2024/25 Squad and Transfers - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

2024/25 Squad and Transfers

I'd be surprised if Strapp is still here next season, but that said it's also another off-season he's heading into with a knee injury. I think at the very least he deserves to be playing at the top end of the Championship. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Be interesting to see how Jordan Davies hits the ground he scored goals for fun albeit at a lower level it's quite unusual for us recently to sign a guy from outwith Scotland wonder how he will make the step up, you can't imagine he will be coming to warm a bench and where he fits in and the sort of system which Imrie adopts next season. Will it be more of the same long ball to Oakley or another such as Bird or more of a keep possession and look for runners from midfield or out wide etc. 

Personally I would like us to run with a young squad with a few experienced pros and take it from there the loan market also needs to be used a lot more even for more depth but again it all depends on budget exciting to see what changes will be made. 

As long as we don't see an Oakley or Strapp moving to like a Falkirk, I know Partick apparently liked the look of Oakley from what I have heard also. 

12 hours ago, RossMcC1874 said:

I know Partick apparently liked the look of Oakley from what I have heard also. 

Wouldn't be surprised if he went to Dundee United next season after he sworded them this season. They have previous on us by signing Grimmy last year.

Prefer it if he didn't go anywhere though.

Edited by Hands of Cowan

1 hour ago, Hands of Cowan said:

Wouldn't be surprised if he went to Dundee United next season after he sworded them this season. They have previous on us by signing Grimmy last year.

Prefer it if he didn't go anywhere though.

While I rate Oakley highly, DU signed Grimmy after they came down. I don't think they'd sign Oakley, at least not as a starting XI player, now that they're going back up.

EOho8Pw.png

If Oakley gets a top flight offer it's going to be as cover, and more likely to be for a St Johnstone level side if they were to stay up than Dundee United who will be believing they should push straight for the top six (and likely failing miserably). I'm less concerned about that because Oakley seems to be really enjoying being one of the first names on the teamsheet and after how his time at Inverness ended probably isn't going to give that up lightly, unless he has stupid money thrown at him.

The bigger worry is another Championship side viewing him as an upgrade on their starting XI and being able to tell him he's coming in as first choice, which Partick and Raith probably won't but everyone else could, and we're simply not going to compete with Dunfermline or Falkirk on wages.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Partick have apparently offered a deal to Gorgeous George. I'd assume this will be to serve as backup to Brian Graham, so hopefully it's not enough to entice him to that lot. 

1 hour ago, BishopBrennan said:

Partick have apparently offered a deal to Gorgeous George. I'd assume this will be to serve as backup to Brian Graham, so hopefully it's not enough to entice him to that lot. 

I think it could be the other way around with Graham approaching 37.   If its purely down to wages I'd like to think we could keep him for the sake of a couple of hundred quid a week, especially with the supposed increased budget.

Edited by LargsTON

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

8 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

That lanky dick Graham has at least another season or two in him. 

Speculate to accumulate and get him signed. No fucking around 

I'm not sure mate.  Very few players a few months short of their 37th birthday have another full season left starting as a main striker most weeks.  I think Graham will be a much depleted force next season.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Strapp and Oakley are the only two players that I'd be willing to offer wage increases to in order to get them signed up for next season. 

• Upvote 2

That would be a major kick in the stones if Oakley goes there. You would assume it will be a 2 year deal and more money than we are offering. Although, I do agree with a few in the sense I think he would be playing second fiddle to Graham who unfortunately is still a pain in the arse to play against at this level. Fingers crossed that would be enough to put him off. 

Get the cheque book out and sign him up Morton..

I'd be devastated if any of our boys went to Partick. Horrible bastard of a football club.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

At our level it is ALL about the money. No one playing in the championship would pass up an extra £100 per week unless it perhaps was a real inconvenience for living/travel costing them more. They quite simply couldn’t afford to. And not to go all David Martindale but we probably will be the poorest team in the league next season. Imrie has done amazing getting a tune out of players who are uninspiring on paper or weren’t very good for us before he arrived. Fingers crossed he can keep it up for next season and beyond. Looking forward to seeing who he signs and hopefully even the likes of Garrity, McGratten and King improving their consistency as they’ve all shown signs at various times in the last couple of seasons that they can play. With the full rollercoaster ride of over 2 years at the helm surely Dougie will himself have a better take on how to improve the team’s performances. I just really hope he doesn’t get jaded and can keep his and our enthusiasm levels high. 

Will our financial position be significantly worse than Ayr, Airdrie, Livi and Inverness/Hamilton? 

Falkirk, Queens Park, Dunfermline, Partick and one of Raith/St Johnstone/Ross County would normally outbid us in a straight offer but I don't see any reason as to why we couldn't compete directly with the first group for signings. 

2 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Will our financial position be significantly worse than Ayr, Airdrie, Livi and Inverness/Hamilton? 

Falkirk, Queens Park, Dunfermline, Partick and one of Raith/St Johnstone/Ross County would normally outbid us in a straight offer but I don't see any reason as to why we couldn't compete directly with the first group for signings. 

Yeah was about to say the same thing. I think we will have a competitive budget to compete next season. On course to make ~250k profit so I'm sure Dougie will be getting a chunk of that and Dalrada seem really bought in, Brian Bonar seemed very impressed when he was over for the cup game so hopefully he pumps similar amounts in next season, if not more.

Be interesting to see what happens with Queens Park. Will Haughey continue to bankroll them to the same level? Not convinced.

Inverness appear fucked and hopefully get relegated.

No doubt Partick, Falkirk, Raith and Dunfermline will have bigger budgets but the league should be a cracker next year. Just hope Ross County don't come down and buy the league again.

Dougie's often talked about the spirit in the team - and irrespective of the pre-interview result, he's consistently defended and praised our boys through thick and thin. I know that it's been another "if only ....." disappointing season - but we have a manager who's literally been there, done that, and worn the shirt. Below (to me) is a prime example of the degree of togetherness only a respected ex-player can instil into his bargain-basement squad.

All I care to remember over the last six months is the way I felt when the ref blew his whistle at the end of the Motherwell game. For me - that was special enough to cancel everything else out.

Onwards and upwards - Mon eh Ton.

Edited by SassenachTon