Championship 23/24 - Page 7 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Championship 23/24

42 minutes ago, Alibi said:

It’s the luck of the draw. At least it’s not Ross County away every season like we had in cup draws a few years ago.

It’s not “the luck of the draw” though.

The fixture list is manipulated every single season in order that it falls the way the SPFL want it.

Is it any coincidence that the Old Firm game is always rotated with Rangers at home first one season and Celtic at home first the following season? And after the split it’s designed at all costs to give the team who played at home once the fourth derby when other fixtures don’t get the same treatment?

Is it any coincidence that Queen’s Park have only one home game before 12th September- against Arbroath, who are likely to bring less than anyone else in the league with the possible exception of Inverness?

I don’t believe we’ve been deliberately done over by the SPFL here, that would be absurd. But they’ve at best been extremely careless in how they’ve handled our fixtures, and we’re not getting anywhere near an equal spread of fixtures at vital times across multiple seasons now.

I suspect vikingTON’s motivation is that Inverness away on a Friday night at the end of the season is a tremendous day/night out, which I don’t dispute, but it shouldn’t be the main consideration when fans are forced into taking annual leave, or worse, not allowed to by their employers, and the team continually have to travel to the back of beyond for what is potentially the pivotal match of their season, year after year.

It's a pain in the arse for those who want to go but can't change shifts or get the day off.

We'll be getting handed the trophy that night so it'll be live on TV anyway.

• Upvote 1

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

22 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

It's a pain in the arse for those who want to go but can't change shifts or get the day off.

They’ll already have pencilled in Dundee United v Partick for TV coverage that night.

Another case of the SPFL manipulating the fixture list, this time in order to give themselves a scenario they’ll hope is like last season’s final day.

Pity* Partick have been decimated and won’t be anywhere near the title.

*Not a pity at all.

With every team having two home games in front of the cameras, I’d imagine most games are already mapped out.

2 hours ago, Toby said:

The fixture list is manipulated every single season in order that it falls the way the SPFL want it.

Is it any coincidence that the Old Firm game is always rotated with Rangers at home first one season and Celtic at home first the following season? And after the split it’s designed at all costs to give the team who played at home once the fourth derby when other fixtures don’t get the same treatment?

Is it any coincidence that Queen’s Park have only one home game before 12th September- against Arbroath, who are likely to bring less than anyone else in the league with the possible exception of Inverness?

I don’t believe we’ve been deliberately done over by the SPFL here, that would be absurd. But they’ve at best been extremely careless in how they’ve handled our fixtures, and we’re not getting anywhere near an equal spread of fixtures at vital times across multiple seasons now.

Based on your sample size of *4 games*, this is a completely over the top assertion. 

1 hour ago, AyrshireTon said:

There are also people who work shifts and can't get every Saturday off but can get a Friday off instead. There are lots of people who won't be able to make Raith away which is scheduled on a Tuesday evening. We don't run the fixture calendar past every single person's convenience. 

If GMFC wants to make an argument based on the inconvenience of the fanbase as a whole then it should have actually canvassed those fans' views collectively instead of flapping its trap to the Tele based on no credible evidence. It makes us look like a tinpot outfit concocting a ludicrous sense of injustice. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

Based on your sample size of *4 games*, this is a completely over the top assertion. 

There are also people who work shifts and can't get every Saturday off but can get a Friday off instead. There are lots of people who won't be able to make Raith away which is scheduled on a Tuesday evening. We don't run the fixture calendar past every single person's convenience. 

If GMFC wants to make an argument based on the inconvenience of the fanbase as a whole then it should have actually canvassed those fans' views collectively instead of flapping its trap to the Tele based on no credible evidence. It makes us look like a tinpot outfit concocting a ludicrous sense of injustice. 

Based on a sample size of the same matchday on four consecutive seasons, which, even in your world, could be described as multiple seasons. Yet still you continue to flog this dead horse because “I’m alright, Jack”.

