Scottish Cup 4Th Round Draw - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Scottish Cup 4Th Round Draw

gmfc23

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A draw that's in keeping with the rest of this season, a dull non-event with little chance of success.

Think I've only been at 3 games so far this season, unheard of in my 30+ years as a supporter...

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

A draw that's in keeping with the rest of this season, a dull non-event with little chance of success.

Think I've only been at 3 games so far this season, unheard of in my 30+ years as a supporter...

3 too many.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

The problem with playing teams four times a season, end up playing some 5,6 and maybe more if in Play Offs. Boring.

Not always, to be fair. In this case it certainly is, though. It all depends on the circumstances.

If this were the semi final draw, and the other two teams were Premier League teams, we'd all be delighted at getting the draw with the best chance at getting to the final.

On the other hand, if we were in a 16 team league, and only played each team twice, would it make drawing Dunfermline away at this stage any less boring or any less of a pain? I'm not sure it would at all.

Even after recent disappointments I would still think a promotion play off place is much more likely than one associated with relegation.

1 win in 8 and the only team with worse form than us is Brechin. I’m beginning to be concerned.

1 win in 8 and the only team with worse form than us is Brechin. I’m beginning to be concerned.

Agreed. Whilst Brechin are gone already, Inverness have vastly improved, Falkirk have a full transfer window in which it’s not unreasonable to suggest they could “do a St. Mirren” from a less precarious position and since promotion, Dumbarton have never finished in the relegation play offs.

At the moment, 9th appears more likely than 4th.

Knicker-wetting pish all round. What you are witnessing is a squad and a club geared to utter midtable mediocrity, as our record over the first third of the campaign shows. 

Dumbarton have never finished in the relegation play offs.

Until they do, most likely this season, then that absolute non-achievement won't count for much.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Knicker-wetting pish all round. What you are witnessing is a squad and a club geared to utter midtable mediocrity, as our record over the first third of the campaign shows.

Until they do, most likely this season, then that absolute non-achievement won't count for much.

Nobody said they won’t finish ninth, but the point was about whether the promotion or relegation play offs are more likely. There’s a remote chance of either, but I’d suggest the promotion play offs are a far more distant possibility than the relegation ones, given our current form.

Nobody said they won’t finish ninth, but the point was about whether the promotion or relegation play offs are more likely. There’s a remote chance of either, but I’d suggest the promotion play offs are a far more distant possibility than the relegation ones, given our current form.

Dumbarton having 'never finished in a relegation play-off' doesn't affect the probability of Morton finishing 9th either way: it's a completely meaningless observation. If Inverness and Falkirk are both going to drastically improve as you have largely assumed then Dumbarton will be finishing 9th, because they will then be the second worst team in the league by a comfortable margin. 

This 'current form' claim is 80% cherry-picking which results you want to include (for the purposes of knicker-wetting) at the expense of others, and at most 20% due to short-term injury problems that led to a youth coach being fielded in our last league match weeks ago. Which isn't particularly relevant now or in the rest of the campaign.

The current league table suggests that we are more likely to finish in a promotion play-off than a relegation one; our league record shows the same over the course of a full season. So the fact-based analysis is in, and it concludes that the relegation playoff claim is knicker-wetting pish. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Dumbarton having 'never finished in a relegation play-off' doesn't affect the probability of Morton finishing 9th either way: it's a completely meaningless observation. If Inverness and Falkirk are both going to drastically improve as you have largely assumed then Dumbarton will be finishing 9th, because they will then be the second worst team in the league by a comfortable margin. 

This 'current form' claim is 80% cherry-picking which results you want to include (for the purposes of knicker-wetting) at the expense of others, and at most 20% due to short-term injury problems that led to a youth coach being fielded in our last league match weeks ago. Which isn't particularly relevant now or in the rest of the campaign.

The current league table suggests that we are more likely to finish in a promotion play-off than a relegation one; our league record shows the same over the course of a full season. So the fact-based analysis is in, and it concludes that the relegation playoff claim is knicker-wetting pish. 

Effortless  :lol:  :lol:

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Nobody’s knicker wetting about anything, champ.

I’ve said I don’t expect to finish in the play offs at either end of the table, but the evidence in front of my eyes from having watched us suggest we’d be more likely to finish 9th than 4th. And from the evidence of the two times I’ve seen Dumbarton this season, they weren’t comfortably poorer than their opponents on those two occasions.

Knicker wetting knee-jerk reactions isn’t typically my thing when things aren’t to my taste at Morton, as you well know. If anything I’d expect you to accuse me of the opposite and showing too much faith in the current squad and management team to turn out form round and push us up the table.

I’ve said I don’t expect to finish in the play offs at either end of the table, but the evidence in front of my eyes from having watched us suggest we’d be more likely to finish 9th than 4th. And from the evidence of the two times I’ve seen Dumbarton this season, they weren’t comfortably poorer than their opponents on those two occasions.

Knicker wetting knee-jerk reactions isn’t typically my thing when things aren’t to my taste at Morton, as you well know. If anything I’d expect you to accuse me of the opposite and showing too much faith in the current squad and management team to turn out form round and push us up the table.

Yes. ^^ Happy clapper found these days. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Three posters on this page are indeed wetting their frilly knickers and registering their 'concern' about relegation play-offs, which are not a serious prospect.

I’ve said I don’t expect to finish in the play offs at either end of the table, but the evidence in front of my eyes from having watched us suggest we’d be more likely to finish 9th than 4th.

We are closer to 4th than 9th - and will remain closer to 4th than 9th - even on the basis of the results and performances that you have witnessed. These are facts. 

And from the evidence of the two times I’ve seen Dumbarton this season, they weren’t comfortably poorer than their opponents on those two occasions.

Dumbarton were a comfortably poorer side in both their matches against Morton: they spent the home match hemmed in for large periods of the game and benefited from a catastrophic set of defensive errors to earn their point at Cappielow. Aitken himself admitted that they were second best and was glad to get the result. A conclusion that is also borne out by their results against everyone else in the division and their place in the league table as well. 

There is nothing to 'turn round' here though. An average squad is currently plodding around in mid-table and with a few short-term injuries now clearing up, repeats of the Queen of the South selection farce aren't likely to reoccur. The pressing issue in this campaign is not 4th or 9th - which has already been comprehensively dealt with above - it is whether an utterly mediocre campaign and - just as importantly - three probable cup exits at the first time of asking represents progress at the club or an acceptable record for the manager.  

Archived