Match Preview/Thread - Inverness vs Morton (16th October) - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Inverness vs Morton (16th October)

Admin

I'm going to assume that we cannot afford literal millionaire Derek McInnes, who was earning a high six figure sum annually as comfortably the highest paid manager in Scotland outside the Old Firm and has also recently been linked with various English Championship jobs, no.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

I'm going to assume that we cannot afford literal millionaire Derek McInnes, who was earning a high six figure sum annually as comfortably the highest paid manager in Scotland outside the Old Firm and has also recently been linked with various English Championship jobs, no.

I'd settle for nothing less than Antonio Conte, if 'fucking nonsense picks' is our current benchmark. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

58 minutes ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Not disagreeing with any of the above, but as a matter of interest who would you bring in.

Doubt if we could afford him but I'd give Derek McInnes a punt.

A fitness coach literally recorded both a better PPG record as Morton manager, as well as a win at today's venue, before the club bizarrely handed the job to a haddy dinosaur earlier this year. That coach is not available right now, but perhaps we could just call up David McGregor from a similar role to effortlessly outdo the performance of our current 'professional manager'. Whose team contrived to lose the opening goal today from their own corner. 

We have once again missed the bus with the only correct choice of future manager, but I'd expect Sir David Irons to still do a much better job with wing-backs and hammer-throwers than whatever this is supposed to be right now. Bring Him Home. 

009__034__managers__David_Irons_crop__1295001492_standard (1).jpg

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

4 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

A fitness coach literally recorded both a better PPG record as Morton manager, as well as a win at today's venue, before the club bizarrely handed the job to a haddy dinosaur earlier this year. That coach is not available right now, but perhaps we could just call up David McGregor from a similar role to effortlessly outdo the performance of our current 'professional manager'. Whose team contrived to lose the opening goal today from their own corner. 

We have once again missed the bus with the only correct choice of future manager, but I'd expect Sir David Irons to still do a much better job with wing-backs and hammer-throwers than whatever this is supposed to be right now. Bring Him Home. 

009__034__managers__David_Irons_crop__1295001492_standard (1).jpg

VT....perhaps a better approach to getting 'onside' with Amy is to apply for a position @ BBC Pathetic Quay rather than hoping to 'catch her eye' in hospitality at Cappielow ... 😉

44 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

A 'literal millionaire?'... I'd assume hes been prudent enough to stash plenty for his future but millionaire?...hmmmmm...not so sure.

12 minutes ago, Drew Busby's Moustache said:

A 'literal millionaire?'... I'd assume hes been prudent enough to stash plenty for his future but millionaire?...hmmmmm...not so sure.

Even allowing for income tax he'd have to be a total profligate *not* to be well into the seven figures. 

If he came to Morton it'd be out of a sense of charity, not for the salary. And it's not really worth it - why risk shitting the bed and hurting your chances at a bigger job? 

EOho8Pw.png

And it goes without saying that the top priority is punting Gus. In an ideal world the BOD would have been, if not sounding out candidates for the last two weeks, at least considering their options. 

He's got to go, the first quarter has been an utter disaster, and it's not improving. The club should publicly advertise the job to augment whatever options they've already considered. 

Anyone about to type "well who'd want the job? We're a basket case" - Gus, a seasoned pro, took over when we were in significantly direr straits off the pitch than now. We're debt free under new ownership with a *reasonably* balanced and able squad and relatively low expectations. A hungry young manager or a Gus figure looking for a last crack at the full time game could do a hell of a lot worse. 

In an ideal world we'd get someone in til the season's end with a sizable survival bonus, then revisit it come April. Short of getting Thomas Tuchel we can't afford an other long-term deal. 

EOho8Pw.png

You're forgetting though that Gus might go greeting to his football contacts about what a horrible club we are though. Which rules out such current luminaries like *checks notes* Tommy Turner and Bobby Williamson from taking over. 

That was feeble.  Our best effort was Lyon’s shot from distance and how did Oliver fuck that rebound up? Their 1st goal came from a goal kick which I thought was taken while the ball was rolling, but it should have been dealt with. Second a shambles with IIRC Blues culpable but the rest of the defence not doing much either. Poor passes, poor first touches, just awful. No service to the strikers. Wee bit better when Russell came on, and Lyon, but looks like a team managed by an amateur. Which idiot gave Gus a 2 year contract?