Your point about others having to work Saturdays is clutching as tightly at straws as I’ve ever seen from anyone. As someone who worked weekends for about 25 years and had to constantly swap shifts, I’m well aware of those pitfalls, but 3pm on a Saturday is generally accepted as the time that football is scheduled in this country. And as I said to you elsewhere last night, Kirkcaldy is accessible from Greenock on a Tuesday night, even if not via your preferred mode of transport.

Like it or not, these guys have been elected to represent us, and have decided to make their point based on the scope of opinion they’ve seen. That yours hasn’t been taken on board really is a terrible wee shame. Perhaps you should be a bit more vocal about your opinions for a wee change?

3 hours ago, Toby said:

I suspect vikingTON’s motivation is that Inverness away on a Friday night at the end of the season is a tremendous day/night out, which I don’t dispute, but it shouldn’t be the main consideration when fans are forced into taking annual leave, or worse, not allowed to by their employers, and the team continually have to travel to the back of beyond for what is potentially the pivotal match of their season, year after year.

I don't really pay much attention to the top division and the fixtures after the split, but I had always assumed that at the split, each team has played every other team three times (either 2 home/1 away or 2 away/1 home), and the remaining fixtures would be based on the teams in each half of the table playing fixtures that meant that they all finished the season having played two home games and two away games against all the sides that finished in the same half of the table as them.  I think that is correct because when the post split bit begins, there won't be any pair of teams that have played the same number of home & away games against each other, so the logic of who plays where in the final 5 fixtures is predetermined.  Has there ever been a season when any team has played 3 home games and 1 away game against an opponent?  Or has that been happening for decades and I've just never noticed?

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

2 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I don't really pay much attention to the top division and the fixtures after the split, but I had always assumed that at the split, each team has played every other team three times (either 2 home/1 away or 2 away/1 home), and the remaining fixtures would be based on the teams in each half of the table playing fixtures that meant that they all finished the season having played two home games and two away games against all the sides that finished in the same half of the table as them.  I think that is correct because when the post split bit begins, there won't be any pair of teams that have played the same number of home & away games against each other, so the logic of who plays where in the final 5 fixtures is predetermined.  Has there ever been a season when any team has played 3 home games and 1 away game against an opponent?  Or has that been happening for decades and I've just never noticed?

It happens regularly. Off the top of my head, Aberdeen visited Celtic Park three times last season and only hosted Celtic once.

5 minutes ago, Toby said:

It happens regularly. Off the top of my head, Aberdeen visited Celtic Park three times last season and only hosted Celtic once.

I'll need to think this one through logically.  If you start with 12 teams and set up a  full 44 game season (4 games against the other 11 teams), then eliminate the fixtures in the 4th quarter that don't happen because of the split (i.e. any fixture  in the final part of a "full" season that would be between a top 6 and bottom 6 club) you should be left with a logical post-split fixture list where everyone plays fixtures that mean they end up having played 2 home games and 2 away games against the other teams in their half of the table.  Obviously there's an asymmetry about the first 33 games, but it should resolve itself once the final 5 fixtures have been fulfilled, and no team should be playing 3 away league fixtures over the course of the season - obviously the fixtures that are not eliminated post-split will even up the home/away balance for the teams in both upper and lower groups as they are predetermined.  Any other arrangement is a fiddle and should be called out.  I had never realised that they were doing anything other than following logic.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

2 hours ago, vikingTON said:

I get what you're saying, but the difference is that Saturday and Tuesday are days when you'd generally expect games to be played (although sometime in the 80s or 90s Tuesday seemed to replace Wednesday as the midweek day). Friday is only a fairly recent addition to the fixtures and it's almost always for TV (I know that our second away game against the new club was only played on a Friday because there were other games in Glasgow that weekend).

