Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Ayr United (2nd January) - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Ayr United (2nd January)

That was genuinely a thoroughly enjoyable game of football. Pretty much camped in their half the entire second half and other than a 5/10 spell of possession they had in the first half they were absolutely dug shit.

Onwards and upwards 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Fantastic result and avery good performances today. Thought Ayr started off reasonably well and kept possessions with doing much at all. Credit to the team as they didn't panic (unlike a few of the guys in the shed who must have gotten FM24 from Santa and think they know the game👀). 

First goal was lovely football again. We have scored some great team goals lately and Robbies second and third were beauties. The perfect hat trick and he was flying. Could and should have had a few more but again a win and another clean sheet is what it's all about. We played some lovely football at times too. Don't think there was a bad performance in the team today. Standouts would be Muirhead obviously, Crawford and Shug. Great see Jai involved and O'Boy getting minutes too.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

As comfortable day at the office as I can remember for a long time. Whole team were excellent and we really took the game to Ayr in the second half. Mullen was a spectator the full game and honestly can’t recall him having a save to make. What a turnaround it has been since the start of December, hats off to the management and players. Also nice wee cameo for Aiden Mcgeady today who sneaked off after being on the pitch for 12 minutes. Shame. 

• Upvote 1

That must be up there with our best performances under Imrie alongside the pumpings of Inverness, Hamilton and Dunfermline.

Really enjoy that today, we were so comfortable and could easily have scored a few more. We look so solid at the back, 4 clean sheets in this league is some going and huge credit to the back 5 

We will miss Robbie on Saturday but great to have 4 options who can come in for him.

Good to see a busy Cappielow again too, that Partick game on the 13th looks very tasty!

Edited by Madton

That was terrific yesterday. A superb performance from Muirhead in particular - happy to admit I was shouting don't shoot in the build up to the second with him being on his right foot - but all 11 of them played well. Wilson has been imperious week in week out lately.

At the start of December I was saying we needed a good month to get ourselves in a realistic position to survive. I didn't in my wildest dreams think we'd be closer to 4th than 9th by January 2nd. A huge challenge coming up on Saturday but we've every reason to be confident with our current form. What's so pleasing about this turnaround is that it's not happened with any players being bombed out or anything like that, it's been players who weren't doing well a couple of months ago all improving and things clicking.

• Upvote 2

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Ayr started the stronger and although we couldn't get out of our half for ten minutes, they didn't do a lot with their possession. After a series of overhit crosses from the left, we made a move down the right and scored from it.

Second half was a very comfortable 45 minutes with two great goals from Robbie.

Referee, as ever, was hopeless. Peak was a series of  heavy tackles from their players outside our box and he somehow came up with a drop ball.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Highlights are up.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Just watched highlights back again; the build up to the first goal is superb. Totally shits all over the concensus from other managers that we're big, thuggish Morton

43 minutes ago, BishopBrennan said:

I'd love to see Iain Wilson signing beyond his loan spell. I'm hoping that come February 1st we're sticking a pre-contact in front of him. He's been excellent in the last couple of months. 

It was no different last time he was here after he got up to speed. Quite why the signing got absolutely lambasted is beyond me.

Also worth noting, big Broadfoot has been absolutely solid. Just seems to go about his business quietly. A gamble starting a season with him expected to be the lead CB, but its going well atm

• Upvote 2

TIME FOR CHANGE!