Championship 2018-19 Thread - Page 9 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Championship 2018-19 Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have they produced any decent youth? Also, I have not heard much about their development squad.

Maybe it will take a few years to see the benefit.

"Newly-relegated Thistle's academy is open to boys and girls, with recent first-team graduates including goalkeeper Ryan Scully, defender James Penrice and striker Kevin Nisbet."

An absolutely bountiful harvest so far.

"Newly-relegated Thistle's academy is open to boys and girls, with recent first-team graduates including goalkeeper Ryan Scully, defender James Penrice and striker Kevin Nisbet."

An absolutely bountiful harvest so far.

It has produced a goal keeper for us and the other two have mustered 18 appearances between them in 4 years at Partick.

As said above though, it’s a hefty investment and you would expect to be seeing results from that in a few years time but I can’t think of any decent players that have came through up there in recent times.

To relate it specifically to Morton, a club of our size should be investing in a top-of-the-range scouting network, as opposed to a second tier youth system. It's far more effective and cost-efficient. We've picked up players like Tidser, Quitongo and Murdoch as young cast-offs from youth systems much bigger and better than ours. We've picked up players like Kilday, Lamie and Gaston by scouring the lower leagues for young talent. Inverness under Butcher, and more recently Motherwell have had excellent returns from signing up non-league talents from England. 

If we could take on four full-time scouts, utilising a combination of desk-based and traditional scouting methods, it would be a far more fruitful and efficient method of sourcing players than a youth system. With the rise in database player profiles, it also makes it far easier to scout targets in Europe and beyond. I would rather see Morton implement this sort of model, rather than a youth system in direct competition with bigger and more established youth systems.

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

To relate it specifically to Morton, a club of our size should be investing in a top-of-the-range scouting network, as opposed to a second tier youth system. It's far more effective and cost-efficient. We've picked up players like Tidser, Quitongo Murdoch as young cast-offs from youth systems much bigger and better than ours. We've picked up players like Kilday, Lamie and Gaston by scouring the lower leagues for young talent. Inverness under Butcher, and more recently Motherwell have had excellent returns from signing up non-league talents from England. 

If we could take on four full-time scouts, utilising a combination of desk-based and traditional scouting methods, it would be a far more fruitful and efficient method of sourcing players than a youth system. With the rise in database player profiles, it also makes it far easier to scout targets in Europe and beyond. I would rather see Morton implement this sort of model, rather than a youth system in direct competition with bigger and more established youth systems.

Check yr PMs, comrade. ;)

*insert signature here*

Willo Flood has his contract at Bali terminated due to restriction on foreign players  :1eye:  :1eye:  :1eye:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 

Get it right up the wee Middle Earth bastard.

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Get it right up the wee Middle Earth bastard.

😂

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

• 2 weeks later...

Archived