January Transfer Window Thread - Page 48 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

January Transfer Window Thread

BishopBrennan

Dallas seems like he is highly regarded at Rangers so hopefully does well for us. Think the bigger issue is creating chances for him though. No point in having a promising young striker if we create the square root of **** all like we do now.

Will McCrorie see much game time? Wonder if he can still play with Rangers reserves? Doesnt mention anything about development loan so perhaps not!

Fingers crossed either the Kiltie deal somehow goes through, or if not, he has a good plan B up his sleeve!

As for the Jean stuff, if you don't like her tweets, unfollow or block her ffs!

McCrorrie is definitely worth giving a chance. Hope Todorov is still on the menu so that Dallas/McHugh can play off him.

Interesting that JJ doesn't like his defence yet doesn't mention strengthening it at all.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McCrorrie is definitely worth giving a chance. Hope Todorov is still on the menu so that Dallas/McHugh can play off him.

Interesting that JJ doesn't like his defence yet doesn't mention strengthening it at all.

Admittedly I don't know anything about Dallas, but on the face of it the three signings aren't really going to be the silver bullet. None of them address the defensive issues and none resolve the lack of width so we're not really much further forward...either metaphorically or in terms of playing style. 

The only positive is that Dallas might feed off the scraps but unless Johansson radically changes his approach and learns some basics then neither of the three are going to turn things around.

AWMSC

We now have an option to set up with a midfield/forward line of;

Millar McAlister

Tidser Dykes Telfer

Dallas

Presumably giving us a bit more movement and pace which should generate more chances.

Tidser at right-wing!? Have you had a fall down the stairs or something?

I disagree. I think trying to shoehorn 5 central-midfielders into the team would be a terrible idea. We struggle enough with width as it is.

There aren't many other options to be fair. You could argue that a narrow midfield with a holding midfielder and attacking full backs would work better than the current 5 at the back. 

There aren't many other options to be fair. You could argue that a narrow midfield with a holding midfielder and attacking full backs would work better than the current 5 at the back. 

I agree. If it's set up properly I don't think it's a problem, if you have Millar and McAlister/Dykes sitting deep and have the two "wider" players alternating so they're coming inside sometimes and letting the full-back go past them then it'd allow us to get a load of bodies in dangerous areas and to press the game really high up.

Tidser, Millar and Telfer are all good at making moves into the box so I'd have no worries at all playing that way. Ideally we'd have a couple of wingers to shake it up, but it's an eminently workable system if you're a competent manager.

So it won't happen.

AWMSC

We definitely need some wingers. Have done for a few years actually. The past few seasons we've had 1 per squad and then shoehorned Forbes or Tidser onto the other side. Even Moore was guilty of it in 2012-13 when he fell out with Davie Graham. Very frustrating.

What I'd give for a 2011-era David O'Brien right now.

Interested to see when McCrorie gets a game, will JJ wait until Gaston makes a howler?

Yeah, JJ's comments gave him the big sell, not an air of 'provide cover/back up'.

All eyes on the goalkeeper position in both team's lineups on Saturday.

Yeah, JJ's comments gave him the big sell, not an air of 'provide cover/back up'.

All eyes on the goalkeeper position in both team's lineups on Saturday.

Hope it doesn't come back to bite me but would far rather see McCrorrie in our goal and Scully in theirs than the other way around!

Gaston was really commanding at the corners against Ross County. Set us up in attack just before the goal after a corner as well.

Gaston's lack of urgency vs East Fife was horrendous though. JJ and Houston both lost their heads with him more than once for not throwing it out

Gaston was really commanding at the corners against Ross County. Set us up in attack just before the goal after a corner as well.

I said that at the time, Gaston played well and was coming for corners a lot more. He needs to start doing it all the time though. I think if he’s dropped tomorrow it will say a lot about his future here, if someone on loan gets picked over him.

Archived