Morton vs. Peterhead - 24th November 2018 - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton vs. Peterhead - 24th November 2018

capitanus

Brief highlights. How badly is McKeown turned for their (admittedly well-worked) opener?

Iredale and McHugh both do well for the equalizer.

McKeown ripped. Terrible pass by Iredale in the build up to their goal as well.

Ryan Dow was a constant threat throughout albeit anybody with half a bit of pace could have caused us problems on Saturday. Hopefully Waddell will be fit for tomorrow.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This team lacks a wrecking ball midfielder. Peterhead's thuggery should have been sorted out in the first half since the referee wasn't willing to do it.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

This team lacks a wrecking ball midfielder. Peterhead's thuggery should have been sorted out in the first half since the referee wasn't willing to do it.

Agreed. Someone like Martin Hardie at his best would have been ideal. I couldn't believe how many times the ref spoke at length and repeatedly to their players before he got the card out and I've seen the red card flashed often for tackles a lot less brutal and cynical than Stevenson's on Oliver.

Chance for Ben Armour to step up. It's that or Thomson.

Or perhaps the club could update us more than once in a blue moon on the centre forward who they signed in the summer and hasn't kicked a ball in anger for months. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

A really disappointing and disjointed performance. Our defence are incredibly shaky and do not look convincing at all. Kilday is absolutely done and we should cut our losses with him in January, yet another poor performance and given he's now played over a dozen games, I see nothing to convince me that he's ever going to be good enough ever again. Although Peterhead's goal came down our left hand side, the channel between Tumilty and Kilday is a clear and obvious weakness that can be exploited by teams below our level, never mind at this level. 

The midfield in the first half was incredibly flat and one paced. Even if you're giving Tumilty and Iredale the benefit of the doubt as they're now playing at wing back, they offered very little going forward. Iredale, aside from the excellent cross for our goal, was really poor. His passing, especially his long passing, was really poor and his decision making going forward wasn't good enough. I can't pinpoint whether it was an instruction or his own decision making, but Iredale had a few chances to play either a cut back or play the ball inside before taking the full back on, and failed to do so. The lack of intelligence and variety in attack wasn't limited to Iredale, but I thought that was the most obvious example. While I'm glad he is now playing through the middle, Telfer simple needs to contribute more and stop going missing for ten minute spells when the game gets scrappy. The lack of cohesion between Oliver and McHugh is also concerning. I remember saying last season that the two of them need to strike up a better understanding with each other and Saturday shows little sign of improvement. 

In terms of his game management, Johansson deserves credit for being bold enough take McAlister off at half time. Millar's introduction improved our midfield instantly, however it did not cure the issue of us being incredibly predictable and pedestrian middle-to-front. This shape simply does not seem to work when we are expected to win and take the initiative in the game. If we go out of the Scottish Cup, in a season where we really don't have anything else to get excited about, it's going to be a major blot in Johansson's copy book. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

A really disappointing and disjointed performance. Our defence are incredibly shaky and do not look convincing at all. Kilday is absolutely done and we should cut our losses with him in January, yet another poor performance and given he's now played over a dozen games, I see nothing to convince me that he's ever going to be good enough ever again. Although Peterhead's goal came down our left hand side, the channel between Tumilty and Kilday is a clear and obvious weakness that can be exploited by teams below our level, never mind at this level. 

The midfield in the first half was incredibly flat and one paced. Even if you're giving Tumilty and Iredale the benefit of the doubt as they're now playing at wing back, they offered very little going forward. Iredale, aside from the excellent cross for our goal, was really poor. His passing, especially his long passing, was really poor and his decision making going forward wasn't good enough. I can't pinpoint whether it was an instruction or his own decision making, but Iredale had a few chances to play either a cut back or play the ball inside before taking the full back on, and failed to do so. The lack of intelligence and variety in attack wasn't limited to Iredale, but I thought that was the most obvious example. While I'm glad he is now playing through the middle, Telfer simple needs to contribute more and stop going missing for ten minute spells when the game gets scrappy. The lack of cohesion between Oliver and McHugh is also concerning. I remember saying last season that the two of them need to strike up a better understanding with each other and Saturday shows little sign of improvement. 

In terms of his game management, Johansson deserves credit for being bold enough take McAlister off at half time. Millar's introduction improved our midfield instantly, however it did not cure the issue of us being incredibly predictable and pedestrian middle-to-front. This shape simply does not seem to work when we are expected to win and take the initiative in the game. If we go out of the Scottish Cup, in a season where we really don't have anything else to get excited about, it's going to be a major blot in Johansson's copy book. 

Was he ever that good, though?

I think not. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

McAlister was ill, a forced change.

As someone said above, an overhaul of the team is needed. We have a lack of pace in all positions - no chance of success if a team lacks pace.

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

Iredale, aside from the excellent cross for our goal, was really poor. His passing, especially his long passing, was really poor and his decision making going forward wasn't good enough.

I'm never mistaken for the chairman of the Jack Iredale fan club but if the wing-backs are resorting to long passes on a regular basis then that points to a midfield issue to me. There are three of them in there and at least two should be close enough to the wing-backs to offer a simple pass at any given time. You don't want or even need Xavi to spray the ball around in that role - you move the ball inside and advance up the park to receive a return ball.  

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Was he ever that good, though?

I think not. 

Yes, let's have that debate again. The 26,398th time is definitely going to be more decisive and it will reach a clear consensus. 

McAlister was ill, a forced change.

As someone said above, an overhaul of the team is needed. We have a lack of pace in all positions - no chance of success if a team lacks pace.

There's also the possibility that Johannson, correctly, exaggerated the illness as a justification for hooking his captain at half time. 

I'm never mistaken for the chairman of the Jack Iredale fan club but if the wing-backs are resorting to long passes on a regular basis then that points to a midfield issue to me. There are three of them in there and at least two should be close enough to the wing-backs to offer a simple pass at any given time. You don't want or even need Xavi to spray the ball around in that role - you move the ball inside and advance up the park to receive a return ball.  

As I've stated in my previous post, there definitely is a midfield issue, but that doesn't excuse how poor Iredale was technically. Wing backs shouldn't be spraying the ball around regularly, however there will be the odd occasion where all players on the park will be required to play a long field pass of some description. He should also be capable of playing a measured pass up the line/into the channel for one of the front two. It got to the point where he stopped looking for passes altogether, even when there were the correct option, and elected to drive forward with the ball when he shouldn't have. That's not good enough. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Get Harkins back

My shites after a night on the Strongbow at the Broomy darts are harder than Harkins. Imagine letting a espadrilles wearing, Audi TT driving freak of nature like Jamie fucking Stevenson body one of your players and make it out of Cappielow in one piece. Completely unacceptable. 

Get Hardie or Mark Pickering in the team to repay him with interest. 

Harkins won every 50-50 tackle he was involved in last season and sent his fair share of bodies flying. He'd be welcome back far as I'm concerned.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

I think Harkins would excel in the midfield we have now. Millar playing behind him and Tidser would be tremendous.

I was seething when we signed him originally but he did well in his time here. I await VT to point out that he was a CM in a team that finished near the bottom last season but don’t think he was utilised correctly for the most part given Duffy couldn’t find a settled team all season.

Archived