Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Arbroath (26th August) - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Arbroath (26th August)

Admin

Arbroath weren't brilliant they just know how to play against us and beat us and we just seem to have no answer for it and it's really frustrating, Imrie must know how they play by now but he played right into their hands with the constant long balls. 

I felt we should have switched and put another body in midfield and actually tried to play a bit of football but it never happened, the subs made very little difference and other than MacDonald no one got pass marks. 

We can't keep playing a makeshift back 4 and expect to not concede goals get this nonsense of Blues and O'Connor playing at right back and get them in their natural position. 

One bad result doesn't make us a bad team but it was the manner of it yesterday which is really sore. We must sign a right back and if we are going to persist with the long ball tactics a quick forward who can give us something else up top, we badly badly missed Oakley. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday was in the same vein as when they beat us 2-1 near the start of the year. 

Thistle getting a big result yesterday doesn't bode well for next week. My only hope is that yesterday's result is this season's "5-0 loss to Partick" that Dougie wouldn't let go.

1 hour ago, Toby said:

Can’t stress enough how much shite posts like this get right on my tits.

Yup. Probably one of the clowns giving it over the top abuse in the shed yesterday 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

14 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Yup. Probably one of the clowns giving it over the top abuse in the shed yesterday 

Strikes me more as someone who had their comps/tea and biscuits in that wee room stopped now that MCT are running a professional operation rather than a fucking shit show, and is looking to discredit them now he’s in a huff.

That sort are just as bad as, if not worse, and more dangerous than someone venting their spleen because we’re losing on any given Saturday.

Good job that MCT have been generally quite good at swatting these folk away when need be, and putting them firmly in their box.

15 minutes ago, Toby said:

Strikes me more as someone who had their comps/tea and biscuits in that wee room stopped now that MCT are running a professional operation rather than a fucking shit show, and is looking to discredit them now he’s in a huff.

That sort are just as bad as, if not worse, and more dangerous than someone venting their spleen because we’re losing on any given Saturday.

Good job that MCT have been generally quite good at swatting these folk away when need be, and putting them firmly in their box.

A wee bit harsh with the first point I think. It's not 9 Strathblane Crescent (good riddance it seems) we're dealing with here. 

There needs to be a cultural shift with fan ownership and that takes time to bed in. While watching and dealing with the club was hard work under the old regime, being a supporter on matchday was actually pretty easy in terms of responsibility. It was either good or shite - and if it was shite, then it was automatically Somebody Else's Job at the club to sort it out, usually by spending more money on players or bagging the manager. This culture of 20 years entirely suited (and was promoted by) the board because it suited Douglas Rae's desired identity as a benefactor with the patience of a saint. 

The problem is that this culture does not transfer to a fan owned organisation. There was someone in the crowd yesterday screaming for The Board to "speculate to accumulate" in signing players. There's nothing to speculate with other than the existence of the club itself. It's going to take a long time for everyone to adapt to that reality - but perhaps reflecting on the nick of the club a couple of years ago more often would be instructive. The memory of that circling the drain period is too short for our own good. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

23 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

A wee bit harsh with the first point I think. It's not 9 Strathblane Crescent (good riddance it seems) we're dealing with here. 

There needs to be a cultural shift with fan ownership and that takes time to bed in. While watching and dealing with the club was hard work under the old regime, being a supporter on matchday was actually pretty easy in terms of responsibility. It was either good or shite - and if it was shite, then it was automatically Somebody Else's Job at the club to sort it out, usually by spending more money on players or bagging the manager. This culture of 20 years entirely suited (and was promoted by) the board because it suited Douglas Rae's desired identity as a benefactor with the patience of a saint. 

The problem is that this culture does not transfer to a fan owned organisation. There was someone in the crowd yesterday screaming for The Board to "speculate to accumulate" in signing players. There's nothing to speculate with other than the existence of the club itself. It's going to take a long time for everyone to adapt to that reality - but perhaps reflecting on the nick of the club a couple of years ago more often would be instructive. The memory of that circling the drain period is too short for our own good. 

As you know, I’m only ever going to endorse any criticisms you have of 9SBC, but my criticisms of those who have had their wings clipped aren’t exclusive to him/her.

