The Scottish Gas Scottish Cup 2023-24 - Page 12 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Scottish Gas Scottish Cup 2023-24

Toby

41 minutes ago, Scott said:

Yep, they were awful against Spartan’s. Undoubtedly they are favourites to beat us, but no one will want to come and play at Cappielow right now. Dougie will have us set up in the best way. 
We need clarity asap on ticketing arrangements and how we split the Shed/Sinclair St going for this game. There will be more inside Cappielow for this than the Motherwell game. 

Aye, no question. Hearts fans on P&B already saying they could bring 5k.

Edited by SassenachTon

53 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

To the tune of The Wild Rover? Someone can fine tune this, but I've heard something along the lines of - 

"We went to Tynecastle on Wednesday night

They beat us three-nil oh they gave us a fright

When they came to Greenock, we went on a spree

The Morton got five and the Jam Tarts got three

And it's Greenock Morton...."

It refers to a 3-0 loss in a League Cup 1st leg tie which was followed three days later by a 5-3 league win. Mark McGhee and John Goldthorp got doubles, Roddie Hutchison got the other. Lots of fighting in the crowd that day. We won the 2nd leg of the LC tie 2-0.

The following season we played them eight times.

Cheers AT. Was at the home game so no issues with the context, was a bit vague on the words. 

7 hours ago, ChampTon said:

The new GM really is a breath of fresh air.

Yep, credit to him. It wasn't an auspicious event, the reduced capacity, but this is an excellent recovery with just the right attitude. 

It's actually weird to have a well-run club to support. 

EOho8Pw.png

22 minutes ago, Hej said:

Do you think they'll give season ticket holders first option for tickets, or a free for all? 

Don’t know if they’d be able to do that with Fanbase, but they certainly should do everything they can to make sure that happens.

With capacity reduced the way it was for Motherwell, this is probably the most in-demand game at Cappielow since 1996.

Club have had to cancel hosting a schoolboy's international and the women's cup tie due to the Hearts game.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

8 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

Ah well, they could always use Firhill. They'll have bookings avaliable 

Would throw cash strapped Partick a lifeline after chucking away £80k plus half a Celtic Park gate with their inevitable late collapse against Livi.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ChampTon said:

The new GM really is a breath of fresh air.

Agree. He comes over as a decent and enthusiastic guy, full of fresh ideas. I'm sure he'll be a great asset going forward.

However.... it has to be said that the very late communication of the drastically reduced capacity for the Motherwell game, when they must have been already aware of it days or even weeks before, was undoubtedly a PR disaster. 

Maybe I missed it, but for me at least it's also not clear who made the decision to deduct the capacity of the Sinclair Street end from the total Cowshed capacity, just in case it rains. Was that a decision of the club, the police, the SFA, the HSE, the stadium licensing authorities? When a stadium gets it's operating license, I assume the capacity is calculated and stated. Was the Sinclair Street end capacity also deducted from this certificate?

Whoever made it, it will cast us a lot of potential income for the Hearts game if it's not overturned, because I think it's fair to assume the at least as many who were at the Motherwell game, and probably some more, will want to get a ticket for the Hearts game.

Why can't they do the pre/post match stuff beside the doctors room at the Sinclair St end they could build a bit of scaffolding there opening up the Cowshed. We should be maximising all spaces open to us.

Edited by Brian Skelton
  • Upvote 2

Big B

39 minutes ago, Brian Skelton said:

Why can't they do the pre/post match stuff beside the doctors room at the Sinclair St end they could build a bit of scaffolding there opening up the Cowshed. We should be maximising all spaces open to us.

IMG_5913.jpeg.6f3222b77070ef79e65506085a3a3d44.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 2/12/2024 at 9:23 AM, Cet Homme Charmant said:

However.... it has to be said that the very late communication of the drastically reduced capacity for the Motherwell game, when they must have been already aware of it days or even weeks before, was undoubtedly a PR disaster. 

Maybe I missed it, but for me at least it's also not clear who made the decision to deduct the capacity of the Sinclair Street end from the total Cowshed capacity, just in case it rains. Was that a decision of the club, the police, the SFA, the HSE, the stadium licensing authorities? When a stadium gets it's operating license, I assume the capacity is calculated and stated. Was the Sinclair Street end capacity also deducted from this certificate?

Whoever made it, it will cast us a lot of potential income for the Hearts game if it's not overturned, because I think it's fair to assume the at least as many who were at the Motherwell game, and probably some more, will want to get a ticket for the Hearts game.

A bit of research and you'll find that you can buy 10,000 emergency rain ponchos for 5000 quid. So all you need to sell is 250 tickets to cover the additional cost. Surely this is something worth looking at and if implemented we can forget about the reduced capacity and look forward to another few thousand people in Cappielow. I'm sure I've saw this before in the Scottish and Ingerlush premier leagues, where fans who were exposed to the rain, all got free ponchos.

Speculate to Accumulate 

• Downvote 4

51 minutes ago, WhowouldbeaMortonfan said:

A bit of research and you'll find that you can buy 10,000 emergency rain ponchos for 5000 quid. So all you need to sell is 250 tickets to cover the additional cost. Surely this is something worth looking at and if implemented we can forget about the reduced capacity and look forward to another few thousand people in Cappielow. I'm sure I've saw this before in the Scottish and Ingerlush premier leagues, where fans who were exposed to the rain, all got free ponchos.

Speculate to Accumulate 

I presume this sounded hilarious in your head.

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

20 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

I presume this sounded hilarious in your head.

Anybody can be negative and try to sound funny at the expense of another. It's just down right condesending and frustrating to read.

We're all pumped for the game and want to see the club make the best of it for everyone concerned.

vikingTon on the other hand seems to think he's the next Frankie Boyle........aye right. Nevertheless, I'm sure he has a ton of suugestions and improvements in his funny bag, just waiting to get out and be heard.

Later VT and enough of yir pish........

• Downvote 1

The only person making nonsensical 'suggestions' in an inane attempt at 'wit' is yourself. Thanks for playing anyway and don't let the door hit your arse on the way out. 

PS: Don't think that your white knighting for previous, gutless loser custodians of the Cappielow dugout like Gus McPherson has been forgotten either. Very much an 'autofile in the bin' case.

• Like 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Aside from ponchos, the notion of taking weather into account RE capacity is an odd one IMO. You go to the game knowing an indicative forecast and even if you dont, well its Greenock. If you choose to stand in an open area of cappielow then so be it. That's a personal choice. There's every chance you'll get wet.

• Upvote 1

TIME FOR CHANGE!