Championship 2018-19 Thread - Page 14 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Championship 2018-19 Thread

The Sun today:

Falkirk have drawn up a four-man shortlist to replace sacked manager Paul Hartley, with Jim Duffy, Stuart Taylor, Lee Clark and Massimo Donati all being linked with the job with the Scottish Championship club.

Was that before or after they got their knock backs? Sun know feck all as per.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would rate Duffy's time at Cappielow as 7 out of 10.  Got us promoted, a national semi-final, and our highest league placing in years, but ultimately made some bizarre decisions that just didn't work out - think he'd lost the plot a bit by the end. His weekly talking up of absolute dross opposition became rather embarrassing too.

Over all, one of our better managers over the last 20 years or so. He'd be able to get the likes of Falkirk organised, and up to a solid enough mid-table finish.

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

Would rate Duffy's time at Cappielow as 7 out of 10. Got us promoted, a national semi-final, and our highest league placing in years, but ultimately made some bizarre decisions that just didn't work out - think he'd lost the plot a bit by the end. His weekly talking up of absolute dross opposition became rather embarrassing too.

Over all, one of our better managers over the last 20 years or so. He'd be able to get the likes of Falkirk organised, and up to a solid enough mid-table finish.

Probably correct,and probably the first time we'd hear him talking up Morton as a big team. 'No team in this league is easy. You can't go to Morton and expect to win etc'.

Became a bit boring at Cappielow, but relative to Falkirk it would be quite pleasing to hear.

Wonder if they’ll get him for free as well?

Until there's a more credible source I'd assume it's a Sun journalist getting extremely confused by the difference between 'former' and 'current' manager.

If it is true then he's surely fallen out with the board or something, because there's no question that Falkirk are a step down in their current state. Would the board happily let him go with the thought that Hopkin was always the first choice?

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

If this is true it's an absolute gutter for us. The impact this will have on our season cannot be overstated. McKinnon has the team playing his way and we're heading for success under his system. It will be extremely hard for us to find a better manager, particularly after the season has started.

EOho8Pw.png

If this is true it's an absolute gutter for us. The impact this will have on our season cannot be overstated. McKinnon has the team playing his way and we're heading for success under his system. It will be extremely hard for us to find a better manager, particularly after the season has started.

Yeah, if it is a case that the board haven't made much attempt to stand in his way because they can go back to Hopkin because he was their first choice all along,that's still a big risk. Obviously I'd have been delighted with that in the summer but it risks upheaval to a team playing well - would Tidser be as outstanding in a Hopkin side, for example?

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Yeah, if it is a case that the board haven't made much attempt to stand in his way because they can go back to Hopkin because he was their first choice all along,that's still a big risk. Obviously I'd have been delighted with that in the summer but it risks upheaval to a team playing well - would Tidser be as outstanding in a Hopkin side, for example?

You'd hope that, after backing the manager to build his squad and seeing performances like Saturday's, this wouldn't be the case, and that the only way McKinnon would be allowed to leave is if a club pays off his (one-year rolling) contract. I don't want to just assume that the club has said he can go. It wouldn't surprise me, right enough, but it's not my first assumption.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived