MacPherson and Millen Stay On - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

MacPherson and Millen Stay On

Jamie_M

1 hour ago, dmcewan16 said:

Never knew we had someway qualified manager's in out support.

we need to start building again and handing out 1 year deals does not hep that. 

Lol.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Tonosaurus said:

McElhone was heavily involved in the recruitment of Butler and Sterling.

McPherson brought in McGinn and Fox.

You didn't answer my question. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

5 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Should we have given McElhone the chance to build his own squad under the same circumstances? 

VT even for you look at your post. A fitness coach via an experienced manager who has won things you are being a bit silly.

3 hours ago, pink_panther said:

I'm so glad I haven't put a penny MCT's way.Lipstick on a pig springs to mind.

That is your choice but just under 800 Morton fans and still growing want their club to succeed but at the end of the day will you be missed.

11 minutes ago, bigB said:

VT even for you look at your post. A fitness coach via an experienced manager who has won things you are being a bit silly.

Is it silly? What if we brought on a manager who wasn't experienced and hadn't won things. (JJ, for example.) Would he not get a chance to build his own squad?

I'm not particularly against the McPherson appointment - only I think a two year deal is a massive risk - but given that he's been in charge for months already it's pretty clear people are going to judge him on his record as well as his two signings.

EOho8Pw.png

Just now, TRVMP said:

Is it silly? What if we brought on a manager who wasn't experienced and hadn't won things. (JJ, for example.) Would he not get a chance to build his own squad?

I'm not particularly against the McPherson appointment - only I think a two year deal is a massive risk - but given that he's been in charge for months already it's pretty clear people are going to judge him on his record as well as his two signings.

The negativity is typically the same by some Morton  fans the old regime is gone now we have people who care about the club in charge okay there will be mistakes made along the way but ffs give the manager a chance hound him by all means if he balls it up after he brings his own players in.

1 minute ago, bigB said:

The negativity is typically the same by some Morton  fans the old regime is gone now we have people who care about the club in charge okay there will be mistakes made along the way but ffs give the manager a chance hound him by all means if he balls it up after he brings his own players in.

I very much hope McPherson is a success and is here for two years (and indeed years to come after that, since we'd be doing well). Some people will be negative, sure, it's part and parcel of the whole thing.

The interesting part for me will be to see the squad makeup. Per the business plan I guess it's going to be a core of experienced pros and a lot of youth. That makes a lot of sense to me. So if Gus is the man to do that - both the recruitment and the head coaching - good luck to him.

EOho8Pw.png

24 minutes ago, bigB said:

So finishing 9th and winning a play-off deserves punting for one but a two year deal for the other? I don't think so. 

There's already been time for our experienced manager to show what a significant upgrade he was on previous coaches in the dugout and yet he got a lower points return than the fitness coach that you're deriding now. How do you account for this and how does it justify a two year deal?

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

6 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

So finishing 9th and winning a play-off deserves punting for one but a two year deal for the other? I don't think so. 

There's already been time for our experienced manager to show what a significant upgrade he was on previous coaches in the dugout and yet he got a lower points return than the fitness coach that you're deriding now. How do you account for this and how does it justify a two yea

The new manager has a CV that has WON  things in professional football and knows how to win a league which makes him better qualified to manage a football  club. So I ask you what makes a fitness coach that won a few games BETTER?

26 minutes ago, bigB said:

The new manager has a CV that has WON  things in professional football and knows how to win a league which makes him better qualified to manage a football  club. So I ask you what makes a fitness coach that won a few games BETTER?

I didn't say that the fitness coach would be a better appointment. If it were up to me then neither would get anywhere near the nod and we'd have been opening it up to applicants as well as headhunting more promising candidates weeks ago instead. 

How do you account for the yawning gulf between the (quite frankly ancient) accomplishments on this CV and the actual league at this club, that was demonstrably worse than what a fitness coach achieved with a slightly weaker squad? The more that you deride the latter, the worse this appointment looks. 

If that experience was relevant then we'd have finished 6th in the league instead. 

