Morton Vs Edinburgh City - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Vs Edinburgh City

TheGoon

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Twitter they had Craig Beattie playing centre back before going off injured.

Decent result but that's the level of opposition we were up against.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Despite the gubbins nature of the opposition I thought it was a decent performance from Morton. The new boys in central defence strolled through the game; Forbes was back to his best from dead-ball opportunities; Thomson looks as if he will score with decent delivery into the box and McHugh looks certain to have a few goal of the season contenders in his locker. The ticket system remains a complete shambles even with Edinburgh City only bringing 14 fans.

Still many issues with the squad but compared to recent performances today showed some promise. 

I thought their keeper was terrible. Dropped a cross out of his hands, made a real meal of a couple of saves (one slipping right through his hands again), and got off with a couple of ill judged rushes out to the ball. He did make a good save in the first half, but that was about it. It was very clear why he didn't come close to making it at our level.

I thought their keeper was terrible. Dropped a cross out of his hands, made a real meal of a couple of saves (one slipping right through his hands again), and got off with a couple of ill judged rushes out to the ball. He did make a good save in the first half, but that was about it. It was very clear why he didn't come close to making it at our level.

Agreed. Making several saves doesn't make you a good goalkeeper when all of them are routine. I can't think of one he made that wouldn't have been embarrassing to let in.

Anyway, much improved performance for all that the level of opposition means we can't read that much into it. Not surprised that the 4-3-3 worked better with the ball being moved more quickly rather than having Harkins routinely slowing things down, but again Harkins hasn't been up against opposition that poor so maybe that's unfair.

Thomson had an excellent game and seems to be developing an understanding with those round him which is good to see. Iredale strolled it and his distribution was really good, but at the risk of sounding like a broken record it doesn't say anything about how he'll cope with Championship teams.

Above all else it's hopefully a confidence boost ahead of the league after the Queen's Park and Motherwell fiascos.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Cathro really needs to be under pressure. They've backed him consistently with transfers and he keeps losing.

Looks like Kris Boyd was right after all.

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

Looks like Kris Boyd was right after all.

Kind of. He was right about him being a poindexter, but I don't even think he foresaw the tactical ineptitude and bizarre recruitment. Looks to be another one of these great coach, crap manager types.

I'd have thought Levein would have to take some of the flack for the recruitment side of things at Hearts...

Hopefully Cathro can just quietly slide in as a coach somewhere again and recoup from this disappointment. He's obviously young enough to get things back on track and maybe have another crack at being head coach/manager further down the line.

It is starting to look that way.

Nah. Cathro being pish isn't vindication of Boyd just as Berti Vogts being pish wasn't vindication of everyone who said Scotland shouldn't have a foreign manager. Just as Vogts wasn't shite because he was foreign rather than simply because he was a bad manager, Cathro wasn't shite because he was never a professional footballer and was a bit quiet when he was on a course with Boyd 10 years ago: he was shite because his tactics were all over the place and his team selections were bizarre.

Edit: Good article on that note here http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hearts/why-it-s-still-wrong-to-say-kris-boyd-was-right-about-ian-cathro-1-4519499

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Archived