Match Preview/Thread - Kelty Hearts vs Morton (15th July) - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Kelty Hearts vs Morton (15th July)

Admin

1 hour ago, Toby said:

I couldn’t help but think that if Kelty had made it into the league 20 years ago, we’d have been travelling to a soulless bus shelter like East Fife or Dumbarton today- instead, we had a pleasant afternoon on a nice, modern open terrace with an excellent vantage point and a bit of freedom to move around.

First time visiting Kelty and agree it was a very pleasant experience. Bit of a throwback being able to wander around all sides of the ground and no segregation. Facilities were good and social ground on site. The other positive was the stewarding was sensible rather than over the top even allowing for the young team getting a little enthusiastic when we scored.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

First half was very poor. Second half much better. Bringing on Jai and mcgrattan made a massive difference. The Kelty left back just couldn't deal with Jai and his presence gave mcgrattan more space on the left.

Thought big darragh put in a tremendous shift again despite being played out of position and managed 2 assists. Also pleased for Boyd who got his goal and looks like his energy will be an asset.  Bearne looked very tidy on the ball and was always looking to drive forward. 

Still not quite convinced with Mullen in goal yet but willing to give him time. At the very least we need a first choice right back and a midfielder who can challenge Crawford, Gillespie and Blues for a start.

Was also pleasing to see tidser get a good reception as he went off. Much deserved imo.

I didn't see yesterday's game but I've saw every other game and I don't really agree on your assessment of Mullen so far. By all accounts he pulled off another good save yesterday to keep us in the game. 

He had a couple of shaky moments against Alloa but since then he's been fine, in fact Including myself I know of few fans who gave him  MOTM vs St Mirren as he was commanding of his area, made some good saves and his distribution was good. The fact that he can kick the ball 20 yards further than Schwake is going to be massive this season especially with the way we play. 

It's still a very small sample size but it's very promising signs so far for me and I feel like we could have a gem on our hands. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

A really good win and a much improved second half performance. We were off it in the first half and punished with a good goal by them. Second half we made some changes and started to make things happen. Good for the likes of Boyd and Broadfoot to get their first goal for the club a few things of note from yesterday. 

1. Broadfoot was comfortable and composed at centre half much more than at right back. 

2. Right back is the main priority. 

3. I was impressed with Boyd another player who I haven't really heard of but put in a real shift and definitely fits the Imrie mould of players.

4. Still feel like we could do with another body in midfield we seem quite one dimensional with no real other option to change it. 

1 hour ago, port-ton said:

I didn't see yesterday's game but I've saw every other game and I don't really agree on your assessment of Mullen so far. By all accounts he pulled off another good save yesterday to keep us in the game. 

He had a couple of shaky moments against Alloa but since then he's been fine, in fact Including myself I know of few fans who gave him  MOTM vs St Mirren as he was commanding of his area, made some good saves and his distribution was good. The fact that he can kick the ball 20 yards further than Schwake is going to be massive this season especially with the way we play. 

It's still a very small sample size but it's very promising signs so far for me and I feel like we could have a gem on our hands. 

His kicking is better than Schwakes and he uses both feet which is a positive. I've seen him at alloa, St. Mirren and yesterday and at the moment feel shwake was a better keeper overall and he has a few mistakes in him. Hope I'm wrong though

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

First half was a bit of a slog and we deserved to be behind, with Lyon and Tidser dictating the game and us really struggling to shut them down. Thought Blues had a really good game for the 90 but the first half totally passed Gillespie and Crawford by. In possession we were very reliant on the switch from O'Connor or Baird out to Boyd, which rarely worked because despite the passes generally being very good, Boyd's first touch was Kabba Modou-Cham levels of several yards ahead of him almost every time he tried to trap those.

Completely different game as soon as we made the subs. Muirhead through the middle gave us a focal point and O'Ware couldn't handle him where Oakley hadn't been in the game, Boyd looked a different player playing centrally and Corbett couldn't cope with Quitongo at all. The first two goals came through Quitongo opening a gap and O'Connor exploiting it - didn't see him being that type of overlapping full back but here we are - with Boyd holding his run superbly for the first. Once we were 2-1 up we looked very comfortable.

I totally understand why Imrie wants both Muirhead and Oakley in the team but while Muirhead is a better player than any of our wingers, he's not a better winger than any of them. If you're accommodating them both he should be through the middle behind Oakley, otherwise you need to drop one of them.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

12 hours ago, HamCam said:

First time visiting Kelty and agree it was a very pleasant experience. Bit of a throwback being able to wander around all sides of the ground and no segregation. Facilities were good and social ground on site. The other positive was the stewarding was sensible rather than over the top even allowing for the young team getting a little enthusiastic when we scored.

I thought it was odd to see the pie hut selling bottled water and letting you take the bottle. Stewards at Cappielow would huckle anyone carrying a bottle.

9 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Sorry, but the fact he left us for fucking Falkirk still leaves a bitter taste and excludes him from the legend status he would otherwise have earned.