If there had been any joined-up thinking then we wouldn't have been given four final day away games on the trot, but then again, this is the SPFL we are talking about.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

3 hours ago, Toby said:

Based on a sample size of the same matchday on four consecutive seasons, which, even in your world, could be described as multiple seasons. Yet still you continue to flog this dead horse because “I’m alright, Jack”.

It cannot even remotely be described as not getting an even spread of vital games across multiple seasons. For your Celtic-esque demand for fairness to be resolved, we would have still played two away games out of those four. 

The idea that GMFC are being harmed in a sporting sense by having played 2 more away games on matchday 36 of the season rather than 35 is ludicrous. As opposed to the 142 other games that were played which don't fit into this complaint at all. 

Edited by vikingTON

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

3 hours ago, Toby said:

Your point about others having to work Saturdays is clutching as tightly at straws as I’ve ever seen from anyone. As someone who worked weekends for about 25 years and had to constantly swap shifts, I’m well aware of those pitfalls, but 3pm on a Saturday is generally accepted as the time that football is scheduled in this country. And as I said to you elsewhere last night, Kirkcaldy is accessible from Greenock on a Tuesday night, even if not via your preferred mode of transport.

1) Friday evening football has also been part of the game at this level for years. It is also generally accepted - which is why no other clubs are joining Morton in this utterly pathetic gum-bumping exercise.

2) Inverness is also accessible on a Friday night and will almost certainly attract a larger away crowd then than Kirkcaldy did on a Friday last season or indeed will manage again this season. Perhaps it's midweek games arranged on school nights that are fit for the bin instead. 

3 hours ago, Toby said:

Like it or not, these guys have been elected to represent us, and have decided to make their point based on the scope of opinion they’ve seen. That yours hasn’t been taken on board really is a terrible wee shame. Perhaps you should be a bit more vocal about your opinions for a wee change?

1) GMFC board members are not elected to represent the fanbase: that's the job of MCT which is a different organisation.

2) If the board want to invoke the preferences of the fanbase to criticise the schedule then they should use the exact same method of consultation about a change to kick-off times on a Saturday, or the Conference League proposal. 

If it had done so, then it wouldn't have had to resort to producing such fact-free drivel to the Tele, that makes the club look like a tinpot outfit. 

10 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

It cannot even remotely be described as not getting an even spread of vital games across multiple seasons. For your Celtic-esque demand for fairness to be resolved, we would have still played two away games out of those four. 

The idea that GMFC are being harmed in a sporting sense by having played 2 more away games on matchday 36 of the season rather  than 35 is ludicrous. As opposed to the 142 other games that were played which don't fit into this complaint at all. 

Two away games out of four would be absolutely fine with me. I wouldn’t object to three and one, these things happen and you can’t please everyone. My issue is with four considerable journeys on the final day of consecutive seasons, which is far more of an anomaly than our fixtures not landing symmetrically.

6 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

1) Friday evening football has also been part of the game at this level for years. It is also generally accepted - which is why no other clubs are joining Morton in this utterly pathetic gum-bumping exercise.

2) Inverness is also accessible on a Friday night and will almost certainly attract a larger away crowd than than Kirkcaldy did on a Friday last season or indeed will manage again this season. Perhaps it's midweek games arranged on school nights that are fit for the bin instead. 

1) Friday night fixtures are occasional. Last season you may note (you probably won’t as it doesn’t suit your agenda) that Partick complained about how regularly they were sent up to Inverness on a Friday night on the occasion they actually wanted their game moved so it didn’t coincide with Scotland v Cyprus at Hampden, and the BBC’s TV pick eventually gave them their wish.

2) Inverness is not accessible from Greenock for people finishing work at 5pm on a Friday, but you know that anyway.

8 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

1) GMFC board members are not elected to represent the fanbase: that's the job of MCT which is a different organisation.

2) If the board want to invoke the preferences of the fanbase to criticise the schedule then they should use the exact same method of consultation about a change to kick-off times on a Saturday, or the Conference League proposal. 

