Fans Q&A - Page 7 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Fans Q&A

Just home from the Q and A. Pretty grim hearing about the cuts and the sustainable model. Crawford did say that if a buyer came in GC wouldn't be looking for the 2m owed to be paid back. As was already known tidser has left for a much more substantial deal at falkirk. Hawke alluded to a personal issue being the reason he wasn't in the team in January.

Hawke also said that if we didn't start making cuts we wouldn't be celebrating the 100 year anniversary of the SC win. Must be pretty bleak.

I did appreciate Crawford's honesty in saying that Dougie overspent over the last 20 years and that he made a few mistakes allowing his heart to rule his head. Overall nothing major was disclosed but Anderson, Rae and Hawke certainly seem to have Morton's best interests at heart.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the best ones was about the lack of security at the game vs Falkirk. Stock answer was that we have state of the art CCTV and that'll catch em. Completely ignoring the fact that the matter - in this instance potential violence - has already taken place. No mention of stewards doing their job to actually stop it.

They even suggested that Morton came out of it looking good.

Someome then suggested not allowing fans to use first two or 3 rows of the WDE to which the panel said they'd take it back to the head of security like it was ground breaking stuff. A guy who IMO should have been there.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Where is that money being spent? How can we be in such financial peril every season? I’d really like to see it broken down.

The thought of us having an even weaker playing squad next season, with JJ still in charge is so, so grim and I’m really struggling to imagine getting a season ticket/shelling out £20 to watch us attempt to stay in a division which fucking Livingston & St Mirren have gotten promoted out of.

Did anyone ask about the Easdales interest?

A gent in the audience said he jad a coffee with sandy this morning and that hes very much interested (seriously) Asked if theres a stumbling block in the way, ie. Golden casket to which crawford said youre asking the wrong person.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

We’re doomed next season and for the future with this new structure. Was it not the 8-8-8 model that Moore had in his final season that saw us relegated? How the fuck can they expect season ticket sales on the back of that?

By bringing through exciting youth was the answer. Anderson asked someone if that excited them. Lads response was spot on: its not the core 1500 or so that need convinced as generally they'll be there, its the fair weather fans that need convincing to come.

Flip side of that is, that core of 1500 might start to fade.

They were asked about apathy which was quickly deflected to 'we'll try to get better. Huv yi got any suggestions"

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Main things to take from that are:

1. Dougie paid more than he could afford and didn't really budget meaning losses for 20 years.

2. His GC shares were split between lots of people so it's not up to one person if the club can use them for loans meaning it can't happen any more.

3. The club needs to break even to make it appealing to investors.

4. If the club were to change hands they wouldn't pass the debt from GC or be looking for it making it back. It wouldn't be a barrier to selling the club and is essentially written off. This bit got a round of applause.

5. GC won't look for the money because it's not there and worth pursuing.

So to me it's basically a call for investment or a new owner. It's not good to hear but its either a case of spend money they don't have (where would it come from in the first place?) or only spend what they can afford.

Main things to take from that are:

1. Dougie paid more than he could afford and didn't really budget meaning losses for 20 years.

2. His GC shares were split between lots of people so it's not up to one person if the club can use them for loans meaning it can't happen any more.

3. The club needs to break even to make it appealing to investors.

4. If the club were to change hands they wouldn't pass the debt from GC or be looking for it making it back. It wouldn't be a barrier to selling the club and is essentially written off. This bit got a round of applause.

5. GC won't look for the money because it's not there and worth pursuing.

So to me it's basically a call for investment or a new owner. It's not good to hear but its either a case of spend money they don't have (where would it come from in the first place?) or only spend what they can afford.

Reality biting by the sounds of things. 

Fan ownership mentioned gets banded about on here occasionally, was that mentioned at all? 

What Carew can do with a ball, I can do with an orange

It already has.

It quite clearly hasn't though.

http://www.fitbastats.com/morton/club_records_league_attendance.php

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Reality biting by the sounds of things. 

Fan ownership mentioned gets banded about on here occasionally, was that mentioned at all? 

it wasn't mentioned and there's little point in looking into it either. We don't have the numbers required to make that sort of thing work and the support is far too fractured IMO. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

it wasn't mentioned and there's little point in looking into it either. We don't have the numbers required to make that sort of thing work and the support is far too fractured IMO. 

Yeah I agree, but it does get thrown around in here whenever the question of ownership comes up and I don't think the realisation is there about how difficult that would actually be...

What Carew can do with a ball, I can do with an orange

Rather than talking about outright ownership and running the thing - an unworkable idea all round - there's no reason why a fans' umbrella group couldn't pool resources to invest in the club in return for a stake of the shareholding. Investment is what the club is looking for but it doesn't always have to come from a private source.

GMST however has been conspicuous by its inaction while Douglas Rae was racking up the £2 million worth of IOUs and diluted its former stake in the club to practically nothing. Rightly or not, it has earned a reputation as a group that couldn't be trusted to run a piss-up in a brewery, so a new organisation would be needed IMO to regain the support of a broad section of the fanbase. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Rather than talking about outright ownership and running the thing - an unworkable idea all round - there's no reason why a fans' umbrella group couldn't pool resources to invest in the club in return for a stake of the shareholding. Investment is what the club is looking for but it doesn't always have to come from a private source.

GMST however has been conspicuous by its inaction while Douglas Rae was racking up the £2 million worth of IOUs and diluted its former stake in the club to practically nothing. Rightly or not, it has earned a reputation as a group that couldn't be trusted to run a piss-up in a brewery, so a new organisation would be needed IMO to regain the support of a broad section of the fanbase. 

Great idea - you should've went along last night to propose such a motion. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Do those stats include season ticket holders who aren't actually there? I know of a good few people who aren't at Cappielow when there's a game on yet have a season ticket. Attendances will be be at an all time low next season when hardly anyone goes out and gets a season ticket to support this utter mess of a club. 

Great idea - you should've went along last night to propose such a motion. 

Last time I checked it was a Q and A session with the club, rather than an attempt to form a fans' organisation. Swing and a miss then. 

Last time I checked it was a Q and A session with the club, rather than an attempt to form a fans' organisation. Swing and a miss then. 

It was a chance for folk to ask questions, suggest things and build general discussion. 

The panel welcomed any suggestions. 

Shame you're so anal about things and chose not to attend on the basis that the club website wasn't updated. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

What in the name of **** have Hawke and the Raes been up to to make such a colossal mess of everything? I get that times are tough and all that, but bloody hell...the scale of incompetence is astonishing.

Its been 20 years of one man controlling things and running up the debt. That's changed when he died and they are now in a position where they are going to budget and run at break even.

Archived