Championship 23/24 - Page 11 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Championship 23/24

I see the Tele have picked up on the possible ICT link, no doubt from this very thread. Love how they come up with the line 'the Tele can reveal' when we've already been openly discussing the possibility for a couple of days. 

https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/23798127.dougie-imrie-linked-inverness-caley-managers-job/

Edited by Cet Homme Charmant

43 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

I see the Tele have picked up on the possible ICT link, no doubt from this very thread. Love how they come up with the line 'the Tele can reveal' when we've already been openly discussing the possibility for a couple of days. 

https://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/23798127.dougie-imrie-linked-inverness-caley-managers-job/

Riddled with 'the Tele understands...'

Ayr currently 4-1 up at Queen's Park at half time.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

43 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Ayr currently 4-1 up at Queen's Park at half time.

5-2 now. Queens Park🤣

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

24 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

Queens Park struggling with the size of the pitch at Hampden? 

Let's hope we have Jai available for that away game. Our direct play will hopefully rattle those fucks.

I hope they are struggling at Hampden. It's a disgrace that they are using it at all. 

• Upvote 2

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

30 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Caley set to appoint Duncan Ferguson.

Could be a good appointment that. Imagine him and Dougie having a square go on the touchline🤣

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Scot Gardiner in making appointment based on finding the staunchest candidate shock.

Plenty of managers fail in their first job then learn from their mistakes and improve over time, but Ferguson really was an absolute catastrophe at Forest Green. One win and three draws in 18 games. I'd be terrified if we'd appointed him, put it that way.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

7 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

Scot Gardiner in making appointment based on finding the staunchest candidate shock.

Plenty of managers fail in their first job then learn from their mistakes and improve over time, but Ferguson really was an absolute catastrophe at Forest Green. One win and three draws in 18 games. I'd be terrified if we'd appointed him, put it that way.

I wouldn’t say Ferguson quite fits into the bracket of an Alex Rae or a Bomber Brown, tbh. Of course he had a spell at Rangers, but it was a fairly brief, unhappy one, for a number of circumstances before he found a club that he was lauded at in Everton.

It’s going to be an absolutely box office appointment one way or the other though, he’ll provide no shortage of entertainment.

First off the bat, I’ll be watching with interest to see if Daft Raymond will shamelessly try to slither out of Forfar to take the assistant’s role.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Toby said:

I wouldn’t say Ferguson quite fits into the bracket of an Alex Rae or a Bomber Brown, tbh. Of course he had a spell at Rangers, but it was a fairly brief, unhappy one, for a number of circumstances before he found a club that he was lauded at in Everton.

It’s going to be an absolutely box office appointment one way or the other though, he’ll provide no shortage of entertainment.

First off the bat, I’ll be watching with interest to see if Daft Raymond will shamelessly try to slither out of Forfar to take the assistant’s role.

You could take Ferguson being at Stair Park on Saturday as simply going to watch his son who's on loan at Forfar, but a more cynical person might wonder what conversations he had with McKinnon.

• Upvote 1

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

16 hours ago, Toby said:

The big problem for Duncan at Ibrox was he was possibly the right signing at the wrong time.  He was bought as a long-term replacement for Mark Hateley who was scoring goals for fun at the time and the two of them didn't quite gel either on or off the park.  Also, he had his off-the-park problems but in the great scheme of things he was in the right place and in the right company, as Rangers at that time had allsorts of mad bams in their team - from Andy Goram to Muck Hoist - they were all capable of their own misdemeanours of equal magnitude.  However, unlike any of them he had the huge (at the time) weight of being Britain's record transfer fee on his shoulders, and was a target as such for the authorities.  If he were, say, a £1.5m signing for Rangers then he wouldn't have been seen as such a problem.

Also, further to Dunning's points about Forest Green Rovers and him not doing well there - well, who has?  They are a nothing club.  They are run by a hippy who preaches veganism and knitting yoghurt, whilst not paying child support.  They were the wrong club for him.   If he were at Tranmere, Carlisle or somewhere like that then he'd have fared a lot better.  

Inverness Caley Thistle have made an inspired choice of Manager, and this will be the start of great things for them and a great managerial career for Duncan Ferguson.

*insert signature here*

9 hours ago, capitanus said:

Also, further to Dunning's points about Forest Green Rovers and him not doing well there - well, who has?  They are a nothing club.  They are run by a hippy who preaches veganism and knitting yoghurt, whilst not paying child support.  They were the wrong club for him.   If he were at Tranmere, Carlisle or somewhere like that then he'd have fared a lot better.  

Inverness Caley Thistle have made an inspired choice of Manager, and this will be the start of great things for them and a great managerial career for Duncan Ferguson.

I recall you having similar thoughts about our appointment of Jonatan Johansson, who did of course turn out to be an absolute donkey. It's possible you're just inclined to think someone who had an excellent playing career is always going to be a good manager when that evidently isn't the case.

As for who's done better with Forest Green than Ferguson - it's only 2 seasons ago Rob Edwards won them the League Two title - literally every manager they've ever had. His record makes Gus MacPherson look good. He took over in a difficult situation, but he made them considerably worse.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

10 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

I recall you having similar thoughts about our appointment of Jonatan Johansson, who did of course turn out to be an absolute donkey. It's possible you're just inclined to think someone who had an excellent playing career is always going to be a good manager when that evidently isn't the case.

As for who's done better with Forest Green than Ferguson - it's only 2 seasons ago Rob Edwards won them the League Two title - literally every manager they've ever had. His record makes Gus MacPherson look good. He took over in a difficult situation, but he made them considerably worse.

I probably did have similar thoughts about Johansson, and even had similar thoughts about Gus McPherson and Davie Hopkin too.  I was also the first person to mention on here that Dougie Imrie would be a decent shout for the managers role, this was when he was coaching at Hamilton.   I also said that Tony Docherty would be a decent candidate too, long before he was given a chance to manage at a club bigger than Morton.  For someone that is supposedly a boo-boy, I actually give a surprising amount of people a fair chance.

Its based upon someone being a reasonable candidate for a job at a pretty unfashionable club, which lets face it is exactly what Morton are, and a reasonable candidate being given a fair chance.  Contrary to what you said, its nothing to do with their playing careers, as all of the above mentioned had fairly unspectacular playing careers.

Morton have had rookie managers before, sometimes it works, and we've had veteran managers before. Sometimes it works too. On paper Gus McPherson seemed like a reasonable candidate to steady the ship, he was local, an experienced manager with a reasonable track record and looking for work; and Morton were in a transitional period.  It could have paid off, but wasn't to be.   Similarly, Jonathan Johannson was a local guy who'd been around in coaching for a few years and was looking to make his way into management.  Him alongside a veteran manager as his assistant seemed like a good option at the time.  Once again, it could have paid off but it wasn't to be.

The difference between Duncan Ferguson and all of the above names is, well, he's Duncan Ferguson.  Whatever is wrong at Inverness he'll sort it out.  Nobody would fuck this guy around. The players will all look up to him and respect him, he's been there/seen it/done it and they'll WANT to give that bit extra for him, and prospective new signings will all WANT to play for him ahead of yet another Ian McCall type, and he'll be able to tap into the English market too.  Players will up sticks and head for the Highlands to play for this guy.  I wouldn't write him off on the basis of a dozen or so games at an over-achieved non-league outfit who are past their peak.  He's got something to prove and has just been given a platform to prove it.

*insert signature here*

On 9/26/2023 at 7:22 AM, Toby said:

Probably a Gourlay Free Kick moment, as you know I'm not following much football nowadays but Gary Bollan is his number 2.

*insert signature here*