Match Preview/Thread - Ayr United vs Morton (8th April) - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Ayr United vs Morton (8th April)

Admin

It was a second booking but it looked like a straight red challenge to me. 

Boys done well after going down to 10 and we even had a couple of sniffs at goal but ultimately not good enough again. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Played better with ten men than with eleven today. Don't think that we played too badly even before the red card but weren't doing enough to win the game. 

Today's result is not what has cost us our hopes of promotion: that was the two fucking catastrophic home defeats to Ayr and Inverness. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

3 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Played better with ten men than with eleven today. Don't think that we played too badly even before the red card but weren't doing enough to win the game. 

Today's result is not what has cost us our hopes of promotion: that was the two fucking catastrophic home defeats to Ayr and Inverness. 

It's no coincidence that the team that we had with ten men was basically the team that the fans have been crying out for for weeks (obviously missing a person). 

We are going to be forced to play with one striker on Tuesday now. Hopefully with Jai and Mcgrattan on the wings. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Anyone seen this story before? Threaten to have a good season before deciding not to win a single game in the final quarter. 

Mind 'push for the playoffs'? Have we won since then?

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

The only positive is that we are in no fear of relegation. Looking forward to Imrie's "that was the goal". It was clear for a long time we were not going to be troubled by relegation thanks to the bottom 3 being rank for the most part - apart from against us! 

The honeymoon is sadly over for Dougie, and his consistent knocking back against criticism will come back to bite him, he has made a few decisions in recent weeks that have been bizarre. He has to take it on the chin and learn from this, we have let it slip in quite familiar fashion.

1 minute ago, ChampTon said:

The only positive is that we are in no fear of relegation. 

Utter nonsense, yet again. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

It's a shame that today's result has all but ended our season from a competitive point of view as ICT have more chance of catching Ayr than us given the current form of both teams.

We need to now make sure we don't allow Raith Rovers to catch us as the prize money for us will be pivotal on how next season looks.

A few wins before the end of the season wouldn't go a miss either.

Im making perfect sense, your just not keeping up.

My Twitter - 
https://twitter.com/RJChesh

I've noticed the rhetoric from Imrie lately has changed more to the " we'd have bitten your hand off to be here at this stage and expectations are too high" and expect it will only further go thay way in the coming weeks. 

While he's right that at the beginning of the season we'd have been delighted with this season, we've proven that in terms of quality we are a match for anyone in this league, the were in a great position and blew it and we strengthened with quality additions on paper in January so no one at the club including the fans should accept that we should be pleased because of where we thought we would be at the beginning of the season. Our squad is littered with experienced pros throughout now as well that you'd put up against most teams in the division. 

Ultimately for me what cost us is changing what made us a bastard to play against to shoehorn our winter signings in to the starting line up, and the only person responsible for that is Imrie. He's still done a fantastic job but he should be looking closer to home rather than move the goalposts for expectations like every other dud of a manager has done at this club for decades. 

32.gif

Six without a win, having also gone six without a win prior to the three wins in a row which preceded the current run. 3 wins in 15 is brutal form.

Even in the extremely unlikely event we were to end the season strongly with say 3 wins and a draw in the last 5 and that was just enough to take us above Ayr, Inverness' fixture list could easily see them do the same. The season is over.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

12 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

16 points ahead of second bottom, 9 from the top of the league. I'd say, we are much safer from relegation. 

That's clearly not the only positive at this football club (or even just the first team) though champ. 

The first half was played like a final day of the season with everyone’s contracts up at 5pm.

Bit more urgency in the second half and we did actually play better after Oakley’s second yellow.

Cant see us making the play off with this form, though.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

29 minutes ago, port-ton said:

I've noticed the rhetoric from Imrie lately has changed more to the " we'd have bitten your hand off to be here at this stage and expectations are too high" and expect it will only further go thay way in the coming weeks. 

While he's right that at the beginning of the season we'd have been delighted with this season, we've proven that in terms of quality we are a match for anyone in this league, the were in a great position and blew it and we strengthened with quality additions on paper in January so no one at the club including the fans should accept that we should be pleased because of where we thought we would be at the beginning of the season. Our squad is littered with experienced pros throughout now as well that you'd put up against most teams in the division. 

Ultimately for me what cost us is changing what made us a bastard to play against to shoehorn our winter signings in to the starting line up, and the only person responsible for that is Imrie. He's still done a fantastic job but he should be looking closer to home rather than move the goalposts for expectations like every other dud of a manager has done at this club for decades. 

Spot on.

Will cut him some slack for the state of the budget in July but from mid Aug, he's had plenty of cash to play with. Unfortunately for him his good record of signing players has took a massive dent. Ally Roy, Ali Crawford, Calvin Miller have been disasters.

