Championship 2018-19 Thread - Page 51 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Championship 2018-19 Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you're saying Crawford didn't know this shareholder change and pressure was coming?

I don’t know what Crawford knew/thought/felt. I’m saying there has been a change in shareholding at Golden Casket and that has had an impact on Golden Casket’s willingness/capacity to underwrite the risk/losses. That’s it. The rest is people wanting to read something else into what I’ve said.

I don’t know what Crawford knew/thought/felt. I’m saying there has been a change in shareholding at Golden Casket and that has had an impact on Golden Casket’s willingness/capacity to underwrite the risk/losses. That’s it.

But youre also denying that he knew about it and sold season tickets on the basis that he had this big plan...

TIME FOR CHANGE!

But youre also denying that he knew about it and sold season tickets on the basis that he had this big plan...

No I’m not. I said I don’t think that’s (what Jamie described) happened.

I think it has been becoming increasingly clear that something like this has been happening. Not paying for the WDE to be properly policed on Friday was yet another sign that we have cut right back. I've been trying to hope that there have been other reasons for what has been going on, but I think that's denying the evidence which has clearly been there. 

I said a while back that I'm more worried about what is going on behind the scenes than I am about JJ (which isn't saying that I'm fine with JJ). 

I can completely believe what cmdc is saying about this. There were plenty of signs in the summer that we would be making a go of this, or at least investing in the club to make it easier to sell. And there are signs that from as early as August that the plan changed. We signed players like Millar, McAlister, Denny, and Telfer, who wouldn't have come cheap. We signed a new catering agreement. We cut the price of season tickets. We apparently spent plenty of money to attract McKinnon here. It's clear that something changed after that point - there are cheaper ways to scam fans!

I don't think that's necessarily untrue, but at the same time there were question marks at the time about how robust the plan was (which, admittedly, I didn't particular give much credence to) and how long-term it really was.

As I've said before, it's seemed to me for a while that the idea was to make a bit of an effort in the summer, get the ticket money in and hope things went well enough to see it through to this summer, and try to offload the club in a decent position: effectively the equivalent of slapping some new wallpaper and emulsion on your living rooms wall before you put your house on the market. If anybody fancies offering a credible explanation as to how selling a plan that was never going to be kept, or that relied on the existence of an old guy at death's door, isn't dishonest, I'm all ears.

If there was a serious, robust plan in place, McKinnon and his team would have been given two year deals as would the likes of Tidser and Millar. The proof is in the pudding.

AWMSC

I don’t think that’s what happened.

That would be under the presumption that with the knowledge of Dougie's imminent passing the new shareholders wouldn't have all discussed their plans for one of their biggest businesses when the time came that they would be taking over.

I very much refuse to believe that it was all cloak and daggers behind Crawford's back and the moment Dougie passed they decided to pounce with this shock news.

I would be far more willing to believe that Crawford himself is one of the shareholders who holds the thoughts he described them having in the article, rather than he's been blindsided from his three year plan at the first hurdle and has to accept it.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I don’t know what Crawford knew/thought/felt. I’m saying there has been a change in shareholding at Golden Casket and that has had an impact on Golden Casket’s willingness/capacity to underwrite the risk/losses. That’s it. The rest is people wanting to read something else into what I’ve said.

I don't really see a big conspiracy. Crawford knew his father's shares would change ownership and that those inheriting could choose to e.g sell them to parties uninterested in the club or just withdraw their support for it. The details of this and what shareholders choose to do isn't really the point here.

The criticism of Crawford is that he sold a 3-year plan as though he was in control of the situation and without knowing if he could even attempt to deliver on it.

Well, 3 year plan dissolved in 7 months. There is the incentive to sign up for next season. We are struggling this season but the budget to be slashed. That will see us in the top tier.

Fan ownership at Cappielow would be an absolute disaster! Whp are the fans that would step up and how would it be decided?

Warren Hawke would be a good cost saving.

At least Crawford is fulfilling one of his late Father's promises...Part Time Football!

We will be the same as Airdrie soon.

The Easdales are not buying the club. If they wanted it he would have jumped and sold it, no questions.

Shambles.

We are a sinking ship.

That would be under the presumption that with the knowledge of Dougie's imminent passing the new shareholders wouldn't have all discussed their plans for one of their biggest businesses when the time came that they would be taking over.

I very much refuse to believe that it was all cloak and daggers behind Crawford's back and the moment Dougie passed they decided to pounce with this shock news.

I would be far more willing to believe that Crawford himself is one of the shareholders who holds the thoughts he described them having in the article, rather than he's been blindsided from his three year plan at the first hurdle and has to accept it.

Maybe, maybe not. I don’t think those are the only two possible scenarios. Who knows.

Thank fuck we invested in super turnstiles. When will they be making money for us?

At least they will allow fast entry for the 700 die hards who will turn up next season.

How long before youth teams are scrapped as a cost saving?

Back down trainign at public parks on a Tuesday and Thursday night.

Depressing times.

No one can be looking possitively for the future of Morton.

I don't think that's necessarily untrue, but at the same time there were question marks at the time about how robust the plan was (which, admittedly, I didn't particular give much credence to) and how long-term it really was.

As I've said before, it's seemed to me for a while that the idea was to make a bit of an effort in the summer, get the ticket money in and hope things went well enough to see it through to this summer, and try to offload the club in a decent position: effectively the equivalent of slapping some new wallpaper and emulsion on your living rooms wall before you put your house on the market. If anybody fancies offering a credible explanation as to how selling a plan that was never going to be kept, or that relied on the existence of an old guy at death's door, isn't dishonest, I'm all ears.

If there was a serious, robust plan in place, McKinnon and his team would have been given two year deals as would the likes of Tidser and Millar. The proof is in the pudding.

We did seemingly offer extension clauses in some contracts. McKinnon's was a one year rolling contract, which could be seen either way.

I obviously agree that it might have been a plan to sell the club. I do wonder, though, if it was a three year plan to sell the club which ground to a halt very quickly when he realised he couldn't sell that plan (or idea of a plan) to GC. Crawford might have thought that this was the best deal all round, but couldn't convince others of that. Maybe it wasn't just the fans he was trying to sell the three year plan to. After all, a Premier League club would be a much easier sell.

I don't know what's going on or what went on but I've been worried for a while. It's very clear that change is needed.

Part Time is a reality now.

Can we maintain the cost of cappielow and its upkeep. Did we not spend a significant amount getting a safety certificate for the stand over the summer with there likely to be more work required.

We are Airdrie in waiting. Will soon be signing the likes of a Sean Crighton at the back.

Archived