Dundee V Morton Match Thread - Page 11 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Dundee V Morton Match Thread

There's no doubt O'Ware had a hand in both goals but in his defence, he is  decent young player just back from a long time out so I am not going to be too harsh.  In my opinion he is better than Page and, maybe just on the age thing, McLaughlin. I think it is harsh to blame the first goal on McLaughlin.  The crucial mistakes were made earlier in the lead up and he was trying to cover for them and was unfortunate that the ball hit off him.

The highlights are a little unbalanced in that they don't really show the run of the game.  The first 15 minutes and most of the second half was all Morton.  The 30 minutes to half time after the first goal was scored were as bad as anything we have seen this season.  There was definite improvement overall.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unlike McLaughlin, who's all over the place all the time and gives away goals every single week, Peciar who is extremely error prone, Habai who's been error prone in the short time he's had at centre back and Page who isn't a footballer? Why should we decide never to pick a player at centre back on the basis of one s***e game there when the alternatives have all had s***e games?

It's all about opinions and choices, that's why Alan Moore is no longer at the club.

In my opinion, my choice of CB pairing would be Reid and Peciar.  You prefer O'Ware, that's fine, time will tell if he's picked again. 

Don't blame me I voted Yes!!!! - We tried to tell you !!!!!

I reckon our CB pairing should be Reid and A.N Other.  Other not to be Marko or Page.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

It's all about opinions and choices, that's why Alan Moore is no longer at the club.

In my opinion, my choice of CB pairing would be Reid and Peciar.  You prefer O'Ware, that's fine, time will tell if he's picked again. 

I'd go with Reid and Peciar too. In such an important position for us I think O'Ware has to get back to full fitness before being considered again, although I would happily have him on the bench before Dickson And Page.

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

Because Morton scarcely deserved anything from the Ayr match whereas Morton's 3-0 victory at Firhill was as much as required. Which is why Irons earned himself a deal based on his success while Grady was punished for his piss-poor stumble across the line by failing to find a single management role since.

I know the sweetie-rustlers are still upset about not playing football "the right way" but you really have to deal with it or go to a club with greater pretensions.

That doesn't make any sense: our 3-0 victory at Firhill "was as much as required" yet our 2-1 win against Ayr wasn't?   

Grady had brought us up from 10th place (where Iron's left us) to a point we were going into the final game of the season in 8th place and (as it turned out) not even needing a win (which we got anyway) to stay in that position.

Iron's brought us from a position of 1 point and 7 goals below Clyde (when he took over) to still being 1 point and 5 goals behind Clyde with 2 games to go (after a haul of 10 points from 15 games).   Yes, we just got over the line with to 3-0 wins against mid-table teams with nothing to play for but we were very, very, fortunate.

Results-wise both ended up (in their debut season) doing just enough and little (if anything) more.  On a "fact-based analysis" I struggle to understand the argument that this is compelling support for Iron's style of football over Grady's "nonsense".

Look at her riding pillions on Davy’s sea-bike, carrying an apoplectic macaw in a silver hoop. Oh, Morton, let’s go there this winter!  Or learning the Japanese chinchona from that Kobe group, in a dress that looks like a blowtorch rising from one knee, and which should sell big in Texas. Morton, is that real fire? Happy, happy little girl!

Has someone got the stats?  Again.  Dunning?

Oh, it's been a while.

Greenock Morton, First Division, Season 2008/09

Jenkins in the starting 11: P20, W11, D5, L4
Jenkins not in the starting 11: P16, W1, D6, L9

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Oh, it's been a while.

Greenock Morton, First Division, Season 2008/09

Jenkins in the starting 11: P20, W11, D5, L4
Jenkins not in the starting 11: P16, W1, D6, L9

:thumbup2:

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

There was never an answer to that stat back then either was there...

We probably won more games with Kevin Finlayson in the starting line up than we did without him as well ... what's the point? 

Lack of a better alternative doesn't make a player good - as evidenced by the fact he then joined one of the absolute worst leagues in the world. 

TTG JIM!!!

We probably won more games with Kevin Finlayson in the starting line up than we did without him as well ... what's the point? 

Lack of a better alternative doesn't make a player good - as evidenced by the fact he then joined one of the absolute worst leagues in the world. 

Give it a rest, eh? Jenkins was a fantastically effective player for us, if you're still refusing to acknowledge that then you should probably give up on football.

AWMSC

Give it a rest, eh? Jenkins was a fantastically effective player for us, if you're still refusing to acknowledge that then you should probably give up on football.

It's garymcc's modus operandi.

To my memory, in the last few years it,s been, in this order; Allan Jenkins, Brian Wake, Colin Stewart, Peter Weatherson and now Mark McLaughlin. There may be one missing between Wake and Stewart.

He's probably got a point in some cases, but it loses credibility when he resorts to the same tactic of adopting a scapegoat for every occasion. Once McLaughlin drops out the team you can bet your bottom dollar he'll move seamlessly onto the next target. Any bets who that'll be?

Regardless of how effective Jenkins was, it's a daft argument. You can say that Grady signed Tidser while naming someone shite that Irons signed, but you could also point out that Irons signed Dominic Shimmin while Grady signed Donovan Simmonds. Single transfers are meaningless. When Grady did make good signings they were very good: Tidser was obviously a superb signing and we probably would have gone down if it wasn't for Witteveen, but he also signed and persisted with Alan Reid who was just awful, and not only signed Simmonds but released Brian Wake, who had the best goals to game ratio of our strikers at the time by a distance, in order to bring him in. While the hits were excellent, his overall transfer record was hit and miss.

In any case, the discussion was about their grasp of tactics. While Irons' tactics were rubbish for large parts of his tenure, he at least knew what tactics were and at times he did set us up effectively: it was just that when it went wrong he had no idea how to fix things and meddled massively. Grady's concept of tactics was playing a 4-4-2 and shoehorning players into it regardless of how many players had to be out of position. Every week you could look at the team and see that his only gameplan was 'flat 4-4-2 today lads' with no further instruction. It was absolute mince and it was no coincidence that we had the worst defensive record in Scotland with him in charge.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

It's garymcc's modus operandi.

To my memory, in the last few years it,s been, in this order; Allan Jenkins, Brian Wake, Colin Stewart, Peter Weatherson and now Mark McLaughlin. There may be one missing between Wake and Stewart.

He's probably got a point in some cases, but it loses credibility when he resorts to the same tactic of adopting a scapegoat for every occasion. Once McLaughlin drops out the team you can bet your bottom dollar he'll move seamlessly onto the next target. Any bets who that'll be?

Marc Fitzpatrick and/or Nacho Novo. 

TTG JIM!!!

Archived