Squad for next Season - Page 131 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

3 hours ago, TAFKAC said:

And how many of them have pulled up trees elsewhere?  Rejection, and dealing with it, is a key part of football.   

Indeed, only a relatively small percentage of youth players in clubs at our level will go on to become full-time professionals. So when you're surviving on a shoestring budget, as of course we are, there is zero room for sentimentality. I'm sure it can't be pleasant telling a young lad he's being released, but better that than spending limited money and resources on him if there's little or no chance of getting a return on that investment.

And if the lad is unlikely to make it as a full-time professional footballer, surely it's also better for him to be told that sooner rather than later, while he's still young enough to pursue another career or go into further education.

Edited by Cet Homme Charmant

Hope we aren't talking about Reece Lyon? Lyon, who moaned to the paper about how Imrie treated him leaving only for the gaffer to retort in the rag saying we actually paid him handsomely to end his contract early.

Reece Lyon, recently of Kelly Hearts and a semi-professional barber.

4 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

Hope we aren't talking about Reece Lyon? Lyon, who moaned to the paper about how Imrie treated him leaving only for the gaffer to retort in the rag saying we actually paid him handsomely to end his contract early.

Reece Lyon, recently of Kelly Hearts and a semi-professional barber.

Before I consider throwing shade at Reece Lyon, being a barber (as opposed to what other semi-professional career?) and Kelty Hearts as a club to play for, I would probably make sure that I hadn't recently been touting a far more ridiculous diddy character, who has just signed for the very worst team in the same division. 

Frankie 'Frankie' Deane:

On 7/11/2023 at 7:23 PM, ChampTon said:

Think we've missed one here. A young guy who you could give a years contract with an option to extend it for another year incase he turns into the next Kevin De Bruyne. 

On 7/12/2023 at 12:26 AM, ChampTon said:

Dougie ain't much taller than young Frankie, and he had an alright career.

On 7/13/2023 at 1:47 PM, ChampTon said:

I'm sure there's still plenty of folk interested in getting a season ticket but are looking at how bare our squad looks and not bothering. If I hadn't already gotten mine during the early bird, I would be having thoughts about not getting one as of now. People do like an exciting signing. Deane was a player to get fans off their seats, like on Saturday.

Safe to say that your views can be safely filed in the bin where they belong then.

• Like 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

10 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Before I consider throwing shade at Reece Lyon, being a barber (as opposed to what other semi-professional career?) and Kelty Hearts as a club to play for, I would probably make sure that I hadn't recently been touting a far more ridiculous diddy character, who has just signed for the very worst team in the same division. 

Frankie 'Frankie' Deane:

Safe to say that your views can be safely filed in the bin where they belong then.

Being involved in both the youth set-ups of Celtic and Burnley clearly show there's a player in there when discussing Deane. One pass against St.Mirren in a glorified friendly provided more excitement than Reece did in his years at Cappielow. 

If Reece was half as good as he thought he was, he wouldn't of ended up on his current career trajectory - any blame in relation to Morton or Imrie are unfound on his part. Carlo Monti rings a bell.

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

Being involved in both the youth set-ups of Celtic and Burnley clearly show there's a player in there when discussing Deane. 

It doesn't really, all it really says is that at an early age he showed some potential. 

To be fair though, you were far from being alone in salivating over him and voicing disgust at Dougie's decision not to offer him a contract, based pretty much solely on one (admittedly sublime) pass in a meaning less pre-season friendly.

That was simply a reply to Greacen2000 on a topic that was previously discussed on here (if not resolved), and not a revelation. 

I agree that if a young player is not in the manager’s plans then he should be told, but also given an explanation which will help him and his family decide what to do next. According to the players in the cases discussed, that didn’t happen. To cite that some of those players haven’t gone on to set the Heather on fire elsewhere doesn’t prove not giving them an explanation was correct.

This is why I’m now saying it’s refreshing to hear Dougie is now explaining his thought process on individual players, to the fans as well as the player. If I’ve read this explanation and then the player is released, academy graduate or otherwise, I’ll be disappointed but will accept the manager’s decision as the correct one for the player and the club.