Over the last 20 years or so we have tried and failed at every managerial permutation going. Outside of the big money clubs, there are few who have been sucessful. Countless clubs have tried, failed and saddled with significant debts. So it's going to be very difficult to get it right and progress.

Appointing Gus and Andy IMO is a low risk appointment. Two guys who have been through a lot in football terms, understand the league and are prepared to work with the budget available. Likewise, given the stage of their respective careers, I don't think they will be thinking of it as a stepping stone to better things. Unlike many who would be interested in the job, but with one eye on the next step and what's in it for them.

As far as the 2 year deal, and given all of the managers that have come and gone, I'd be sure the 2nd year would be an option to be taken up, rather than a given. 

As far a best men for the job, just look at what David Moyes has done. Hounded by large proportion of the WHU fan at the start and eventually came good. I'm being optimistic in my view, but I hope Gus and Andy can do the same.

For all our sakes, we cannot afford to have Gus and Andy fail. We need them to suceed with the fans fully backing them, or it could be the lowland league for us before we know it. IMO, its disheartening to read on here the negativity on most aspects Morton related. We have appointed a management team for next season and some of the feedback has been pathetic.

Aye, we should have got this guy or this guy...or we waited to long...bottom line is, its not a very appealing job when you think about the amount of abuse you can expect to take. Only on the Morton Form can you expect to read 10 pages of sh*te about the ticket fiasco.....just wait for the first defeat to come along and all the would be managers have their shot at the targets on Gus and Andy's backs.   

15 minutes ago, WhowouldbeaMortonfan said:

Over the last 20 years or so we have tried and failed at every managerial permutation going. Outside of the big money clubs, there are few who have been sucessful. Countless clubs have tried, failed and saddled with significant debts. So it's going to be very difficult to get it right and progress.

Appointing Gus and Andy IMO is a low risk appointment. Two guys who have been through a lot in football terms, understand the league and are prepared to work with the budget available. Likewise, given the stage of their respective careers, I don't think they will be thinking of it as a stepping stone to better things. Unlike many who would be interested in the job, but with one eye on the next step and what's in it for them.

As far as the 2 year deal, and given all of the managers that have come and gone, I'd be sure the 2nd year would be an option to be taken up, rather than a given. 

As far a best men for the job, just look at what David Moyes has done. Hounded by large proportion of the WHU fan at the start and eventually came good. I'm being optimistic in my view, but I hope Gus and Andy can do the same.

For all our sakes, we cannot afford to have Gus and Andy fail. We need them to suceed with the fans fully backing them, or it could be the lowland league for us before we know it. IMO, its disheartening to read on here the negativity on most aspects Morton related. We have appointed a management team for next season and some of the feedback has been pathetic.

Aye, we should have got this guy or this guy...or we waited to long...bottom line is, its not a very appealing job when you think about the amount of abuse you can expect to take. Only on the Morton Form can you expect to read 10 pages of sh*te about the ticket fiasco.....just wait for the first defeat to come along and all the would be managers have their shot at the targets on Gus and Andy's backs.   

Omg a commonsense post well done.

Mainly out of necessity of course, but Gus brought many of his QP signings in from lower levels/the Juniors - to reasonable success. We won’t be going through the bins to that degree but hopefully it means he’s got slightly more of an eye for players at seaside league level than our last few managers.  

2 hours ago, TheGoon said:

Mainly out of necessity of course, but Gus brought many of his QP signings in from lower levels/the Juniors - to reasonable success. We won’t be going through the bins to that degree but hopefully it means he’s got slightly more of an eye for players at seaside league level than our last few managers.  

He did mention his scouting experience when he brought Hynes in from the cold. Hynes didn't look at all out of place. On paper, all of this bodes well. It just remains to be seen how well it works out over the summer. 

Two years is a big risk of a contract but if this is what the new BOD has decided, they've earned the benefit of the doubt. 

