Development Squad Thread - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Development Squad Thread

TRVMP

Would agree with the above.

I am not knocking the boys we have but the standard of our Development league is very poor and my gripe is about not being allowed the opportunity to be promoted, have out squad play the teams in the top division, let them grow and develop more and maybe see us attract better quality development players who can make the step up.

We have not really seen anyone come through the development set up bar Mark Russell? Quitongo spent a season but he had already been at Aberdeen and Hamilton, who compete I nthe other league, and thus had a better development than most our lads.

Lewis Strapp looks a player as does McGowan but like I have said, hard to judge in the development league due to the poor quality as, Jon Scullion and Orr looked like Cole and Yorke in that league.

If this was Italy, where it's extremely rare for teenagers to make first team appearances, I'd agree, but Strapp (who I agree looks great) is already playing senior football at Elgin at the age of 17. Development League football won't be his make or break - SPFL football will (to be clear I don't mean this is his make or break season, but it'll be his senior career over the next 4-5 seasons that counts. At least in Scotland. If he gets picked up by a team like Swansea, that all changes.)

EOho8Pw.png

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More of the Trump  'fake news'  I think it shows who's rattled when you basically have to stoop to lying to try and score points.

As to the post in question - you yourself remarked that it was a 'bit much'  and said if I felt strongly enough about it I should have the courage to report it. A bit of a turnaround now coming up with an abusive 'grass'  post. ( There's no courage (or baws)  required btw - so no need to be a drama queen)

That's the end of my dialogue on this with you and your dysfunctional mates/puppets.

... and to Largston - it'll take a helluva lot more than the 'clique' to get me rattled. Sorry to disappoint

Mind and hit the Report button again on the way out, grass.

EOho8Pw.png

And there goes the Development Squad Thread FFS.

You are absolutely right AT. (and Cotter - who does a great job letting us know how the Dev games go) I think most of us love his updates )

Sorry I contributed to this mess lads

Show Racism the Red Card

My initial post was meant to be this - a POV from one of their fans who attended the game.

So pleased I went to Cappielow tonight to see the U-20s in action! Thought they just edged a very tight game! Morton will feel they should have been level midway through the second half when a shot from the right smacked off the inside of Max's RH post and flew across the goal to safety. We should have added a second in a late stramash when two half-hit efforts were cleared off the line!

There wasn't a poor display from anyone in a Stranraer shirt. Max had two fine saves, one in each half, and his kicking continues to impress. McGowan worked his socks off in the middle of the park, as did Fraser Burns. Jai Holland isn't the biggest number 9 around, but he holds the ball up well and brings others into the attack. Was looking forward to seeing Elliot rampaging down the left. but he started both halves on the right, where he was pretty ineffectual. but when he switched, he came alive and led the Morton defence a merry dance.

Second half sub John Mitchell, once a Morton development player, slotted in well when he replaced Tom Lang at the break, but my MoM for Stranraer was right back Adam Caldwell, who defended superbly and took every opportunity to push forward and attack the Morton defence.

Well done to the young Blues, who surely impressed the couple of hundred fans who took the trouble to attend.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

• 3 weeks later...

3-0 win today but not a great game. A few bits of decent play and a couple of good goals bit not a memorable Sunday.

Most positive was the 3 under 17s we had on view.

Those 3 will no doubt be part of our large first team squad now!

2 each at east kilbride in Baltic conditions. Played some decent football but final ball let us down.

Lewis McGrattan had a good game and looks decent. He's very quick and uses the ball well. Again young Ben Docherty defended well.

McGowan had another good game. Handling looked good and had one unbelievable save.

Ben Armour was busy and did everything but score. One off the line and another off the bar.

I would be tempted to promote the right back, Haynes, from the development squad to a starting place in the top team. Doyle has been nothing short of Chronic. I would much rather have a young prospect make the odd mistake that an experienced player who is continuously caught out and causing unnecessary defensive issues.

In an ideal world we would be looking to annihilate teams like the hedge trimmers and could promote a few development boys that day for experience. However, the current top team made a meal of it up there.

I would be tempted to promote the right back, Haynes, from the development squad to a starting place in the top team. Doyle has been nothing short of Chronic. I would much rather have a young prospect make the odd mistake that an experienced player who is continuously caught out and causing unnecessary defensive issues.

In an ideal world we would be looking to annihilate teams like the hedge trimmers and could promote a few development boys that day for experience. However, the current top team made a meal of it up there.

Brechin may be gubbins but we're not exactly strolling the second tier of development football. Senior pros would eat a lot of these guys alive, I reckon. It's a rare prospect who can come into a team at 16-18 and perform well. Even the likes of Lewis Strapp are unusual.

That said I've never seen Haynes so I could be talking bollocks.

EOho8Pw.png

I see we have been chosen to enter the Performance section of Project Brave.

I haven't really been keeping up to date with this so I'm not sure if this is good or not.

Looks like we're appealing so can't be that good:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/15662058.Eight_Premiership_clubs_awarded__elite__status_in_Scottish_FA_s_Project_Brave_structure/

Archived