The Big 2018-19 Squad Thread - Page 22 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Big 2018-19 Squad Thread

TRVMP

That's a blow, but if a player gets an offer from elsewhere and isn't willing to wait on us appointing a manager to see if we match it or make one at all then it can't be helped.

I was happy with making an exception for a youngster like Iredale, but the club can't hamstring the new manager by offering contracts to every out of contract player, particularly a 33 year old, regardless of how good they are.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently was told on Monday he wasn’t getting an offer from us. Baws.

If someone has explicitly told him he's not getting an offer then that's outrageous as it's a decision for the new manager to make, but rumours like that fly around all the time.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Disappointed Harkins is off to QoS on two fronts. Firstly, despite initial reservations I thought he was by some way our most consistent and effective player this season and secondly, where does this leave us if QoS are a more attractive proposition (assuming we offered him another year).

Whoever the new manager is he will have a serious rebuilding exercise on his hands. Thankfully we have solid foundations in the two Bobs for another year!

We need to get started building our squad.  Big blow losing Harkins but if he's not staying on, what does that say about the rest of them?  We are currently rudderless and urgent action needs to be taken or we'll end up with the dregs.  Which is pretty much what we currently have under contract for next season, Tidser and Iredale excepted.  Need to get Murdoch on a new deal, plus Lamie if he wants to stay.

Harkins was great for us - I'd like to know why he isn't staying on.  Hopefully he will revert to his Ayr United form next season, pile on the pounds and implode.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

If someone has explicitly told him he's not getting an offer then that's outrageous as it's a decision for the new manager to make, but rumours like that fly around all the time.

Yes, usually in the absence of any real knowledge. I don't believe for a moment that he was told he wasn't getting a contract, more probably that it will be for the new manager to decide.

If then Queens came in with a good offer you can't blame him for accepting and then relaxing over the summer with a done deal.

Yes, usually in the absence of any real knowledge. I don't believe for a moment that he was told he wasn't getting a contract, more probably that it will be for the new manager to decide.

If then Queens came in with a good offer you can't blame him for accepting and then relaxing over the summer with a done deal.

I believe it. 

I've heard that Hawke is dealing with contracts at the moment. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Clubs player of the season not getting a new contract. Kind of sums it up that there was no reward for success last season where Duffy was dropping our best performers regularly for fuck all. It will be a job just keeping Morton up at the minute.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

I believe it.

I've heard that Hawke is dealing with contracts at the moment.

My guess would be they've offered good young players like Iredale deals so we get a fee if they move on and older players like Harkins have been told there's no offer until a new manager is in.

If this is the case I can't really blame Harkins if he has an offer on the table and can't really blame the club much either.

QOS. Where old pros go to die. Maybe he knew after another summer break, another year older he would lose another yard and did the honourable thing. Forbes to join him.

Being serious, he proved most of us wrong, had a good season and was rightfully our player of the year. I would have kept him if possible but I certainly wouldn't have been finalising a Harkins deal before a new manager is in place as, I assume, he was one of the highest earners therefore that budget should not be allocated ahead of the appointment.

With Tidser under contract, maybe getting a manager who will play wingers as opposed to putting central midfielders out wide, and the need for another more industrious midfielder, Harkins might not have been the best use of the budget.

With Queens coming in for him, if he wasn't willing to wait a couple of weeks until the end of the contract then fair enough. Thanks for this season and good luck (but not too much, reverting to your Ayr form would be lovely).

On a positive note, hopefully that sees an end to the kick off that involved passing to Harkins to boot the ball out of play that we did every game and after every goal we conceded which became utterly infuriating.

I would have kept him and maybe have had him help SUtton out with the Development Squad.

Concerns me We are letting players go and signing others when there is no gaffer in place.

Archived