Day out at Queens v Ton - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Day out at Queens v Ton

Ton4life

It’s not the Raes’ fault that we lost to some bumpkins today though: it’s the manager’s. He has had the opportunity to build both a bigger and frankly better squad than the rabble lined up against us today. Yet because we still don’t have a firm idea of how to both attack and defend - despite being in the middle of September - we contrived to lose insipidly rather than taking anything at all from the game.

It is their fault that they are quite happy languish in the championship or league one and until we get rid of them if people are quite happy with that fair play. I for one won't be happy until they are gone they have ruined Our club.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is their fault that they are quite happy languish in the championship or league one and until we get rid of them if people are quite happy with that fair play. I for one won't be happy until they are gone they have ruined Our club.

This subject has been done to death on here. I think most people are in agreement that the Raes' time was up a long time ago. However, even with the budget cuts, there's been enough in the kitty to get some decent players in, most notably Aiden Nesbitt. And while we've definitely lost out on signings to other teams at our level, it's not accurate to say that the budget cuts have meant that Hoppy couldn't build his own squad. The club has backed him, modestly, to build a Championship team, and he's built one that absolutely can't defend. That's the fault of the management team, not the board.

And remember, Hopkin knew the state of play when he came in. The budget cuts were announced long before he took the job. It's not like he had the rug pulled from under him. Instead he took the job with a reputation for achieving good results without megabucks. On the evidence so far, he's not able to do it at Cappielow. Time will tell if he can turn it around, but the fact of the matter is, he signed this squad, not the Raes, and it's incumbent on him to get a tune out of them.

Haven't seen any of the game today but as I've said before, I don't think we're a million miles away from a mid-table/top-half Championship squad. The problem is that the weak areas are very weak, and other teams know that. Just a few too many absolutely weak links in an otherwise-decent setup.

EOho8Pw.png

What’s any of that got to do with losing to a shower of bumpkins today? You claimed that it was down to budget cuts; I fail to see how Queen of the South operate with a larger budget than ourselves. So why is it not the manager’s fault when he has been given a larger budget to build a stronger squad on paper but has still failed to work out a proper starting eleven by September 14 and so loses a clearly winnable match against a dung bumpkin outfit? Be specific please.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Fun fact: Lee Kilday strolled that game today, in stark contrast to the several Morton defenders and midfielders who didn’t bother to close down and block the daisy-cutter shot that ultimately won the game.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

That's grim. I thought the manner we lost the Motherwell game was alarming, but I wasn't too concerned as I assumed Hopkin, with the reputation (and stylistic (is that a word) reputation in particular) he had from Livvi would have the problems resolved fairly quickly, especially with so much of the window left...but bloody hell, it's got worse.

I think his reputation still means that we need to try and have a bit of faith that he can find answers, but the evidence so far is that he doesn't even know where to start looking. The squad he's built in particular is a total joke, I really don't believe for a minute that there wasn't better options than MacLean available, whilst paying a fee for Henk van Schaik and effectively signing Blues twice should, quite frankly, count as nails in any managers coffin. There's no excuses for that from a club pleading poverty.

People focusing too much on the positives of his reputation, not the part where he took Livi down before getting the winning mentality and performances for back to back promotions.

People focusing too much on the positives of his reputation, not the part where he took Livi down before getting the winning mentality and performances for back to beack promotions.

Not an invalid point, and I don't disagree. Far too much stock has been put in what he done at Livvi, but at the same time I was happy enough to accept the idea that he was supposed to know what he was doing. It remains to be seen if that's the case.

AWMSC

Well that was grim.

Queens were dross and Dobbie looks finished but still managed three decent efforts on our goal. I thought Baird and Welsh were an upgrade.

Sadly McCrorie has got his form back after our goalie coach tried to ruin him.

Miller is done as well. Need Cadden to focus on what he is good at and not impersonating Oliver by going to ground too easily.

Thought Beatie got a few wrong and the nearside linesman was wearing a Queens shirt under the specksaver one.

Overall should have managed a draw, hell save us against Dundee 1&2.

Had not heard but assumed Nesbit is injured.

He would probably get punted before that to be honest. He’s been fucking grim so far.

I don’t think that we’re seriously heading towards a relegation struggle - this month however must act a serious wake up call though to stop blaming inexperience, find our strongest eleven and start earning good results. By the same token, I don’t accept that merely avoiding relegation while getting papped out of every cup this season is an acceptable start to this supposed three year project either. This is where throwing the cup game last week comes back to bite them on the arse. Johansson finished top half last season and was still a total fucking failure; when the current management team actually could do with a distraction for the fanbase from a turgid, 36 game league slog it turns out that they’ve just thrown it away.

Unlike the last sixteen managers though, Hopkin seems to have the approval of the most financially significant external sponsors to the club, who can then therefore greatly influence the usual hounding mechanism. If this ends up in tears then it’s going to be a far more protracted struggle than previous managers and who knows how much damage will be caused to the club in the meantime. People should’ve been far more careful about what they wished for IMO, but here we are.

Fun fact: Lee Kilday strolled that game today, in stark contrast to the several Morton defenders and midfielders who didn’t bother to close down and block the daisy-cutter shot that ultimately won the game.

Because they are Shite happy to help.

Here was me thinking that Kilday was a brutal player who we couldn’t wait to get shot of (Morton fans, May 2019).

It's been tough viewing so far this season. If Johansen was still in charge he'd be getting hounded and rightly so. Hopkin on the other hand deserves more time due the his track record. There are some signs of improvement but he needs to stop fucking about with the team like he did today.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

What a dreadful result. I at least expected us to score, losing Nesbitt obviously had a pretty big impact on our attack which was probably to be expected. I don’t even know what we do about this defence at this point. If he had a settled team that just needed games together and coaching then fine, but he doesn't - we’re miles off even that.

Next two weeks could be fun.

Playing players in their natural position has to be a start tbh. Defensively we have missed out on targets this season and it has clearly shown as we’re a mess in that respect. Hoping there is some free agent out there that can come in and rescue us!

Central defenders look like a massive upgrade. Why on earth Mclean was brought on when we had started to put Queens under pressure is a mystery - we stalled after that.

Millar is done, sadly. Still need a RB. We should have kept McCrorie, or failing that, Gaston. Very soft goal to lose.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Archived