Squad for next Season - Page 106 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

5 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Why should MCT be saying something? They've given the manager a budget to build a first team squad, like every professional club in existence has done this summer. What's so unusual that we need an ownership announcement about it?

We've made several signings appropriate for the level we play at, including Boyd on a two-year deal. There's every indication that there's at least one more player to come, then the loan market. It looks like a very normal transfer window for a full-time Championship club trying not to overspend.

There's clearly some friction between manager and board so an interview or something from someone on the board would hopefully clear that up for fans. There's already rumours flying about that don't help anyone. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, irnbru said:

At the end of the day if there's no money there's no money but the club MCT should be saying something and not leaving Imrie to answer questions about it when he's clearly annoyed. 

Imrie is answering questions about it because Imrie wants to talk about it. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

8 minutes ago, irnbru said:

There's clearly some friction between manager and board so an interview or something from someone on the board would hopefully clear that up for fans. There's already rumours flying about that don't help anyone. 

This probably applies to every professional club in the UK - especially one featuring a young, hungry first-team manager, determined to make his mark in his first senior position. Like everything else in life, fitba's not an ideal world. It's a series of compromises aimed at getting the best overall result - that of making some of the stakeholders happy for some of the time.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SassenachTon said:

This probably applies to every professional club in the UK - especially one featuring a young, hungry first-team manager, determined to make his mark in his first senior position. Like everything else in life, fitba's not an ideal world. It's a series of compromises aimed at getting the best overall result - that of making some of the stakeholders happy for some of the time.

Aye, although not every club replies as much on the goodwill and continuing support of the fans as us. A bit more transparency on things like this would help when people are putting hundreds of pounds of their own money into the club now over and above just season tickets, etc. 

• Downvote 1

While there is clearly friction between the board and Imrie regarding signings I don't really think there should be a statement from the club regarding budgets at this stage of the season unless it's something drastic like last summers statement. 

We are still in July but if we get well in to the season with three or four subs every week then it's clear there's a budgetary issue compared to last season and at that point I think it's fair for fans to expect some kind of statement from a community owned club why that is considering the increased prize money, sponsorships, MCT members, season ticket sales and merchandise sales. 

I've not saw a fan who thinks MCT should be throwing money at Imrie to sign who he wants, but there is definitely a portion of fans wondering why the players we have lost in the summer vs the players brought in so far don't add up, even excluding "bonus" signings like Ali Crawford, but again July is far too early to be demanding information from the club as we have to let the window play out first. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

1 hour ago, irnbru said:

Don't spread rumors, then.

• Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

7 hours ago, irnbru said:

There's clearly some friction between manager and board 

Is there? Can’t they all share frustration at not being able to bring in everyone they may wish to, while also sharing the understanding of the financial reality? Even if there has been some butting of heads that’s unlikely to be anything out of the ordinary in football.

7 hours ago, irnbru said:

… an interview or something from someone on the board would hopefully clear that up for fans.

What do you want someone to clear up exactly? Whether or not there’s been cross words exchanged behind the scenes? To address every rumour going, unsubstantiated or otherwise?

5 hours ago, Pedrodelawasp said:

Is there? Can’t they all share frustration at not being able to bring in everyone they may wish to, while also sharing the understanding of the financial reality? Even if there has been some butting of heads that’s unlikely to be anything out of the ordinary in football.

What do you want someone to clear up exactly? Whether or not there’s been cross words exchanged behind the scenes? To address every rumour going, unsubstantiated or otherwise?

It's always good to hear about what's going on behind the scenes. A high level update about things goes a long way. The biggest issue for me is we're fan owned, people are putting a lot of money in and there's not really any update from the business side (or MCT for that matter).

Obviously they aren't going to talk about individual disputes but an assurance that there's budget there, etc helps give a bit more confidence in things and stop rumours from growing arms and legs. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I have just joined MCT and would hope that there would be some sort of a monthly update about what's going on behind the scenes and what the money is being specifically spent on. 

We were at the same spot last season and it was clear Imrie was frustrated but in the end it all worked out fine, of course finances change every year and everything is more expensive in general now but you would think and hope we should still be able to sign one or two I feel we probably need 3 but that may not be possible unless it's the loan market.

The only slight thing I would say is I feel that the Jack Bearne singing was one that wasn't really needed or necessary, we are crying out for a right back and a backup goalkeeper and find it strange we went for another forward player rather than a defender. 

14 hours ago, irnbru said:

I haven't but there's a few of them going about. 

Going about where?  I’ve made a real effort to try and find out what these supposed rumours are (asking about other Morton supporter friends, searched other forums & twitter etc) and can’t find anything other than the speculation that’s been happening on this thread.  What are these rumours relating to?

If there is any truth to these "rumours" (I know there isn't) and Imrie is pissed off about the budget then maybe he should take a look at some of the questionable decisions he made after January.  Specifically ones like persisting with Ali fecking Crawford, who's performances contributed to us going from bonafide title contenders to sliding down the table and missing out on the playoffs altogether and missing out on useful extra prize money.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

here today, gone to hell

1 hour ago, TRVMP said:

The problem with expecting MCT to justify the regular expenditure of the club via specific statements is that you can't logically separate the Bearne signing from that same analysis. If MCT are expected to say "here's all the stuff we're spending money on that isn't first-team signings" for the public to scrutinize, then logically we'll be going item-by-item along all expenditure under the CEO, the commercial staff, the ground staff... and the manager. There's nothing to separate "what the money is being specifically spent on" for staffing hospitality and staffing the first team. So we're left in a situation where fan ownership means, logically, that MCT needs to say "oh and the manager chose to spunk his cash on Jack Bearne rather than a right-back, that's why we had three defenders in the squad at Dingwall."

It's not a good way to run a fan-owned club. There needs to be some trust here. 

I don't expect them to tell us every specific detail but there has to he something back from the directors on what they are doing when fans are forking out additional hard earned money ever single month there needs to be some sort of update to let us know what is happening, it's okay to say there needs to be trust and obviously with how well MCT has done in the short time it's optimistic but members should still have some transparency on what's happening and what plans are going forward. 

• Upvote 1