Russell & Lyon should start next week.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

5 hours ago, astuartm said:

Oliver and Blues have been given far to many chances to prove they are footballers. Both should have been punted two seasons ago. Inverness every time a player goes down they call on the physio's to waste time, worst in the league for time wasting. We are terrible but even if we got a new manager, he can only select from the same rubbish.

He could maybe not play Cammy Blues RWB/RM, Lewis Strapp at CB and Allan at LWB/LM all whilst Ledger is on the bench. He is a clueless fraud and its no surprise why only Morton were foolish enough to give him a 100000th chance.

I don't know where we go from here other than League 1 but if we do punt Gus at least we have given ourselves a chance.

5 hours ago, so72 said:

If Gus goes I imagine that it will most likely either be an absolute random out of nowhere, someone already around the club or, and fuck me this will probably be the best option how depressing, Yogi.

I'd take Yogi over Gus every day and twice on Sundays. Yes, he's a figure of fun, and he can't pronounce a voiceless dental fricative, but he's got a decent track record at wrangling half-decent results from rag-tag outfits previously doomed to failure. We're not asking him to decipher the Voynich Manuscript; just to watch a few training sessions to establish that Robbie Muirhead's been phoning it in for the best part of five years now and Mark Russell is the white Roberto Carlos. Basic stuff.

EOho8Pw.png

4 hours ago, TRVMP said:

I'd take Yogi over Gus every day and twice on Sundays. Yes, he's a figure of fun, and he can't pronounce a voiceless dental fricative, but he's got a decent track record at wrangling half-decent results from rag-tag outfits previously doomed to failure. We're not asking him to decipher the Voynich Manuscript; just to watch a few training sessions to establish that Robbie Muirhead's been phoning it in for the best part of five years now and Mark Russell is the white Roberto Carlos. Basic stuff.

If Yogi hadn't had that spell at Raith then I'd welcome him with open arms. He is definitely better than Gus, I'm not really sure if there's any full time managers in Scotland that aren't (Peter Grant, maybe). 

Maybe Yogi would even let us play a wee bit of football as well

We are absolutely awful toothless yet again and our defence is a bombscare waiting to happen. 

Gus has to go this run of results is nothing short of embarrassing and it feels like we are condemned to relegation already and it's only October. In what world did the board  think giving him a 2 year deal was a right thing to do!? 

It's not like we have a young up and coming manager who led us to an amazing finish last season we barely survived relegation by the skin of our teeth but somehow he wangled a 2 year deal this club really does have mug written on its forehead. 

No wonder people have chucked it this early I really don't blame them. 

Every single thing MCT says or does is irrelevant and meaningless in the face of McPherson a) being given any kind of new deal never mind a two year one and b) still being in the job.

The process behind the first part should be made clear and everyone involved should join Gus on the way out. It was a catastrophic decision at the time and nothing that’s happened since is at all surprising; if the situation is to be salvaged in both the short- and long-term, the club/MCT have to act quickly and also demonstrate that they’ve learned an extremely major lesson from all of this.

AWMSC

It was an awful decision especially with hindsight but I can forgive that as in their eyes it was probably a safe choice and a show of security. Poor managerial choices happen regardless of experience in the role of choosing it. What I will find harder to accept is for MCT to not realise their mistakes and for them to be quite content to oversee us having another shameful season in their first year of ownership instead of making the difficult decisions needed before it's too late. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

What does “stability” matter though if it was clear the team hadn’t improved though. Swordings of League 1 dross aside, there was nothing, nothing, to suggest he was the right person to move us forward. 

I admire the people still trying to work out which formation/lineup to go with next. It does not matter. They are evidently not being coached correctly. 

2 minutes ago, Deego said:

We've not got the money to pay him off.

I keep seeing this but has that information came from inside MCT or is it just assumed by fans because of the length of the deal?

There may be a break in his contract, or I'm sure there are ways to pay him off that isn't in a lump sum that we'd struggle to afford. He's never going to get another full time managers job again so I'd imagine he'd be pretty happy to do his radio work while getting paid by us for 18 months. 

Relegation and the drop in SPFL funds and possibly MCT memberships and crowd sizes seems infinitely more financially perilous to me than firing a manager. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Archived