Betfred Cup Group Stage July 2019 - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Betfred Cup Group Stage July 2019

Try reading the post for the sake of comprehension next time.

'Shankland is a far worse striker than Safranko' am I missing something?

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Shankland is a far worse striker than Safranko' am I missing something?

I think you are. Safranko is a far better striker than Shankland, played at a much better level, international caps (for a decent nation), but isn't saying Shankland is pish, just that Safranko is a lot better, which is fair comment

"He's not the messiah........He's a very naughty boy!.............Now P*ss Off!"

I think you are. Safranko is a far better striker than Shankland, played at a much better level, international caps (for a decent nation), but isn't saying Shankland is pish, just that Safranko is a lot better, which is fair comment

Safranko is certainly a more talented footballer but Shankland scored double the League Goals in 2 less games last season. Shankland also had more assists.

Argument can be made that a natural goalscorer is more important for winning titles than a classy talented striker.

Safranko is certainly a more talented footballer but Shankland scored double the League Goals in 2 less games last season. Shankland also had more assists.

Argument can be made that a natural goalscorer is more important for winning titles than a classy talented striker.

In a purple patch before reverting to type.

Remains to be seen if he can recapture that.

In a purple patch before reverting to type.

Remains to be seen if he can recapture that.

Yes that's fair and totally accurate. If he does repeat it then its hard to see past Utd for the title. But it is a big if.

Yes that's fair and totally accurate. If he does repeat it then its hard to see past Utd for the title. But it is a big if.

Let's hope he doesn't or it will just intensify the reasons why we should be absolutely hounding the guy for his attitude with us.

what kind of reception do you think Jim Duffy will get tomorrow? My feeling is he definitely shouldn't be booed however there's an element of the support who never really took to him from his first season so i could see it happening. For m he took us as far as he could and had to go but he also brought us  some decent memories as well.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

what kind of reception do you think Jim Duffy will get tomorrow? My feeling is he definitely shouldn't be booed however there's an element of the support who never really took to him from his first season so i could see it happening. For m he took us as far as he could and had to go but he also brought us some decent memories as well.

Whether it's right or not he will get a round of applause I imagine. Garry Harkins got one ffs

As has been mentioned, he had one excellent purple patch in a team riding on the crest of a wave. Archie Campbell had a purple patch at this level despite being a very limited player. There’s absolutely no guarantees with Shankland this season.

what kind of reception do you think Jim Duffy will get tomorrow? My feeling is he definitely shouldn't be booed however there's an element of the support who never really took to him from his first season so i could see it happening. For m he took us as far as he could and had to go but he also brought us  some decent memories as well.

I honestly don’t think he will get much of a reception at all. He was here, met the expectations of some people at the club but not others, then returned to his natural level. I can’t say I really care about him now, even when considering the little hissy fit he had after we punted him.

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

There will be a few renditions of the Duffy song, possibly the Kudus one, but nothing more. Have no real animosity towards Duffy despite his moaning in the press, but he shouldn’t exactly receive a hero’s welcome either. I doubt the 1086 in attendance will really notice though.

There will be a few renditions of the Duffy song, possibly the Kudus one, but nothing more. Have no real animosity towards Duffy despite his moaning in the press, but he shouldn’t exactly receive a hero’s welcome either. I doubt the 1086 in attendance will really notice though.

1083 - we can't make it tomorrow.

Can someone please moan quietly and shake their head on my behalf? Cheers.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Dundee United already had Å afranko, Osman Sow and Nicky Clark on the books - a better set of forward options than the likes of Brian fucking Graham who Ross County strolled the league with last season. The issue is not that they don't have good enough forwards to score, but rather the piss-poor service provided by the players behind them in Neilson's system. Exhibit A being former sand-dancer in chief at this parish Paul McMullan, who after doing some fancy stepovers usually gets one great ball in a game and ninety-nine wild efforts. His final ball is so wildly inconsistent as to make anticipation from a centre forward practically impossible. Then they have a no. 10 role for a squad that doesn't actually have a credible creative talent, hence why Nicky Clark was jobbing about for them behind Shankland against Hearts on Friday night. 

If they just went for a simple 4-4-2 then they would probably win the league just by out-gunning teams most weeks - that's all Ross County did last season - but while Neilson is wedded to his shan tactical 'philosophy' no amount of rotating centre forward picks will make them any better. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Dundee United already had Å afranko, Osman Sow and Nicky Clark on the books - a better set of forward options than the likes of Brian fucking Graham who Ross County strolled the league with last season. The issue is not that they don't have good enough forwards to score, but rather the piss-poor service provided by the players behind them in Neilson's system. Exhibit A being former sand-dancer in chief at this parish Paul McMullan, who after doing some fancy stepovers usually gets one great ball in a game and ninety-nine wild efforts. His final ball is so wildly inconsistent as to make anticipation from a centre forward practically impossible. Then they have a no. 10 role for a squad that doesn't actually have a credible creative talent, hence why Nicky Clark was jobbing about for them behind Shankland against Hearts on Friday night.

If they just went for a simple 4-4-2 then they would probably win the league just by out-gunning teams most weeks - that's all Ross County did last season - but while Neilson is wedded to his shan tactical 'philosophy' no amount of rotating centre forward picks will make them any better.

If you agree that a fair summary of that is that Neilson is the reason they never went up last season and his shan tactics will cost them this season - agreed.

As has been mentioned, he had one excellent purple patch in a team riding on the crest of a wave. Archie Campbell had a purple patch at this level despite being a very limited player. There’s absolutely no guarantees with Shankland this season.

Shankland scored more goals last season than Campbell has career goals, so it's not exactly the same thing. Shankland might struggle to continue his goalscoring form, but it was much more than a Campbell level purple patch.

Dundee Utd were the best team in the league from January. Only Ross County matched them from when Neilson took over. They weren't exactly great last year, but I really don't see who will match them for points this season. I reckon Shankland will score a decent amount.

As you say, there are no guarantees, but this would be my prediction.

Shankland's ability seems to vary in inverse proportion to his weight.  Last season with Ayr he looked a couple of stone lighter than when he was with us - at which time he was a big disappointment.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Archived