MacPherson and Millen Stay On - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

MacPherson and Millen Stay On

Jamie_M

1 hour ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

For sure he didn't exactly set the heather on fire since taking over in March, but it has to be said he'd been dealt a pretty shite hand. Not wetting my knickers with excitement over this appointment either, but personally, I think we should reserve judgement until he's had a chance to build his own squad. 

Good luck Gus and Andy.

Except that the club haven't reserved judgment at all: they've handed out a two year deal based on the same evidence that fans have seen. So why should fans at a *checks notes* fan-owned club be the only ones to be disallowed from forming a view?

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Giving a new deal is the sort of short-termist, compromise decision that I've warned would be the fruits of play-off survival. Adding another year for someone who was brought in as a firefighter and hasn't build a squad at this level for years is an enormous red flashing light. What happens if we go down next season, decide to go part-time and Gus and the gang don't fancy that?

It would be foolish for the club to not have some crucial break clauses in this deal given our current circumstances and oh aye a global pandemic. That would apply as much to McPherson as it would to Antonio Conte.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

22 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Except that the club haven't reserved judgment at all: they've handed out a two year deal based on the same evidence that fans have seen. So why should fans at a *checks notes* fan-owned club be the only ones to be disallowed from forming a view?

I did mention elsewhere in this thread on another post that giving him a 2 year deal was a massive risk. On that we agree.

And of course I didn't say no-one can have a view. If people want to write him off now as a terrible appointment based on 2 months in charge with an inherited sub-par squad, that's absolutely fine by me! :)  But I'm happy to reserve judgement and give the guy a chance and see how he does with his own squad. 

Anyway, good luck Gus and Andy. 

8 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

I did mention elsewhere in this thread on another post that giving him a 2 year deal was a massive risk. On that we agree.

It's both a risk and a vote of confidence in the work that's he's done since arriving. Unless you think that they would have handed out a two year deal in March as well for such an outstanding applicant. 

You either agree with this judgment by the club or you do not. There is no neutral 'wait and see' stance available. 

"And of course I didn't say no-one can have a view. If people want to write him off now as a terrible appointment based on 2 months in charge with an inherited sub-par squad, that's absolutely fine by me!   But I'm happy to reserve judgement and give the guy a chance and see how he does with his own squad."

You said that we should reserve judgment right now - i.e. the fanbase - so you're clearly not 'absolutely fine' with that at all. You're making an argument against this and losing badly.

Happy enough with the consistency. Doubt he will be a world beater but if he consolidates us in the league during a transitional year then I'll be happy enough. 

He seemed fully aware of the flaws of the squad and the nonsense season they had to go through so hopefully he has an idea of the type of players we need in to not be so feeble creatively next season. 

No idea what our transfer business will be like but imagine we will still be at the bottom of the full time teams in terms of wages so will reserve judgement once we have a squad in place. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

3 hours ago, EanieMeany said:

A two year deal, meaning significant pay-offs when they inevitably get punter in January.

Getting through the play-offs shouldn’t cover up the fact that we were absolutely shite under McPherson and it’s utterly depressing he’s been rewarded with a two year contract for it.

Totally agree.   Disappointing yet predictable appointment.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

16 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

It's both a risk and a vote of confidence in the work that's he's done since arriving. Unless you think that they would have handed out a two year deal in March as well for such an outstanding applicant. 

You either agree with this judgment by the club or you do not. There is no neutral 'wait and see' stance available. 

I disagree with MCT in giving them 2 year contracts

On the appointment of Gus and Andy themselves.... that's not so clear cut. On the one hand you could say that they merited it by achieving their remit of avoiding relegation. And although the team still struggled under their short tenure, there were perhaps some games where they may have showed some signs of some improvement (e.g., the cup game at Motherwell, the draws at Dens and at home to Hearts, and the two Airdrie games). So I'm in two minds about this one, and on that basis I'm willing to give MCT the benefit of the doubt, for now, and support their decision. But of course like any managerial appointment, it could go either way, only time will tell. 

