Squad for next Season - Page 116 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

10 hours ago, TRVMP said:

Per the MCT announcement today, the Rangers money is earmarked for improvements of the club's core business. (Yes, putting on football games is part of the core business but I assume they're talking infrastructure etc.)

I'd like to know a bit more about that. Obviously we don't need the full ins and outs but at the end of the day MCT members essentially own the club so if things like the fan zone are works in progress it would be good to get an update rather than rumours and people just looking to see what's happened on a flattened bit of land. 

There's been money spend on an apprentice scheme too which is good for the long term so a bit of publicity on how we're aiming for long term sustainability rather than short term fixes with these examples would be a good thing. 

1 hour ago, bob_the_builder said:

Got assume/hope that means we’re utilising loans to fill out the rest of the squad.

Didn't come across that way. I thought he was pretty clear that he was happy with the squad and options in each position and that the loan market would be to improve the squad rather than fill it out. 

Imrie has had the opportunity to leave, or apply for jobs and is still here. Including when some of us (myself included) were worried he was off to Accies and he came out at a fan Q+A to say he's staying. 

He is definitely still learning but is clearly the best coach we've had for an incredibly long time. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, thehustler said:

Tut tut Bluesy... no need for profanity. Just an opinion. I wonder if there's another club in Britain with 4 defenders o  their books? And my sources advise he applied for Dundee job amongst others. So maybe get your blinkers off.

Lol

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

1 hour ago, thehustler said:

Tut tut Bluesy... no need for profanity. Just an opinion. I wonder if there's another club in Britain with 4 defenders o  their books? And my sources advise he applied for Dundee job amongst others. So maybe get your blinkers off.

Which of your half a dozen accounts is the source for this little nugget then? 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, thehustler said:

This may not be popular but perhaps Coach Imrie ain't the God you all think he is. Ludicrous to have 4 defenders in a squad, especially when one is as useless as Broadfoot. A long season ahead for us and Imrie will bail at first opportunity.

Are you that fud at the back of the shed calling for Imrie to do one last week? 

54 minutes ago, thehustler said:

We'll talk at end of season.

Don't let the door hit your deluded arse on the way out.

22 hours ago, RossMcC1874 said:

There is clearly money there after the Rangers game and yet we are not using it

Understandable post. But we have ZERO idea what's going on behind the scenes and what funds are earmarked for. The development across the road? Massive energy cost increases? Increased backroom staff costs? The recent investment in pitch drainage? The new website to replace the recently-broken one? The commission being paid to our new ticketing partner? The list is practically endless, and the outstanding (and much-appreciated) Dalrada contribution isn't a bottomless money pit. As supporters, we sometimes need to put our on-the-grass no-RB-yet frustrations to one side, bite the bullet, and shift our focus away from everything but the big picture - GMFC is a business which needs to remain sustainable. The astute and cautious financial management of this club is second to none, as a glance through the accounts of our rivals will quickly reveal. Dougie and his players are a cog in bigger machine. You don't have to like it - but you do have to deal with it.

1 hour ago, dunning1874 said:

The defence is clearly not in an acceptable state and we can't persist just the four we have for half a season, but waiting for quality to come along rather than flinging a contract at anyone who's available, eg Michael Doyle, for the sake of it is an approach which has already worked for us in the past.

As for the suggestion that one bad defeat and the squad not being complete come the start of September means Dougie Imrie is not that good a manager, this is a ridiculous take. He is quite clearly the club's best manager in decades, and even if we regress this season that will continue to be the case.

If he did apply for the Dundee job or any other top flight job which becomes available then that's fine: an ambitious manager who's doing a good job is eventually going to get an upwards move and that's to be expected. Provided he's applying for/being approached for jobs through the proper channels and not performing a Ray McKinnon style snaking then that's part and parcel of actually having a good manager for a change.

Don't speak too much sense now mate. Might blow some people's minds

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SassenachTon said:

Understandable post. But we have ZERO idea what's going on behind the scenes and what funds are earmarked for. The development across the road? Massive energy cost increases? Increased backroom staff costs? The recent investment in pitch drainage? The new website to replace the recently-broken one? The commission being paid to our new ticketing partner? The list is practically endless, and the outstanding (and much-appreciated) Dalrada contribution isn't a bottomless money pit. As supporters, we sometimes need to put our on-the-grass no-RB-yet frustrations to one side, bite the bullet, and shift our focus away from everything but the big picture - GMFC is a business which needs to remain sustainable. The astute and cautious financial management of this club is second to none, as a glance through the accounts of our rivals will quickly reveal. Dougie and his players are a cog in bigger machine. You don't have to like it - but you do have to deal with it.

Imrie was discussing adding one or two players about a fortnight ago. Since then, literally nothing has changed. This is just the standard way of folk turning their understandable frustration about not getting players added (although what credible targets exactly? People have already been halfway clamouring for a return of Doyle FFS) into the usual, back of an Inverclyde Taxi nonsense about there being No Money At All. 

If that were the case, we'd very much know about it given Imrie's media strategy just six weeks ago in that situation.

Edited by vikingTON
  • Upvote 2

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are