This. Of the four ex-players in the Kelty team (technically five if you include McGurn), the only one I had any time for yesterday was Stefan McCluskey.

The chant "Tam O'Ware - it's never your fault" was very apt and brought memories of him yelling at team-mates.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

I was really impressed with Mullen's distribution. There was one in particular in the first half where he came out of the box and clipped a pass straight to someone's feet well inside Kelty's half, rather than just floating it vaguely in their direction for an aerial contest as goalkeepers do 99.9% of the time.

7 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

This. Of the four ex-players in the Kelty team (technically five if you include McGurn), the only one I had any time for yesterday was Stefan McCluskey.

The chant "Tam O'Ware - it's never your fault" was very apt and brought memories of him yelling at team-mates.

McCluskey was another Carlo Monti situation. He turned down a contract from us saying he believed he could do better than Morton and ended up at Peterhead. Unlike O'Ware he at least had the decency to wait until the season was over, but he has an equally ridiculously inflated idea of his own ability. Stefan McCluskey thinking he's too good for Morton: he can get fucked.

Lyon and McGurn moved on when managers didn't want them and they didn't have a future at Morton, the other three are all snakes.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

1 minute ago, dunning1874 said:

McCluskey was another Carlo Monti situation. He turned down a contract from us saying he believed he could do better than Morton and ended up at Peterhead. Unlike O'Ware he at least had the decency to wait until the season was over, but he has an equally ridiculously inflated idea of his own ability. Stefan McCluskey thinking he's too good for Morton: he can get fucked.

Lyon and McGurn moved on when managers didn't want them and they didn't have a future at Morton, the other three are all snakes.

Genuinely wasn't aware of the circumstances behind McCluskey's departure - maybe because he was "less profile" than O'Ware's or Tidser's (especially given where both ended up). I guess scoring at Ibrox can go to one's head a bit.

Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

4 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

I was always, and remain to this day a big fan of Stefan McCluskey- I’ve never agreed with this sort of summation of his departure from Morton.

We were (quite rightly) never made aware of the terms he was offered, nor the length of the contract iirc. Nor were we privy to what sort of role he was expected to be playing, and it’s quite possible that he could have been told he would’ve been a bit-part player going forward. There were far more factors at play than him believing he was too good for Morton. That may well have been the case, but very few folk have ever considered the other variables.

Whilst Tidser and O’Ware would have been first picks, I don’t think this is necessarily the case with McCluskey.

Even Tidser‘s departure is hard to criticise dispassionately, although I will because he went to Them, but only O’Ware, for openly admitting he’d chucked it before his contract had even expired was completely unprofessional in his conduct towards Morton.

11 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Sorry, but the fact he left us for fucking Falkirk still leaves a bitter taste and excludes him from the legend status he would otherwise have earned.

Nah. I don't agree with that. 

53 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

There's nothing to disagree with..... he went to fucking Falkirk, thereby instantly disqualifying himself for legend status consideration. End of discussion, accept you're wrong, move on, and we'll never mention this ever again.

52 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

I’ve mellowed my stance towards Tidser in recent years I’d say- he was out of contract and entitled to go wherever he wanted, and that a few of us absolutely despise Falkirk should, and did, have no influence on his decision.

His choice, but with that he lost any goodwill from me. I don’t resent him in the way I do O’Ware or Bachirou for their behaviour towards Morton, and didn’t give him any grief yesterday, but he made his bed, he can lie in it.

I strongly doubt he had no other suitors- had he gone elsewhere, he’d have gone with my best wishes in the same way I’m thankful for the contributions of guys like Lamie, Cadden, Lindsay and Grimshaw who have moved onto bigger clubs and/or better things (caveat included for Grimshaw going to a high paying basket case) or for guys who have dropped down the food chain such as Forbes.

Whilst O’Ware was rightly ridiculed yesterday, Tidser deserved ignorance. He’s not “one of our own”, he gave up the prospect of being welcomed back as a returning hero any time in the future in making that move and was told by folk inside the club at the time that would be the case. No abuse, but no dewy-eyed sentiment either is the correct attitude towards him.

1 hour ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

There's nothing to disagree with..... he went to fucking Falkirk, thereby instantly disqualifying himself for legend status consideration. End of discussion, accept you're wrong, move on, and we'll never mention this ever again.

Won't be accepting anything.  He's one of the most talented players to have played for the club since the likes of janne, mcinnes played in midfield for us.

7 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Won't be accepting anything.  He's one of the most talented players to have played for the club since the likes of janne, mcinnes played in midfield for us.

When did the debate move onto Ross Forbes?

44 minutes ago, Toby said:

When did the debate move onto Ross Forbes?

🤣🤣🤣.

That's a fair point.

5 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

His parroting of Owen Coyle's shite from last season that 'Morton are a physical team and are good at what they do' surely removes any lingering doubt. 

Goals are on twitter.

1 hour ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

His parroting of Owen Coyle's shite from last season that 'Morton are a physical team and are good at what they do' surely removes any lingering doubt. 

Still no. 

Archived