Commercial Activity - Page 101 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Commercial Activity

Jamie_M

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Something similar was suggested, Dale pointed out that if the club offers discounts then the same deal HAS (by law) to be offered to all supporters, home and away throughout the season.

As he said, if they do that then the club would be basically giving money away.

Obviously there's a balance to be drawn between an offer that just discounts current customers vs the benefit of attracting new ones and obviously it would have to apply to home and away.

The rest of that point didn't make much sense though like saying you can't run one-off promotions or offer a deal to a specific group. Happens everywhere (student, NHS, people dressed as pirates etc).

Edited by Jamie_M
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Apparently that's the rule (law). Whether is SPFL, SFA rules or Legislation wasn't made clear. But that's what was said. 

Has to be some crossed wires somewhere otherwise there would be no concessions, no free tickets etc.

Rule definitely in place that you can charge away fans more for equivalent tickets but discounts for specific groups seems fair game.

Just ordered a sack full of tat. International shipping is a flat rate of 20 quid so I loaded in more stuff to make it 'worth it'. Had I not seen this I wouldn't have done it. I have personally funded the George Oakley extension.

• Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:

Somebody's reading the commentary.

Merch tweet out of nowhere.

There was a question last night about merch so maybe a follow up to that.

(The question was about the arrangement with Smiths, which’ll be reviewed. Dale said something along the lines of expecting a club our size to be generating more from merch than we are. Seemed to be a real frustration point for him so be interesting to see how that develops).

1 hour ago, Deego said:

There was a question last night about merch so maybe a follow up to that.

(The question was about the arrangement with Smiths, which’ll be reviewed. Dale said something along the lines of expecting a club our size to be generating more from merch than we are. Seemed to be a real frustration point for him so be interesting to see how that develops).

Know they have said that in the past so good to see it's still on the agenda. Catering should also be looked at if we still just get a flat fee for it.

On 3/21/2024 at 11:38 AM, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Something similar was suggested, Dale pointed out that if the club offers discounts then the same deal HAS (by law) to be offered to all supporters, home and away throughout the season.

As he said, if they do that then the club would be basically giving money away.

Perhaps Dale has misunderstood the question posed, as providing a concession on certain grounds should apply all season and should apply to both home/away fans. That's not money wasted, so long as the club does eligibility checks at a ticket booth. There's no magic law compelling SPFL clubs to offer their existing discounts based on age or economic activity either - although if a club did something buckshee like giving a tenner off after a pint in Chaplin's or whichever wine bar/bistro Partick fans frequent before their home matches, then you'd still expect the SPFL to knock heads together.

Regardless, given our track record, I wouldn't be taking any Morton club official's insistence that something can't be done for Very Important Reasons seriously until Warren 'Iron Man's Hawke's tenure is a fairy tale used to frighten weans into eating their broccoli.

Edited by vikingTON

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

While you do in theory have to provide the same discount for away fans, that’s where multi-game offers are the way forward, and to be fair to the club, they did offer this for the four games from Airdrie until next week’s game against Queen’s Park.

My only criticism of that would be that the Airdrie game came just before the end of the month, when many folk are typically paid, so shelling out £70-odd for a modest discount just before your wages come in isn’t always ideal.

Doing a monthly deal might be an idea- if there are two home games in a month, offer a £40 ticket and if there are three do one for £60.

3 hours ago, vikingTON said:

First team players are regularly involved in those engagement activities though, as a browse through MITC content would demonstrate. Leaving aside the fact that it's not actually a footballer's contractual obligation to grow the fanbase - that's commercial/marketing behind the scenes - the idea that they're not doing their bit is nonsense. 

I didn't say anything about players not doing their bit?

I do think with the 500 odd kids involved with MitC through football the club could be more proactive with that partnership. If the kids sign up for a team or a community session then could we have them as part of a 'Young Ton' group or something similar where they get a newsletter, tickets to games, vouchers for merch on their birthdays etc. Just a suggestion. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Just now, Mr.Blue said:

I didn't say anything about players not doing their bit?

I do think with the 500 odd kids involved with MitC through football the club could be more proactive with that partnership. If the kids sign up for a team or a community session then could we have them as part of a 'Young Ton' group or something similar where they get a newsletter, tickets to games, vouchers for merch on their birthdays etc. Just a suggestion. 

That was the entire premise of the post you responded to, with a 'missing a trick' claim.

I'm hardly chief cheerleader for Community based engagement, but I'm really not seeing how we're missing out on some obvious sure-fire way to build the fanbase, on top of what is already taking place along similar lines. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

7 hours ago, vikingTON said:

That was the entire premise of the post you responded to, with a 'missing a trick' claim.

I'm hardly chief cheerleader for Community based engagement, but I'm really not seeing how we're missing out on some obvious sure-fire way to build the fanbase, on top of what is already taking place along similar lines. 

No it wasn't. 

15 hours ago, Toby said:

While you do in theory have to provide the same discount for away fans, that’s where multi-game offers are the way forward, and to be fair to the club, they did offer this for the four games from Airdrie until next week’s game against Queen’s Park.

My only criticism of that would be that the Airdrie game came just before the end of the month, when many folk are typically paid, so shelling out £70-odd for a modest discount just before your wages come in isn’t always ideal.

Doing a monthly deal might be an idea- if there are two home games in a month, offer a £40 ticket and if there are three do one for £60.

Agree. To split hairs, if I was marketing it I'd say 2 games for £39. Looks better and you can say saving a fiver. And so on.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

5 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

No it wasn't. 

Yes it really was though:

"As has been said we need to get more involved in schools. Back in my day even the likes of Martin Doak, John McNeil and Jim Holmes would even turn up to Cubs and Boys brigade events and they weren't even full time!!

Reaching out to local boys clubs who obviously have an interest in the game is a no brainer as they would provide coaches to watch the youngsters and it would be highly likely to add some parents through the turnstiles.

We have "a good bunch of lads" who were not utilising enough if @ all in the future support. How often is there a first team player or 2 showing up at youngsters prize giving events/sports days nowadays? First team football doesn't end when you walk off the training pitch imho."

5 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Yes it really was though:

"As has been said we need to get more involved in schools. Back in my day even the likes of Martin Doak, John McNeil and Jim Holmes would even turn up to Cubs and Boys brigade events and they weren't even full time!!

Reaching out to local boys clubs who obviously have an interest in the game is a no brainer as they would provide coaches to watch the youngsters and it would be highly likely to add some parents through the turnstiles.

We have "a good bunch of lads" who were not utilising enough if @ all in the future support. How often is there a first team player or 2 showing up at youngsters prize giving events/sports days nowadays? First team football doesn't end when you walk off the training pitch imho."

It really wasn't.

Regardless of what posts you quote that wasn't the reasoning behind my point.