Colt Teams Proposal - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Colt Teams Proposal

FAO the Morton board:

Place this shan idea into the sea without even the slightest hesitation or there will be significant blowback:

http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/spfl-consults-with-clubs-on-colt-teams/

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I'm sick of this nonsense. It was trialed in the Challenge Cup, it was a failure. Fans of the ugly sisters didn't turn up to watch their youth teams ger horsed by the likes of Livingston, why would they? It will not assist development and the argument about it working in Spain & Germany dosen't even come close to being relevant for us. It will harm whichever league they're placed into, get it in the bin.

I'm fine with it if their maximum level is the East of Scotland/South of Scotland League.

Good time to bring up Kelly Hearts when you mention the sixth tier. Yesterday they announced that they'll be the first junior club to jump ship to the senior non league set up since the introduction of the pyramid, and we'll done to them.

I'm hoping that within the next few years ther'll be at least a steady trickle moving over if not mass migration, which should hopefully strengthen the fifth and sixth tiers.

The pyramid play off this season went to a penalty shoot out between a club desperate to stay in the league and one desperate to get into it. With so much competition for places in the SPFL, I fail to see how they can shoehorn say, 2-6 other teams into it. It's a rancid idea, and probably one of the few subjects that we'll all* agree on.

*There will be the odd attention seeking fanny like Ed looking for an argument, of course.

I would only agree to this stupid idea if our own development squad were also admitted.  It's a terrible idea and typical of the kow-towing to the OF clubs that has been endemic in Scottish football for decades.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Terrible idea. The Pyramid is the way to try to shake up the lower leagues, not this rubbish. Pyramid should be extended - automatic relegation from the bottom league then a play off.

Colts (what a shite name that needs to get in the sea along with the idea) add no value other than pandering to the Old Firm. You would also expect it to have a big negative effect on the loan market.

I see the proposal says they wouldn't rise above league 1. Even that is too high.

No, no, no. Nothing in this for anyone apart from the old scum.

I'm not sure that this is completely true. I think Hibs had a team in the EoS league for a season, so they have looked at that type of idea before. I'm guessing Hearts and Aberdeen might be interested as well. 

I'm not a fan of the idea. I think it belittles senior football, and I don't think that they're up to that level anyway. That being said, if the non-league clubs like the idea, then they're welcome to it (they can even take some of the bottom of League Two clubs with them if they want). 

I'd be interested to hear the Trust's stance on this, and, if it is in line with what I would expect most of the support's to be, whether and how they plan lobbying the club to ensure that our (the club and the fans') interests are looked after.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any sort of fan vote or engagement around this shambles?

I think the only way that people at the top will take our opinions seriously is if fans from all clubs boycott games against any Colt side.

Actually said on P&B a few minutes ago that I'm concerned about Morton's stance on this, given our working relationship with Celtic.

With them using Cappielow and us doing well out of loan deals from them I'd hope there's no influence from them about what way we vote, but I'm not too sure, especially as the colt teams are only likely to go as far as League One where we don't spend too much time these days.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not terribly confident.

It is a horrid idea. Why can't we have bigger leagues and a proper reserve league?

We don't need bigger leagues, though there may be something to reintroducing the reserve league.Substandard coaching and a lack of facilities, both indoor and outdoor, are holding our younger players back IMO. The financial situation in Scotland means if you're good enough, you'll likely get your opportunity to play. Perhaps not at the very top, but the loan system works well here. I genuinely don't see any reasoning behind Colt Teams that isn't "Well, Germany & Spain do it"

Should be bigger leagues with two up, two down and play off between 3rd bottom and 3rd top in a one off game or 3 down and 3,4,5 and 6 compete in play off. The league format is bollox and the people running our game are clueless reprobates.

Archived