If it had done so, then it wouldn't have had to resort to producing such fact-free drivel to the Tele, that makes the club look like a tinpot outfit. 

1) Shite, jobby, shite.

2) No they shouldn’t. They’re elected to make decisions on the club’s behalf and do that. For such a massive issue as the Conference League, it’s only right that the fans are consulted to form the club’s policy, but in more minor instances such as this, there’s no issue with them making their own decision and acting on it- except for you, of course. 

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Chesh said:

Didn't to put this is in the squad thread but I seen on socials last night & today that a player called Brandon Daiu has shown up at cappielow this weekend asking for Dougie for a trial.

A 30 year old journeyman centre back who was with Flint Town in the Welsh league last season. Don't call us we'll call you*

* we won't call

6ft 6" German according to Google. Sure we will find a Scottish club silly enough to take him on just on the basis of that alone. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

2 hours ago, Toby said:

Two away games out of four would be absolutely fine with me. I wouldn’t object to three and one, these things happen and you can’t please everyone. My issue is with four considerable journeys on the final day of consecutive seasons, which is far more of an anomaly than our fixtures not landing symmetrically.

In what way is it an anomaly?

It is in fact statistically likely that if ten clubs were randomly allocated their final game home/away, then one of those clubs would get four in a row away from home. It is only an 'anomaly' if you don't understand how a statistical set works - or are trying to fabricate an utterly cringeworthy and groundless grievance.

Friday night fixtures are now more common each season than Tuesday or any other non-Saturday fixture. That's the way it is and has been for several years. Your citing of Partick Thistle Family Club as a noble fighter against that cause only undermines your point further. 

2 hours ago, Toby said:

2) Inverness is not accessible from Greenock for people finishing work at 5pm on a Friday, but you know that anyway.

1) Shite, jobby, shite.

2) No they shouldn’t. They’re elected to make decisions on the club’s behalf and do that. For such a massive issue as the Conference League, it’s only right that the fans are consulted to form the club’s policy, but in more minor instances such as this, there’s no issue with them making their own decision and acting on it- except for you, of course. 

The vast majority of people do not finish work in Greenock at 5pm to attend games though, because it's not the 1957 any more. 

Two minutes ago you were claiming that they were elected to represent the fans rather than be detached decision-makers - I'll regard that as a climbdown. 

If GMFC presented its own organisational objection (or indeed Dougie's objection from a first team view) of the schedule then they'd be fully justified in responding to the Tele. By doing so on behalf of the fans, the club should have actually consulted the fanbase as a whole. As the club has in fact already consulted the fanbase on potential changes to the fixture schedule, it is no way more or less relevant an issue. 

More importantly, a genuine consultation would have provided GMFC with some factual evidence to support its arguments, instead of just vaguely gesturing at the loudest handful of voices on social media. Which would have avoided such a pitiful excuse of a statement which will achieve absolutely nothing other than minor ridicule.

26 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

The vast majority of people do not finish work in Greenock at 5pm to attend games though, because it's not the 1957 any more. 

Two minutes ago you were claiming that they were elected to represent the fans rather than be detached decision-makers - I'll regard that as a climbdown. 

If GMFC presented its own organisational objection (or indeed Dougie's objection from a first team view) of the schedule then they'd be fully justified in responding to the Tele. By doing so on behalf of the fans, the club should have actually consulted the fanbase as a whole. As the club has in fact already consulted the fanbase on potential changes to the fixture schedule, it is no way more or less relevant an issue. 

More importantly, a genuine consultation would have provided GMFC with some factual evidence to support its arguments, instead of just vaguely gesturing at the loudest handful of voices on social media. Which would have avoided such a pitiful excuse of a statement which will achieve absolutely nothing other than minor ridicule.

The statement just mentioned that it was a lot to ask of the fans - it didn't imply that the club had consulted with fans or received feedback from them or anything like that.  It goes without saying that you are entitled to disagree with Toby & with the views expressed by the club, but I do think you are overreacting a little bit.