Match Preview/Thread - Hibs vs Morton (20th July) - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Hibs vs Morton (20th July)

Admin

4 minutes ago, DumfriesTon said:

Yep agreed. Tiresome from Imrie continuously moaning. 

He's wanting 1 or 2 more in the door. That is incredibly worrying and if it's just that then I'd be worried we will be cut adrift by Christmas. We need at least 4/5 more in I'd say. 

He first trotted out the '1 or 2 more but its up to the board line back in his 30th May interview, almost verbatim.

We have signed 4 since.

Getting tedious now Douglas.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've been alright so far, just no cutting edge. Having a traffic cone up front doesn't help. 

Strapp and King been decent on the left. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Easdale is actually quite talented at being as far away from the ball than he should be at any given moment. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

16 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

He first trotted out the '1 or 2 more but its up to the board line back in his 30th May interview, almost verbatim.

We have signed 4 since.

Getting tedious now Douglas.

To be fair, it's similar at a lot of clubs. The manager identifies targets and its up to the board to sign them. 

Its the time of year where players who have been holding out for better offers or considering options will need to decide so the onus is on them now to fill in the gaps. 

24 minutes ago, so72 said:

Dougie's attitude was so refreshing but now its becoming tiresome. Again, unless he is saying the Board outright lied to him then its nothing new and he needs to make the most of it.

I agree, and even if he was rug-pulled by the board, it's hardly unique in football. He is entitled to be angry about it but eventually you just have to get on with it.

EOho8Pw.png

All I'm seeing here is Lewis Strapp with some 20 gubbins footballers on the park.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

3 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

I agree, and even if he was rug-pulled by the board, it's hardly unique in football. He is entitled to be angry about it but eventually you just have to get on with it.

I agree with that, but at the same time I wouldn't say Mid July would be the time to just get on with it. Managers everywhere publicly put pressure on their boards by trying to get more players, it's probably the most successful way get what you want. Dougie's problem is we are fan owned so it's a different dynamic with some fans, but rest assured if the raes were still in charge and we went in to a season with this squad then a far larger number of fans would be on dougie's side. 

Maybe he needs to play the game a bit better given the ownership structure of the club, but any manager worth his salt would be trying every option possible to try and get additions to this squad. 

32.gif

No goals so far for us this season. Add that to the end of last season and we must be over 500 competitive minutes without a goal. I feel for anyone who has been to all those games. 

Someone score for us soon, please. 

Astonished it’s still no score. Maybe we have a defence at least.

If we end up nicking this 1-0 with an Easdale goal, the Hibs manager will be required to resign.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

1 minute ago, port-ton said:

I agree with that, but at the same time I wouldn't say Mid July would be the time to just get on with it. Managers everywhere publicly put pressure on their boards by trying to get more players, it's probably the most successful way get what you want. Dougie's problem is we are fan owned so it's a different dynamic with some fans, but rest assured if the raes were still in charge and we went in to a season with this squad then a far larger number of fans would be on dougie's side. 

Maybe he needs to play the game a bit better given the ownership structure of the club, but any manager worth his salt would be trying every option possible to try and get additions to this squad. 

You can flip this the other way: if Gus MacPherson was still in charge and making the same complaints, far fewer fans would be on the manager's side.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

If I was a manager having to try to deal with a squad in large part comprised of wee guys, I'd be making it clear it's not enough too so I'm not really bothered by Imrie doing so. For all he's not helped himself, this is a honking state of affairs and the manager answering questions is the least of it. 

This cup is a load of shite anyway, whilst obviously you want to go as far as possible it's also the case that the groups aren't really any indicator of anything for anybody in the grand scheme given how early it is and everybody could really do without them. Most teams have big turn-overs of players every year and will have big gaps in their squads, and managers build towards having their players in peak condition for the start of the league season. I'd rather have a couple of friendlies away to Buckie Thistle and some northern English shitehole or wherever than this charade of kidding on these group games are competitive on the level of the league and the Scottish Cup. Challenge Cup games are more interesting tbh.

AWMSC

4 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

You can flip this the other way: if Gus MacPherson was still in charge and making the same complaints, far fewer fans would be on the manager's side.

I mean you could flip almost every situation both ways in this style but I don't really see the similarity. Imrie proved how competitive he can make us with an average squad so fans were optimistic to see what he could do with a better one so he's given more of the benefit of the doubt than MacPherson who failed at almost every turn. 

That's different in my opinion to fans demanding owners spend more money compared to fans understanding the limitations of fan ownership. 

32.gif

3 minutes ago, port-ton said:

I mean you could flip almost every situation both ways in this style but I don't really see the similarity. Imrie proved how competitive he can make us with an average squad so fans were optimistic to see what he could do with a better one so he's given more of the benefit of the doubt than MacPherson who failed at almost every turn. 

That's different in my opinion to fans demanding owners spend more money compared to fans understanding the limitations of fan ownership. 

The owners in question veered wildly between profligacy and thrift depending on the phase of the moon. The current owners have been very clear that that's not longer an option and that we'll be eating lean for the foreseeable future.

EOho8Pw.png

King has the potential to be comfortably the best youth product in the past decade for us. The fact he does a job at his age wherever he's asked to play is incredible. 

I just hope he finds a set position in the squad at some point and gets to master it. 

32.gif

2 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

The owners in question veered wildly between profligacy and thrift depending on the phase of the moon. The current owners have been very clear that that's not longer an option and that we'll be eating lean for the foreseeable future.

I know, I didn't say this wasn't the case. All I said was Imrie seems to be playing the game that most managers would under a normal ownership model  to try and get fans on his side to pressure them in to improving a poor squad, and that it won't work with us being fan owned. 

32.gif

Archived