Squad for next Season - Page 115 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

I don't see any prospect of a striker. While not ideal, Quitongo and Boyd could be moved there in the event neither Muirhead or Oakley were available and when the two of them are fit they aren't being dropped, so no one's going to be keen to send us a player on loan who is rarely going to get a start. A different type of option as an impact sub would be nice if money was no object, but we're well stocked for attacking players as it is.

Imrie said he wanted a squad of 18-20; if we're still capable of adding two to get to 20, they both need to be defenders.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

59 minutes ago, Greacen2000 said:

At this stage I would be surprised if we don't end up offering Doyle a deal at least until January once he is fully fit (assuming we don't manage to source another RB in the meantime). 

Been accepting of the fact that Doyle Will likely sign some sort of deal, new right back or not.

52 minutes ago, Greacen2000 said:

I was thinking that vague statements about interest from unnamed "Scottish Premiership & EFL clubs" sounded a bit familiar so I looked up who his agent is.  Turns out he & Robbie Crawford are both represented by the same one.  Read into that what you will.  So bringing him back might not be out of the question after all

Kettlewell had been talking Lamie up over the summer and saying how he missed the end of last season due to injury.

Know they have signed a few defenders but had already ruled Lamie out for those reasons.

Very unlikely but you just never know.

On 8/22/2023 at 6:26 PM, RossMcC1874 said:

Right back is obviously the priority and has been for a while, not sure who is available though at this late stage in the window but I'm sure Dougie will have his eyes on a few. 

The club have put a video on social media tonight. Wilson and Jai look to be fully involved in training.  Baird was there at the start too. Doyle is still training with the club and is kicking a ball again. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

44 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Destination: Dundee.

Their fans are not overly keen on this. This may hint at the reason.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

2 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

Their fans are not overly keen on this. This may hint at the reason.

Understandable. Bad enough reaction when a player has left never mind one that dingied them after agreeing to sign.

Dundee fans though. They can fuck up.

On 8/27/2023 at 1:26 PM, Mr.Blue said:

Hibs looking for a new manager. 

The worry there would be if they appointed McInnes or Robinson, that in my opinion would be two teams who would potentially consider Dougie as their next gaffer.

6 hours ago, Tubes said:

The worry there would be if they appointed McInnes or Robinson, that in my opinion would be two teams who would potentially consider Dougie as their next gaffer.

Yeah. I think the knock on effect is more of a concern for us than any of the initial vacancies.

So no permanent signings on the horizon, one off out of loan and an invitation for fans to be patient until the end of the loan window. While I never expected us to push the boat out for promotion I was hoping for a bit more activity after the money from the Rangers game was distributed. The squad lacks depth and in some positions quality. imagine if we have any more injuries. As always, it's the hope that kills you.

19 minutes ago, HamCam said:

So no permanent signings on the horizon, one off out of loan and an invitation for fans to be patient until the end of the loan window. While I never expected us to push the boat out for promotion I was hoping for a bit more activity after the money from the Rangers game was distributed. The squad lacks depth and in some positions quality. imagine if we have any more injuries. As always, it's the hope that kills you.

They don't even know when the deadline is.

24 minutes ago, HamCam said:

Yeah pretty much same boat as you.

Whilst I was happy for Dougie to wait for the right player(s) to become available, the club have known for 10 weeks that we needed a right back and here we are, still waiting.

I'm not saying it's easy but it's part of the job to build a balanced squad and right now it's far from it. He didn't even need to build a whole new squad, we had a great nucleus to start with. Broadfoot should be a backup but instead he is playing every week.

Another slow, painful start to the league it is then.. Lose on Sat and it's an awful start.

7 minutes ago, Madton said:

Whilst I was happy for Dougie to wait for the right player(s) to become available, the club have known for 10 weeks that we needed a right back and here we are, still waiting.

The number of full time clubs holding their neve and still seeking one is dropping thankfully.

Ayr look likely to stick with the ringer that had a shocker against us and their existing backup.

Falkirk opted for a Dundee Utd kid on loan today as they have also been playing a midfielder at right back.

Letting him go out, does that mean Dundee Utd are confident of signing theirs before the deadline (Michael Smith ex-Hearts being suggested). They are playing Grimshaw in midfield.

Ryan McGowan just been told he could leave St Johnstone...

We held off to get the players in that we wanted this time last year. Let's have a little faith in Dougie and the club to do the same again. 

• Upvote 1

Really worrying that there will probably be nobody coming in a blind man can see we need a right back its so obvious until we get that we will concede goals with a make shift defence.

There is clearly money there after the Rangers game and yet we are not using it, also talks about letting players go and giving them game time if that's the case it will probably be like King and if so who is playing left back if waters gets a knock? 

Per the MCT announcement today, the Rangers money is earmarked for improvements of the club's core business. (Yes, putting on football games is part of the core business but I assume they're talking infrastructure etc.)

EOho8Pw.png

That’s really quite concerning if we are letting 1/2 boys going out on loan and not bringing anyone else in. Everybody in the ground on Saturday could tell that we are in desperate need of a right back. 

Blues has been poor even in his games at CM this season so far IMO and he is definitely not our answer to the right back dilemma as last week showed. O’Connor I thought started season well at RB however you can tell he is far more comfortable at CB. He had a bit of a shocker last week tbf. Mcgrattan was great at RB against Ayr however he is so crucial to us in the front areas I’d hate for him to be papped at RB majority of the season. I really hope we can find someone to bring in within the loan market however it seems to be a position that many clubs are struggling with at the moment.