2024/25 Squad and Transfers - Page 8 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

2024/25 Squad and Transfers

Losing both of them to Partick would be a blow. 

Crawford has been decent this season he has brilliant energy and his work rate is better than anyone IMO in the squad he isn't a massive blow like Oakley would be though. 

I wouldn't have thought there will be any movement for a few weeks at least with Partick being in the playoffs there is a chance albeit a slim one that they could be in the premiership and if that's the case you would imagine their recruitment might change. 

Strapp and Oakley are the two I expect to lose but there might be quite a few who are out of contract who we see playing for another team in our league next season. 

Just now, RossMcC1874 said:

Losing both of them to Partick would be a blow. 

Crawford has been decent this season he has brilliant energy and his work rate is better than anyone IMO in the squad he isn't a massive blow like Oakley would be though. 

I wouldn't have thought there will be any movement for a few weeks at least with Partick being in the playoffs there is a chance albeit a slim one that they could be in the premiership and if that's the case you would imagine their recruitment might change. 

Strapp and Oakley are the two I expect to lose but there might be quite a few who are out of contract who we see playing for another team in our league next season. 

Partick‘s play-off prospects could be a real game changer- we could find ourselves with the dilemma of taking the correct stance of wishing nothing but misery on them, or hoping that they’re out the way so either less likely to help themselves to our top players, or at least these guys are less likely to come back to haunt us in the near future. All in all, a grim state of affairs, but one which can’t really be helped.

We can only piss with the cock we’ve got.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, DaftTon74 said:

So we either haven’t offered him one or the more likely is that we’ve offered him a deal, that is pretty crap. 

Well no, we could have offered a perfectly reasonable deal. Doesn't stop the bigger spenders chucking more at it.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Toby said:

Partick‘s play-off prospects could be a real game changer- we could find ourselves with the dilemma of taking the correct stance of wishing nothing but misery on them, or hoping that they’re out the way so either less likely to help themselves to our top players, or at least these guys are less likely to come back to haunt us in the near future. All in all, a grim state of affairs, but one which can’t really be helped.

We can only piss with the cock we’ve got.

By the same token, it seems bizarre that Partick are committing themselves to signings and contracts right now, that might not actually be effective for assembling a top flight squad. 

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:

Well no, we could have offered a perfectly reasonable deal. Doesn't stop the bigger spenders chucking more at it.

This. 

People need to remember that players don't necessarily leave because they've been offered a shit deal. It's all down to who else is interested and what is on the table elsewhere. 

Edited by Mr.Blue

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

1 hour ago, port-ton said:

Crawford was a key player in our system but with such a potential high turnover in squad there’s nothing to say we will definitely be playing in the same way next season. Imrie brought out his strengths as a player with his pressing ability but if we can recruit well in midfield this summer and bring in someone  who contributes more with goals and assists in his position then he won’t be as big a miss as it first seems.

if we continue to play the exact same way next season then he will be a massive loss as there’s no one better in the division at pressing high from midfield. 

Would mostly agree with this. I don't doubt it would be a tough player/option to replace, but that's the reality of football every single season. The players who are being tipped for a move elsewhere were out of favour and their career going absolutely nowhere when they were signed. We simply need to find those options again, with the benefit of a budget that should be verging on competitive for a change at the start of the transfer window. 

It would be an easier issue to manage if the fringe players from the youth team were looking more likely to step up. King's reports at Clyde seem unconvincing, and O'Boy has only been at tier 5 level. Both are probably at least a year from breaking through if they'll manage it all, so we'll need to identify and sign a direct replacement. And with question marks over both holding midfielders' longevity at this level, we could be facing a near complete turnover in the midfield.

That lack of continuity (if it happens) would be a bigger cause for concern for me rather than individual players leaving. We need to start the new season strong to get out of the League Cup group again to repeat at least some of the financial benefit that comes with progression. Sacking off July to get the 'right' players in the door isn't a realistic option. 

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

19 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

By the same token, it seems bizarre that Partick are committing themselves to signings and contracts right now, that might not actually be effective for assembling a top flight squad. 

Yeah, I agree. I’m more concerned about the Crawford story for now to be honest. Carries a bit more weight when I see a story coming from Scott Burns, who’s generally on the money, rather than some dumpling like Hyndland Maw on Twitter.

Through the League Cup games into the start of the season, Crawford looked like he was taking his game to the next level. Adding more goals and assists to his game would make him a player who might be able to step up a level. He didn't really keep that up, though. He reverted to being a player who you'd be happy to have in the team every week without ever really going to threaten PotY awards or anything like that. 

Maybe more of a loss for us than a gain for them, because I'm not sure if he improves their starting 11 but we might struggle to find a replacement. He plays a huge amount of minutes with very little in the way of injuries, and despite not pushing his game on to the next level he never really has a particularly bad game. We'd miss his energy, fitness and consistency. You know the minimum level your going to get with him, and that's hard to replace. 

https:/www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/24301757.robbie-crawford-rejects-incredible-morton-deal-partick-return

As expected it seems we tabled a 2 year deal with money we thought he couldn't turn down. Ah well, onto other targets.

23 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

https:/www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/24301757.robbie-crawford-rejects-incredible-morton-deal-partick-return

As expected it seems we tabled a 2 year deal with money we thought he couldn't turn down. Ah well, onto other targets.

Unfortunately we can't and shouldn't be trying to compete with Partick. Crawford is a good player and I'm gutted he's going but he's not irreplaceable.  Dougie will hopefully have planned ahead for players staying and going.

• Upvote 2

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Gutted to lose him but not the end of the world, if he was going to anyone else I would wish him luck but that doesn't extend to Partick. 

We obviously offered him a decent deal and he decided against it if others like Strapp and Oakley follow I won't be surprised but that's just football players come and go hopefully it's not a compete rebuild we need but I wouldn't be surprised if there are only a few from our best 11 who we see next season. 

Ah well, good player who gave his all for us but not irreplaceable. The club should not be offering deals outwith its means and unfortunately that leaves us with a risk of other clubs poaching our players. Partick’s day will come. 

Be a shame if both he and Oakley are starting for them next season but I’m confident Imrie will find suitable alternatives. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ferguson said:

Credit to the Tele for keeping on-message and naming them correctly 

image.png

I thought from what had been said recently that we would have had by now the list of players being released and those with whom contract discussions are underway. Is that imminent?

8 minutes ago, Mr Toon said:

I thought from what had been said recently that we would have had by now the list of players being released and those with whom contract discussions are underway. Is that imminent?

I think someone mentioned that the players were being told yesterday where they stand going into summer, so I'd imagine we'll be hearing some news over the next few days.

2 hours ago, Mr Toon said:

Cool your jets.

Literally only 1 club has released such an update so far.

But aye, shouldn't be too long if the conversations were taking place from yesterday.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Cool your jets.

Literally only 1 club has released such an update so far.

But aye, shouldn't be too long if the conversations were taking place from yesterday.

Would have thought some players are waiting to see how the playoffs, etc go before committing to anything too.