Inverness Caledonian Thistle v Morton - Page 8 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Inverness Caledonian Thistle v Morton

beetee

I’d have liked to have seen what Cormack would have done with the resources McPherson then got to put a squad together. Cormack was the right guy at the wrong time, I think. See also Ian McCall.

You're probably right. I liked Cormack, one of his biggest problems was the number 2, Dave McPherson was a snake who was actually a destabilising influence in a dressing room which was made up from old pros at the dog-end of their careers and the likes of Gary Tweedie, Phil Cannie etc.who were Juniors players at best.

Also, his health conspired against him, as well as being an East Coaster.

*insert signature here*

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’d have liked to have seen what Cormack would have done with the resources McPherson then got to put a squad together. Cormack was the right guy at the wrong time, I think. See also Ian McCall.

Always though the same about Billy Stark. Was trying to build a team only for HS to dismantle everything in the background.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Granted he's had his time and it will be very unlikely that we'd go down that Avenue again, but I liked Jim Duffy. Yes, there were frustrating times under him but in the end he was a good, safe pair of hands at this level and gave us some of our happiest times in watching Morton over the past 30 years.

I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

I liked Duffy as well, but the reason we got rid of him is because he’d taken us as far as he was probably going to be able to. JJ hasn’t worked, but it does not mean we have to revert back to someone who can just about keep up stable in this league. Little to no point.

Always though the same about Billy Stark. Was trying to build a team only for HS to dismantle everything in the background.

Always thought that about stark.

Brought in some right good players in Twaddle, Thomas and Maxwell. Curran and Murie also fitted in well.

Worst signing ever has to have been Iain Ferguson.

I liked Duffy as well, but the reason we got rid of him is because he’d taken us as far as he was probably going to be able to. JJ hasn’t worked, but it does not mean we have to revert back to someone who can just about keep up stable in this league. Little to no point.

His record with us was pretty good in that he won League one, Play offs and League Cup Semi Final.

Unfortunately JJ is taking us back to League One.

Ian McCall too.

Both Stark and McCall were highly regarded throughout Scottish football and beyond (Kenny Dalglish wanted Stark at Newcastle) however it took a few years for their careers to recover from their experiences at Morton, which was, in all fairness to them, was due to problems with Morton rather than anything they done wrong.

*insert signature here*

When you're getting dragged into a relegation dogfight against your will, mid-table safety is a decent place to be.

Also, we went on an 18 month spell of being unbeaten at home, which was good achievement for us too. If JJ was able to give us that, we'd all be very happy indeed.

*insert signature here*

Ian McCall too.

Both Stark and McCall were highly regarded throughout Scottish football and beyond (Kenny Dalglish wanted Stark at Newcastle) however it took a few years for their careers to recover from their experiences at Morton, which was, in all fairness to them, was due to problems with Morton rather than anything they done wrong.

Would agree about McCall and Stark.

The Morton experience definitely impacted them and set them back but will always be a question of what if with both.

When you're getting dragged into a relegation dogfight against your will, mid-table safety is a decent place to be.

Also, we went on an 18 month spell of being unbeaten at home, which was good achievement for us too. If JJ was able to give us that, we'd all be very happy indeed.

Aye of course, but our ultimate goal is getting promoted and it became pretty evident Duffy wouldn’t be able to manage that. I still think another left-field appointment is the way to go, despite this one’s failure.

JJ goes tomorrow, two questions -

Who do we want?

Who do we think the board will go for?

Remember a World Cup winner applied...thank **** for JJ

I want anyone who can keep us in the league and then build a squad. Wouldn't even be adverse to someone youngish who has managed at a lower level - James McDonaugh from Edinburgh City maybe?

I reckon the board will go for someone out of work so we could be looking at some joke like Hartley.

Morton manager Jonatan Johansson: "I'm disappointed with the result obviously and I'm also disappointed in the way we lost the goal - another set-play. I know we are a small team but we need to be better at defensive set plays - they've been costing us for a while now.

"Before that I felt everything was going alright. I think we played some nice passing football but in the final third we didn't have the spark or belief and it was powder-puff at times. We never really threatened them."

Nothing like putting our frailties out there in black and white for all to see, QOS tactics written for them.

I'm not convinced that Jonathan Johannsen's record as manager is worse than Alan Evans, Peter Cormack or Dave McPherson's, so I'm unsure if he could be described as the worst manager in our history. I'm sure the is some statto (or wannabe statto) out there will verify this. As for popularity stakes - Dave McPherson was loathed by the Cowshed at the time to the extent that when he was taken off injured the jeering that he was getting was pretty nasty, comparable with the Gary McAllister/Czech Republic game a few years earlier.

Also, as for Ray McKinnon being our best manager since McGraw - behave.

I’ll raise your point about stattos- statistics don’t tell the story. Anderson has won a Champions League winners medal for Man United, but Eric Cantona hasn’t.

I listened to Hawke talking on Sportsound talking about the rat pissing off to Falkirk and how much it’s f*cked up our season recently. It undoubtedly has, but there’s a myth that no manager ever actually takes charge of a team in a good position. Johansson did, or at least took over a team in a far less challenging position than McCall, Maxwell, Evans, Cormack, McPherson, Irons, Grady, Duffy and McKinnon.

Of course he wanted to implement his own tactics etc, but if it ain’t broke, etc. He broke it. I’ve often heard about how bad Willie McLean was, but he was long before my time. But in my time, the one guy I’ve really disliked has been McInally. He’s not in that mould, although his Mrs still does a good job of getting right on my tits.

McInally though, failed to succeed. Johansson’s succeeding in failure.

“The Worst Manager” in our club’s 145 years of glorious, unbroken history is quite a title, but if he’s not, he’s certainly in line for a podium finish.

The only thing worse than the little number of players who leave Morton for better things is the number of managers who move up the managerial ladder when leaving Morton.

We are such an absolute failure of a club its tragic. We are the club where careers go to die.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Archived