20 Years Ago Today. - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

20 Years Ago Today.

Madton

What a day that was. The busiest I've ever seen scapa and the place was buzzing. Without a doubt the best morton team I've ever seen. Wonder where we would be today if we'd been promoted that year.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

I remember standing outside the season ticket gate about half 12 when there was nobody to be seen and every gate but the season ticket one was opened. I didn't get in the ground until about 2.30. Zhivago would have a fit if that had happened to him!

Never seen that photo, but I bought a panoramic picture of Cappielow from that day on the Homes of Football website which is now framed and on my livingroom wall. it's no longer listed on the site now though. Given that he played for Dundee United that day, Deano's always happy to remind me that I'm the owner of a framed picture of Steven Pressley!

Ahhh... I had a season ticket then (the last time I had a season ticket up until this season). I turned up about 2.15pm and got in quickly... I do know some season ticket holders didn't get in that day. Been downhill ever since  :mellow:

I arrived about 2:15 and walked straight in the season ticket gate while pals who were not season ticket holders never got in.

Re crowds..I remember the second Dunfermline home game, both st mirren games, the December home Dundee utd game and second last home game v st Johnstone were very well attended. I would question the official crowds!!!

I remember the day of the Dundee United game very well. Must have arrived before 1pm and joined the queue which was way down past the old bridge. Got to within 10/15 feet of the turnstiles about ten minutes into the game and then got told that we weren't getting in. Remember listening to the game on the radio in the car back up the road to Glasgow. Strange day.

Ahhh... I had a season ticket then (the last time I had a season ticket up until this season). I turned up about 2.15pm and got in quickly... I do know some season ticket holders didn't get in that day. Been downhill ever since  :mellow:

"Hoppy"

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Get it up you, you despicable bellend.

Cheers. Obviously not a very high attendance each home game but considerably, and consistently more than what we get these days.

They were also considerably higher than the crowds of the following season - an average of 2,787 in 95-96, compared with 2,731 for the campaign just finished - and down to a still respectable 2266 in the 98/99 season. That one season was a huge outlier on what Morton were getting through the gates during the rest of that decade. That is in part down to being in a multi-team title race as a newly promoted side. More decisively though, it was also a division packed with traditionally strong supports as well as close Central Belt outfits like Airdrie, Clydebank and Dumbarton. You couldn't really have picked a set of teams in the division that would have produced higher crowds. Morton's lowest crowd was 2560 because there wasn't a bumpkin outfit from Angus or some other hovel rolling up with 15 fans in a charabanc in November and again in March.

But of course, our esteemed chairman operates with a 'business model' that anticipates the attendances of the 95-96 season to occur every single year.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

St Johnstone on 21st October 1995 was the complete performance! Great hat trick by Hawke.

I seen to remember Dunfermline at home in the first 2-3 months of that season was pretty complete as well, 2-0 if I remember correctly. That midfield of McInnes, Mahood and Lindberg will take some bettering at Cappielow...

What Carew can do with a ball, I can do with an orange

If the tall guy with the Morton scarf is who I think then 20 years have not been too kind!

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

I seen to remember Dunfermline at home in the first 2-3 months of that season was pretty complete as well, 2-0 if I remember correctly. That midfield of McInnes, Mahood and Lindberg will take some bettering at Cappielow...

Im sure Dunfermline had won every game up until then. McInnes scored a lob im sure.

I was playing with the school team on the pitch that day.

If the tall guy with the Morton scarf is who I think then 20 years have not been too kind!

I don't think it's who you think it is...

What Carew can do with a ball, I can do with an orange

This one - with wee Moore playing for the Pars.

http://youtu.be/e8MaROIsCQA

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Archived