I’ve asked the Annan fans for their take on Dougie’s explanation re Michael Garrity, and it appears to be accurate that tracking back to help team mates etc. is not part of his game. To not take on defensive responsibilities when your team’s in a relegation battle is quite concerning. If Dougie has spelled this out to the player and he more or less refuses to add these attributes to his game then I could only agree 100% if Dougie decides to release him if the penny doesn’t drop. Especially when Dougie can get this out of players 10 years older.

As I say, clarity from the manager helps greatly and can nip any speculation in the bud.

Happy New Year to all Morton Fans!🔔 

• Downvote 4

9 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

Being involved in both the youth set-ups of Celtic and Burnley clearly show there's a player in there when discussing Deane. One pass against St.Mirren in a glorified friendly provided more excitement than Reece did in his years at Cappielow. 

If Reece was half as good as he thought he was, he wouldn't of ended up on his current career trajectory - any blame in relation to Morton or Imrie are unfound on his part. Carlo Monti rings a bell.

Nice try, but the non-leagues are stacked with absolute jobbers who could put 'Celtic youth', 'Burnley youth' or any other meaningless tag on to their CV. Kaziah Sterling, Tottenham under-21 starlet anyone?

And then we move on to your next piece of bluster. Apparently Lyon's current career trajectory is a sure sign that he's not got what it takes. Well what does the exact same argument say about your boy wonder Deane, whose career trajectory will involve taking kick-off eight times per game en route to certain relegation to League Two? 

You're in absolutely no position to try and slate Lyon or indeed Kelty Hearts after that utter shite take on affairs. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

12 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

I agree that if a young player is not in the manager’s plans then he should be told, but also given an explanation which will help him and his family decide what to do next.  

Again, why would an explanation be necessary, as the reason for not being offered a contract is blindingly obvious to the player and his family. You're just being a dick for the sake of it now.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Again, why would an explanation be necessary, as the reason for not being offered a contract is should be blindingly obvious to the player and his family. You're just being a dick for the sake of it now.

If an explanation is unnecessary, then why has Dougie started giving them?

• Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

If I was to hazard a guess, it's to placate tedious, repetitive dicks.

If you can take your dislike for me out of your thoughts on this, can’t you see the benefit of at least letting the player know the reasons he’s being released? 

• Downvote 2

42 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

If you can take your dislike for me out of your thoughts on this, can’t you see the benefit of at least letting the player know the reasons he’s being released? 

Let me think.... oh I dunno..... perhaps it might just be something as simple as he believes the player is not good enough to make it was a full-time professional footballer at Championship level, or above? Yeah, let's go with that.

And why on earth would you assume that tedious, repetitive dick referred to you? 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Let me think.... oh I dunno..... how about he believes he's not good enough to make it was a full-time professional footballer at Championship level, or above? Yeah, let's go with that.

And why on earth would you assume that tedious, repetitive dick referred to you? 

Because when you prioritise that sort of language over addressing the topic, that means you are referring to the person you are replying to?

• Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

Because when you prioritise that sort of language over addressing the topic, that means you are referring to the person you are replying to?

That is not necessarily so, it would entirely depend on the question, the context, and the answer. The fact that you think of yourself as a tedious, repetitive dick is entirely down to you. :)

• Upvote 1

Following on from Imrie's comments, the club have confirmed that Garrity is back with us now and King will be back from Monday, but is still with Cpyde for this weekend.

Squad depth, what a concept.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

1 hour ago, DreamOakTree said:

I am fairly certain that no one on here 'dislikes' you however a few people disagree with your posts and opinions. Let's be clear that the 2 are totally different. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

35 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

Following on from Imrie's comments, the club have confirmed that Garrity is back with us now and King will be back from Monday, but is still with Cpyde for this weekend.

Squad depth, what a concept.

Has King been recalled or Clyde sending him back? 
Clyde fans thought he would do better with better players around him, but admitted he’s been average at best for them in League 2 which was a surprise. 

45 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

That is not necessarily so, it would entirely depend on the question, the context, and the answer. The fact that you think of yourself as a tedious, repetitive dick is entirely down to you. :)

I’ll try one more time to get back on topic:

Do you feel that Dougie’s new approach to explaining his decisions on young players’ futures to the fans, but most importantly, to the players, is preferable to just releasing them with no explanation? 

• Downvote 2