Duncan Douglas Foulds Rae Obe 1931-2018 - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Duncan Douglas Foulds Rae Obe 1931-2018

GiGi

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Away from Football, I recall speaking with him at a Player of the Year thing at the Spinnaker around 2010/11 and he said that his company donated to over 300 charities in the previous year.

There is a lot of good things which Mr Rae and his companies will have done that very few know anything about.

We all got frustrated at times as supporters of Morton, and indeed we voiced our opinions, but he has ensured two decades of football at Cappielow after administration. There were a few things which conspired against us throughout that time, not least the whole Gretna charade, but at least we still have Morton to support.

It's thanks to Douglas Rae. He'll be fondly remembered.

*insert signature here*

Really sad news about Dougie. His love for the club will be forever remembered and his saving us forever appreciated. Let’s do it this year for him, would be a perfect tribute to the man.

Sorry to hear the news. Without him there would be no Morton and for that we can be eternally grateful. For all the criticisms over the years he’ll be remembered as a legend for what he did to save the club, and rightly so.

Sad news indeed.

His tenure has had it's flaws but nobody can deny that everything was done with the best of intentions, his love for the club and the fact that he stepped in when needed to ensure the club survived will never be forgotten.

From being thrown into the air at Raith to the often cringe moments when on the mic (particularly announcing Alan McMoonimoon) you won't be forgotten in a hurry.

RIP Mr Rae.

Yours Aye.

Sad news on such a beautiful day. When no-one else was willing to step up to the plate DDFR saved our and his club. You can argue he never achieved what he should have with his investment but you cannot question his desire to take Morton forward. Hopefully Crawford shares his dad's passion and belief in the club resulting in promotion, the Scottish Cup and European glory - never give up on the dream. Thanks for everything Dougie.

Exactly my thoughts right now.

I think his announcement of a new signing on he pitch, whose name he said wrong (can't remember who it was) is up there with one of my favourite moments. I'll miss those pre-match pep talks on the pitch.

Thoughts go out to the extended Rae family

Yes, sad indeed, he certainly Saved the Ton for us all.

I was thinking of that very day just as I came to the above post, "our new signing ALAN McMeniman"

Aa Everyone else has said but for Douglas Rae Greenock Morton Football Club would not be there without a doubt it was His desire to bring Top Flight Football back to Cappielow.. Hopefully under Crawford Rae His desire shall be brought Home lets Hope in the Season ahead under Ray McKinnon We shall have a Great Season.. Thank You Douglas Rae.. & God Bless

Sad news indeed, I find it hard to believe that Mr Rae won't be back in his seat next season. He saved the club, he gave us our club back. He will never be forgotten for what he did. RIP Mr Rae.

I have no compunction in saying that if some chap starts throwing grenades or starts using pistols, we shall kill him

R.I.P. Mr Rae. Thoughts are with the family.

Thank you for saving our club.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

I’d prefer to wait until the day a new stand goes up than to rename the main stand after him. It’s hardly an appropriate tribute to name a stand that’s falling to bits after him.

My best memory of Dougie was the year that Airdrie fell out with us over comments in our match day programme and the Chic Kavannah linesman fiasco. On the last game of the season at Airdrie, Dougie came in beside the Morton fans refusing to sit with their board in the directors box.

Condolences to all the family. Gone but not forgotten.

Archived