, I love how Cappielow looks just as it is. Obviously a coat of paint and some minor repairs are needed on a regular basis.

A major upgrade will be required at some point, but this won't happen while the Raes are here so there's just no point moaning about it.

I agree that it needs some general maintenance but I'd hate to see the place upgraded to the point where it became soulless like the methadrome.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

My point was do you think any money will be spent on the ground this close season? As you said minor repairs need to be carried out on a regular basis,my view is that this is not happening as nothing has changed in the last 2 seasons I.e. the guttering in cowshed, paint/rust etc...

P.S as a Ton supporter of nearly 40 years I'm allowed a we moan......and yes I know nothing major will be done until there is a change at the top........moan over.....Bring on the Midden!!!!!

Upgrades should only be done with extra revenue in mind. But the current board doesn't believe in that so it'll never happen.

Regardless the priority needs to be the team right now. Our attendance doesn't really justify a rebuild.

EOho8Pw.png

If ist a total new rebuild, then away from current site. think personally it would be soul destroying to lose yet another Greenock memory for myself. ie Hector Mcneil, cowdie,Highlanders (shortly) to name a few. home is not home anymore. If it weren't for MORTON I would have gave up visiting the place yonks ago.

eat drink and be merry for tommorrow you may be radioiactive

For a start lets get a fence down the double staircase and improve the atmosphere now has to be the time with some bigger supports coming to town other than this and a lick of paint lets just leave it the fuck alone one of the best grounds in scotland when it gets going not like the soulless lego built grounds at paisley and airdrie.

Getting the fence back should be considered. Why was it taken down?

The nostalgia of standing in a terrace next to the home crowd might add a few hundred to the gate against the bigger sides that have been stuck in seating for the past 20 years.

Putting up a fence massively inconveniences the home fans, who would have to put up with more of the roasters they normally keep a wide berth from in the Cowshed. The away fans don't deserve a section of the Cowshed either.

If you want to improve the atmosphere, chuck the away fans in the WDE, uncovered, for good.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Would be a disgrace/embarrassing if basic maintenance work wasn't carried out over the summer.  Right now Cappielow looks pretty awful when you see it on tv... no excuse for peeling paint etc. 

I'm sure the stadium director will make sure Cappielow is looking as good as possible come July..

Was coaching at cappielow on Saturday morning, and whilst we have a fantastic playing surface, the general state of cappielow is a disgrace.

Why dont the club ask some volunteers to get down and give the place a lick of paint - the crash barriers, woodwork and everything else with paint is an absolute mess.

The stairs in the WDE must now be close to being a H&S hazard.

I'm sure the club used to get people down during pre season to freshen the place up.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Was coaching at cappielow on Saturday morning, and whilst we have a fantastic playing surface, the general state of cappielow is a disgrace.

Why dont the club ask some volunteers to get down and give the place a lick of paint - the crash barriers, woodwork and everything else with paint is an absolute mess.

I'm sure the club used to get people down during pre season to freshen the place up.

You could always ask!  :blush:

I mentioned this on the Facebook group a few weeks back. I would certainly commit a weekend or two to go and do a few little jobs around the place, and I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one.

Wouldn't cost all that much for equipment. Hiring a pressure washer to clean up the WDE would be a good move IMO, can probably hire industrial ones for not all that much really.

Archived