You’ll have noticed there’s a former local councillor who doesn’t appear to be frequenting the directors’ box this weather for some reason, and I suspect he’s another example of someone who’s had too high an opinion of his own importance and has needed a telling. The post-Renfrewshire derby Twitter exchange with the club certainly suggested toys going out the pram in that instance.

So yes, there will be others such as your man Brian here, who also may have their nose out of joint having been denied privileges they once expected as their God-given right back in the day.

The main body of your post however, I agree completely with.

13 hours ago, Brian Skelton said:

It is whether the board will release the funds to Imrie for those signings.

34 minutes ago, Brian Skelton said:

What I meant was if there is any money left in the pot to get anyone else in.

The second post completely contradicts the first. You’re making two completely different assertions and passing them off as the same.

The team were atrocious, no doubt about it. Blaming individuals seems a pointless exercise as all 10 outfield players that started would have negative comments next to their name. Seems like Blues was getting it pretty bad and while he could have moved around looking for the ball more I’m not sure that would have mattered too much as the game plan very early on looked like long balls that bypassed our midfield to be eaten up by the Arbroath back line. In truth, nobody looked up for it from the start. It was frustrating that everyone could see it wasn’t working yet very little was done to try and change it.

1 hour ago, Toby said:

You’ll have noticed there’s a former local councillor who doesn’t appear to be frequenting the directors’ box this weather for some reason, and I suspect he’s another example of someone who’s had too high an opinion of his own importance and has needed a telling. The post-Renfrewshire derby Twitter exchange with the club certainly suggested toys going out the pram in that instance.

I noticed the Alba ad at the Sinclair St entrance has also been replaced.

Has his case came to court yet?

11 hours ago, Toby said:

As you know, I’m only ever going to endorse any criticisms you have of 9SBC, but my criticisms of those who have had their wings clipped aren’t exclusive to him/her.

So yes, there will be others such as your man Brian here, who also may have their nose out of joint having been denied privileges they once expected as their God-given right back in the day.

They'll be dancing in the directors box 😂

Absolute nuisance!

TIME FOR CHANGE!

22 hours ago, Toby said:

What was the twitter exchange about? I missed this.

I have to admit I don’t understand what our players were trying to do on Saturday. Did Dougie instruct them to play long diagonals up to the tiny Steven Boyd against a giant defender? Or was this simply forced on us by Arbroath’s game plan of choking our midfield? Jack Baird continued with this “tactic” up until at least the 80th minute, despite some very loud fans shouting at him to pass it through midfield. Broadfoot was doing the opposite by trying to build the play but constantly gave it to Waters when he had an Arbroath player right on top of him. McGrattan definitely made a difference as he tried to either pass the ball forward or dribble his way through their defence. This also freed up Power for the first time in the match due to Arbroath having to put one or two players on McGrattan. I also thought Jack Bearne was at least attempting to be creative with his corners and free kicks, until inexplicably Boyd started “bullying” him out of taking them, even on the right when Boyd was the left winger. If Bearne was 5/10 then Boyd was 1/10. I thought our only pass marks were McDonald, Waters, Bearne and McGrattan. My over riding take from the game though, was that we need to sign whatever player(s) we can that will make it easy to stop giving Broadfoot any game time.

This game's history and no amount of chest-beating, self-flagellation or hand-wringing's going to undo the result - so let's move on now.

Partick on Saturday. Let's hope that it's an omen - the 5-1 trousering against this mob turned everything around last season.  My dearest hope is that we can dig deep enough to not only right that wrong, but also to accept the kick-in-the-balls reality of last week - and make that debacle a similar opportunity to kick ourselves up the arse and show the world what we're made of.

Mon the Ton.

9 hours ago, Toby said:

The thread’s here. Dealt with very professionally by, presumably Gareth.

https://x.com/morton_fc/status/1677788447262625793?s=46&t=mPi-CBP2m1lKxRNMQCkJuA

Lol. What an absolute fanny of a guy McEleny is. Well dealt with by the club. Good to see big Shaun getting him telt as well. 

Archived