EOho8Pw.png

6 hours ago, bigB said:

It's called being realistic and taking into account facts. If you want to be optimistic then by all means go for it but you can't accuse others of being negative just because they aren't on the same wavelength as you.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

The way I see it, even though it sounds cheesy as hell but the takeover and us moving in to fan ownership is just the beginning of the journey and not us reaching our destination once Crawford is gone. 

There's going to be mistakes made and many lessons learned from the new board as they get to grips with running the club so any stability the club can find at the moment is a positive for me. If Gus is a transitional manager who keeps us in the championship next season then I'll be reasonably happy. If he earns his second year then even better. 

It's not going to be easy being fan owned/funded while dealing at the bottom of the full time food chain but the great thing is that the fans as a collective have the power and responsibility to make change if we really disagree with how the club is being run or footballing decisions made by the board. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

12 hours ago, pink_panther said:

I'm so glad I haven't put a penny MCT's way.Lipstick on a pig springs to mind.

Is your thought process here that because they've made a managerial appointment you disagree with, the entire ownership model is guaranteed to fail and the takeover is a waste of time?

Using this barometer, no football club has ever had a successful ownership model.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

For what it's worth, I'm on the fence with this one.  In the past, especially during his distant reign at St. Mirren, I had a kind of begrudging respect for Gus McPherson.  He took a mid-table 1st Division side up to the SPL and kept them in that league for several seasons afterwards.  In fact, the Fuddies came a bit unstuck with him.

Ever since Jim Duffy left us, what we've really been needing is another Jim Duffy*.  It's not going to be pretty, there will be frustrations along the route from tactics to results, but we need to take into account that we are not an attractive proposition for the best up and coming managers out there, we are not going to attract the best young players even at our level, we are not even going to be a club of choice for the best journeyman pro's at our level, so it's a case of doing the best with what we are and what we've got.  It's crap, I know.

Gus McPherson was available, reasonably local, had a reliable assistant en tow, probably not going to command a huge wage and can perhaps make a fist of it, considering its a bit of a shitshow.

I consider David Hopkin to be someone who took the piss right out of Morton.  There's no way that the squad that he assembled were the best available to us within his means.  I reckon he'll probably do well at Ayr United which makes me think that he was pursuing an agenda when he was with us.  Gus McPherson will prove to be an improvement for us on Hopkin.

ETA:

*I didn't say we need Duffy back.  Just someone like him, experienced, out of favour, something to prove, someone who could perhaps make a go of it.  The V is sniffing around, just wish to clarify this.

*insert signature here*

3 hours ago, port-ton said:

It's not going to be easy being fan owned/funded while dealing at the bottom of the full time food chain but the great thing is that the fans as a collective have the power and responsibility to make change if we really disagree with how the club is being run or footballing decisions made by the board. 

Of course it won't, but it's entirely within the powers of the new board to consider a different model that wouldn't put us near the bottom of that food chain from the start. Instead, we seem to have locked in more of the same for the first two years in the name of 'stability'. 

That decision makes little sense and overlooks the significant downside risk that if next season closely resembles the one just past, only with different blazers in the stand, then the faith in fan-owned change will be frittered away far more quickly than with a clean slate approach.  

10 hours ago, WhowouldbeaMortonfan said:

Yes, I'm sure that previous holders of the Marseille, Lazio or Zenit jobs around Europe speak in hushed tones about the thankless task Gus has in appeasing a Scottish second tier fanbase.

The reality is that Scottish fanbases are a bunch of hilariously soft touch happy-clappers in comparison to well, anywhere outside the British Isles. The vast majority of our countless, dung managers since 2002 either jumped ship mid-season or were (eventually) removed by the board for inexplicable failure. 

As for it not being an appealing job, if the club had called for applications then they would have had to put aside several days just to draw up a shortlist. And if it was such a poisoned chalice then why did McPherson and Millen agree to take over, when it was a complete bin fire behind the scenes with one-third of the season to go? They weren't doing it out of the kindness of their hearts. The job is objectively better now than it was in March with the takeover signed off and as clean a slate as you can get to build your own team. 

More simpering nonsense then from a Wormtongue who should have left the building alongside the Raes that you were sucking up to previously. 

Archived