This squad should be doing much much better than 3 wins in 15 league games and that's down to Dougie.

39 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

That's clearly not the only positive at this football club (or even just the first team) though champ. 

Absolutely the club has came on strides this season but considering where we were placed we've fallen short since the end of January.

8 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

Absolutely the club has came on strides this season but considering where we were placed we've fallen short since the end of January.

We have, but that's nowhere near the same as stating the only positive is that we're safe from relegation. Even from today's disappointing result, O'Connor had a very good game in open play (will need to check the air crash investigation for our set piece defending though) and should develop further next season with us. Tieing him down early is a good piece of business for next season. Grimshaw was outstanding again and has been conveniently taken for granted as people go on about the manager's signings. Gillespie and Quitongo - two other signings that raised alarm bells before the season started - made further good contributions. 

It's not great to be comparing all our fizzling out, 5-7th placed finishes at this level, but I've seen a lot of them by now and most had serious causes for concern that were simply not present today. 

My issue is not the expectation levels at the club that now lead to a sense of disappointment, but rather the unrealistic demands being made of a manager who has still got a lot to learn in that role. He's already justified as long as he needs to develop his skills and learn lessons from his decisions. 

Imrie's interview is much the same as last week. He blames results on individual errors at both ends of the pitch and promises a review (players not the management team at fault). Not much evidence of it this week so interesting to see what changes are made on Tuesday. While we arguably over-performed in the first half of the season with our investment in January we should have been able to kick-on rather than, once again, allow the season to feel like a missed opportunity. The default should be promotion not survival.

10 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

My issue is not the expectation levels at the club that now lead to a sense of disappointment, but rather the unrealistic demands being made of a manager who has still got a lot to learn in that role. He's already justified as long as he needs to develop his skills and learn lessons from his decisions. 

Absolutely, no manager is ever going to be infallible - never mind one 18 months into his first job - and he's our best manager in almost 40 years. Even if we limp into 7th without winning another game from here that remains the case.

Acknowleding that he has more than earned the opportunity to develop and learn from his mistakes doesn't preclude talking about those mistakes though. Away from the overreactions with nonsensical conspiracy theories that he's only signing/picking players because they're his mates, there is a valid discussion to be had about whether he does have a blind spot for some players' weaknesses and too little patience with others.

If that's the case and he doesn't show signs of learning from that then it brings with it wider questions about man-management. It's just today we've found out that he's decided not to offer the best left back in the division a new contract because he's apparently not in his plans, even though the chances of recruiting a replacement who isn't a downgrade are slim to none.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

33 minutes ago, HamCam said:

Imrie's interview is much the same as last week. He blames results on individual errors at both ends of the pitch and promises a review (players not the management team at fault). Not much evidence of it this week so interesting to see what changes are made on Tuesday. While we arguably over-performed in the first half of the season with our investment in January we should have been able to kick-on rather than, once again, allow the season to feel like a missed opportunity. The default should be promotion not survival.

I think he may be speaking about Quitongo again? He should have thrown himself  at one of the balls that Muirhead put in the box but didn't. If Imrie is speaking about him again you begin to wonder if he'll be here next season. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

49 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

If that's the case and he doesn't show signs of learning from that then it brings with it wider questions about man-management. It's just today we've found out that he's decided not to offer the best left back in the division a new contract because he's apparently not in his plans, even though the chances of recruiting a replacement who isn't a downgrade are slim to none.

I don't think that Strapp is "the best left back in the division", and if an actual football club like, say, Dundee agreed with your view then they could have paid the relatively minimal compensation to sign him last summer. They chose not to do so.

The only player in this squad who is a standout performer in his role is Grimshaw. While we added depth in January - and no doubt hoped that Crawford  would be a similar Grimshaw-level baller at this level - the rest of our starting eleven is decent but ultimately replacement- level, Championship standard right now. Who would Ayr for example be swooping for from our squad to start for them in today's match? 

There seems to be a delusion that 'because Dalrada' we'd suddenly have an excellent squad if only we had signed the right players in January. The reality is that we're performing right now at the exact level you'd expect for the quality of the squad. We're no longer overperforming but I'd take one A/B mark and one flat C grade for this campaign. 

39 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

I think he may be speaking about Quitongo again? He should have thrown himself  at one of the balls that Muirhead put in the box but didn't. If Imrie is speaking about him again you begin to wonder if he'll be here next season. 

We don't have any player who throws himself at balls in the box. From his previous time at the club, I think most fans knew Quitongo was never going to be that player. Despite my reservations, Quitongo has however something to offer but we have to be realistic and appreciate he will never be a serious goalscorer. 

Archived