League Opener - Morton Vs Qots - Page 11 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

League Opener - Morton Vs Qots

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even before the ball comes back in for the first goal it's noticeable how slow our midfield are to push out after the ball is cleared, as I said further back in the thread our midfield is going to struggle with that late into games this season. The marking was poor in general but that was also worth noting. As for their second goal, McAlister really should be hauling Harkins to the ground there and taking the booking. IIRC he wasn't on a booked so that would have been the best way of breaking up the play and giving as a chance to defend the resulting set piece. Scully should also do much better with the area he's palming the ball into for the second goal. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Buchanan was a disaster zone - we were lucky not to concede 2 or 3 times due to his defending. Tumilty was poor at both goals. I don't think we were given anything too difficult to deal with at the back, which is worrying considering how many chances our defence sold. 

We were a bit fortunate with MacLean's goal as well - bit of a flap by Martin. 

Scully's double save is outrageous - probably the only better save I've seen at Cappielow was Dave McGurn at home to Dumbarton - but that's another mistake at the second goal. He can't push that right back out. Although by far the biggest culprit is McAlister letting Harkins get away from him in the first place.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Double save was class. 

What worries me is the amount of times they got free headers on goal or free space to get a shot away. A few more weeks into the season, when strikers have found their feet, we could have well been a few down. The defence looks shaky to me. Something that needs fixed ASAP, or we'll concede goals. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Scully's double save is outrageous - probably the only better save I've seen at Cappielow was Dave McGurn at home to Dumbarton - but that's another mistake at the second goal. He can't push that right back out. Although by far the biggest culprit is McAlister letting Harkins get away from him in the first place.

Very harsh to bring Scully into the blame for the 2nd IMO. The boy is in and Scully does very well to get to the first effort never mind getting it safe from the save. Even if he was to palm it out to his left, one of their players was there and he would have scored.

If we're holding Scully to such a high standard that he should be out the team for his save at their second goal then Gaston would have stopped playing for us about 3 years ago.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

The defence looks shaky but it's worth pointing out that they get no protection from midfielders tracking back - or pushing out to the ball - at the Scully double save, the sitter Fordyce misses at 1-0 and the equaliser. If you give teams a free pass to run at any back four at this level then they'e going to look rancid - the first job of the midfield is to not let that happen.

Tumilty's defending for the first goal is abysmal. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Couldn't get a steak pie today before kickoff, never mind 15 minutes in. Scotch pies were dripping with grease and practically impossible to pick up. Won't be buying again. Shame as I thought the pies from the previous provider were fine. Think there's been a price increase as well?

I got a steak pie about 10 mins in and then another just before halftime.....

Scully has done really well to even get down to that. I don't think people who have never played in goal understand how difficult it is to get down that quickly.

If the ball is being struck at pace, sure. But the forward takes a poor touch that gives Scully time to position himself well (after possibly being a bit slow off the mark) then doesn't make a clean connection with the strike. Scully correctly anticipates that the shot is going to his bottom left (4:01) so it's not a reflex save that he had to get down to; if the striker had chosen to lob him then there's not much he could have done about it because he was already going down. If he tips it to his other side - or just gets far more on the ball - then it should be cleared. Though Tumilty's complete lack of reaction to the loose ball is a bigger error.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

If the ball is being struck at pace, sure. But the forward takes a poor touch that gives Scully time to position himself well (after possibly being a bit slow off the mark) then doesn't make a clean connection with the strike. Scully correctly anticipates that the shot is going to his bottom left (4:01) so it's not a reflex save that he had to get down to; if the striker had chosen to lob him then there's not much he could have done about it because he was already going down. If he tips it to his other side - or just gets far more on the ball - then it should be cleared. Though Tumilty's complete lack of reaction to the loose ball is a bigger error.

I get that but you are asking a lot from a Championship goalie. He has done well to read the shot, well to get down and isnlet down by his defence.

The defence looks shaky but it's worth pointing out that they get no protection from midfielders tracking back - or pushing out to the ball - at the Scully double save, the sitter Fordyce misses at 1-0 and the equaliser. If you give teams a free pass to run at any back four at this level then they'e going to look rancid - the first job of the midfield is to not let that happen.

Tumilty's defending for the first goal is abysmal.

Absolutely correct.

For all Jim Duffy's failings he had our defence really well set up and organised which was why at lost goals we were more often than not bemoaning individual errors.

At the moment we lack shape and organisation at the back, perhaps due in part to players not yet familiar with each other. It should be sorted out immediately and if it isn't we will concede a lot of goals this season irrespective of whether Scully or Gaston plays.

Absolutely correct.

For all Jim Duffy's failings he had our defence really well set up and organised which was why at lost goals we were more often than not bemoaning individual errors.

At the moment we lack shape and organisation at the back, perhaps due in part to players not yet familiar with each other. It should be sorted out immediately and if it isn't we will concede a lot of goals this season irrespective of whether Scully or Gaston plays.

The reason our defence is suspect now is simply because we've replaced each defender we've lost with inferior ones. At least on the evidence I've seen.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Tumilty is better than Doyle and McKeown seems better than an off-form (for over 2 seasons) Mark Russell. 

Kilday we knew was crap, so i concede that, but the jury is out on both Buchanan and Waddell as to whether or not they're better than King Snake and Gorgeous Lamie. Let's hope they are. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Archived