Who Is Next? - Page 33 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Who Is Next?

Malt

We need to announce it this week.

We are potentially losing one target, McIntyre, to St Mirren which leaves the Mighty Lee McCulloch and Ray McKinnon for consideration.

'We are potentially losing someone who might not even have been a target, McIntyre, to St Mirren who might not even be interested in him which leaves 2 others who might not even be targets the mighty Lee McCulloch and Ray McKinnon for consideration if we were even considering them in the first place.'

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Callum Carson (West Lothian courier journalist) on twitter;

“It's beginning to sound like Hopkin to Morton is a very strong possibility. Would surely be a 'heart over head' move if so. Can't see turning down games against Rangers and Celtic for Alloa and Ayr being a footballing decision. Still to formally talk to Livi board as I understand”

I wasn't too sure at first, but the more I've thought about it I don't really think it'd be "heart over head" at all. If his (theoretical) appointment were to be announced packaged up as part of a serious statement of intent from the club and Hopkin himself states that he's coming here to build a team to win the league within x years, then I'd say that's a far bigger sign of ambition and belief than getting absolutely horsed in the Premier League every week would be. There's nothing he  can gain with Livingston, barring them having the most extraordinary season in Scottish history and two/three monumental collapses, they're going to finish bottom and by a distance.

Hopkin knowsMortoninside out, he knows what's went wrong, he knows the potential that's there (even if it is extremely latent these days) and he knows the people in charge, so if the club can convince him that they've a serious plan to gain promotion in the short-term, then only the kind of media ghouls that think Duffy was hard done by will see it as a lack of ambition.

AWMSC

I wasn't too sure at first, but the more I've thought about it I don't really think it'd be "heart over head" at all. If his (theoretical) appointment were to be announced packaged up as part of a serious statement of intent from the club and Hopkin himself states that he's coming here to build a team to win the league within x years, then I'd say that's a far bigger sign of ambition and belief than getting absolutely horsed in the Premier League every week would be. There's nothing he  can gain with Livingston, barring them having the most extraordinary season in Scottish history and two/three monumental collapses, they're going to finish bottom and by a distance.

Hopkin knowsMortoninside out, he knows what's went wrong, he knows the potential that's there (even if it is extremely latent these days) and he knows the people in charge, so if the club can convince him that they've a serious plan to gain promotion in the short-term, then only the kind of media ghouls that think Duffy was hard done by will see it as a lack of ambition.

There's also the fact that he is a shareholder in the club (assuming that is the case).  It strikes me as odd that he is allowed by the SFA to have shares in Morton - would have thought that the SFA would have some rule prohibiting that as it could be regarded as a conflict of interest), but it suggests he is a Morton man through and through.  I can see how he would be interested in taking the club he supports back to the top division.  Needs to be sorted quickly though if we are not to lose our entire squad - many of them might go elsewhere if they have doubts about being kept on.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

A Livi director claims that no club has approached them with a request to talk to Hopkin. Mind you, that didn't help St. Mirren any. In any event, Hopkin is out of contract in the summer, so what's to stop any other club talking to him?

Guest mcintyre_gmfc93

Be interested to see if he does for us

I heard a while back that he's in tight with the Easdales.

Apparently 4th biggest shareholder in the club also.

Archived