On the plus side at least they've appointed Gus nice and early, instead of appointing Gus the week before the first League Cup game after a month of chasing managers and getting laughed out the building by every decent candidate. 

41 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

You said that we should reserve judgment right now - i.e. the fanbase - so you're clearly not 'absolutely fine' with that at all. You're making an argument against this and losing badly.

Even by your standards, you're nitpicking to the nth degree here. You lived in Holland for a while, didn't you, then you'll know already the expression 'mier neuker', I'm sure you'll have heard it many times ;)

Obviously, when giving your opinion in any discussion, you're trying to persuade others to agree with you. It's normal therefore in such discussion to encourage people to agree with you by using expressions like 'we should'. Doesn't mean I'm not absolutely fine with those who still disagree with me though.

Swing and a miss, thanks for playing anyway, champ. :)

35 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

And although the team still struggled under their short tenure, there were perhaps some games where they may have showed some signs of some improvement (e.g., the cup game at Motherwell, the draws at Dens and at home to Hearts, and the two Airdrie games).

On the flip side; one league win in eight, four of his five wins were against lower league opposition, needed extra-time to beat East Fife and to overcome Montrose, failed to win against Alloa and Arbroath in the final two league games and kept selecting McGinty and Blues.

11 minutes ago, RealTonKid said:

On the flip side; one league win in eight, four of his five wins were against lower league opposition, needed extra-time to beat East Fife and to overcome Montrose, failed to win against Alloa and Arbroath in the final two league games and kept selecting McGinty and Blues.

I agree, there were some positives and negatives during their short tenure, that's why I said above I'm in two minds about their appointment. 

1 hour ago, EanieMeany said:

The idea that a couple of months the job isn't sufficient to form a judgement of his performance is utterly absurd, frankly. 

Hmmm, that's not quite what I said though. I said that completely writing him off now on the basis of a couple of months in the job with an inherited sub-par squad is, IMO, premature.

Let's see what he can do once he has built his own squad. If next season we're as bad (or, heaven forbid, even worse) than we were this season, then you will have been proven right to write him off. 

This appointment is probably one of necessity. We don’t really have time to go through an interview process and unless someone had been lined up already, continuity was always on the cards.  I’m more concerned with the standard of player we sign. A bellweather might be whether Blues leaves or stays - that would set a benchmark.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

38 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Hmmm, that's not quite what I said though. I said that completely writing him off now on the basis of a couple of months in the job with an inherited sub-par squad is, IMO, premature.

Let's see what he can do once he has built his own squad. If next season we're as bad (or, heaven forbid, even worse) than we were this season, then you will have been proven right to write him off. 

It's not really writing him off to state that he performed very badly last season and doesn't deserve another crack at it, far less two years. He may well turn out to be good, but he absolutely does not deserve a two year on the basis of what he's shown so far and there's no point trying to dress it up any other way.

Let's bare in mind here that we already know he wanted to keep McGinty, that fact alone should set serious alarm bells ringing about the kind of ideas he has.

AWMSC

22 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

It's not really writing him off to state that he performed very badly last season and doesn't deserve another crack at it, far less two years. He may well turn out to be good, but he absolutely does not deserve a two year on the basis of what he's shown so far and there's no point trying to dress it up any other way.

Let's bare in mind here that we already know he wanted to keep McGinty, that fact alone should set serious alarm bells ringing about the kind of ideas he has.

I've already said multiple times that I don't agree with giving him 2 years. 

We've only got McGinty's word on that... I suspect he was just making himself out to be in great demand to ingratiate himself to the Ayr fans.  

25 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

It's not really writing him off to state that he performed very badly last season and doesn't deserve another crack at it, far less two years.

I think his performance in these 2 months in charge was like the team's - mixed. Some positives and some negatives. Therefore also taking into account the shite hand he was playing with, I think to say he 'performed very badly' is a bit harsh. Personally, I think overall he did an OK job with the shitestorm he inherited.

Archived