30 Years Ago.... - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Is that taken from the stand side? Very sad. Remember watching us draw 1-1 there in 2002.

Main Stand would run down the right hand side.

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that taken from the stand side? Very sad. Remember watching us draw 1-1 there in 2002.

I think that was the one where Alex Williams and John Maisano were nearly fighting over who took a penalty - and Alex insisted on being allowed to take it and then missed the kick.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

The very same. Way more of us there than Shire fans, as you'd expect.

Yes, but good pakora in the food van.

Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

I was at that game, probably my only visit to Firs Park ever I think (might have been there in the Ritchie era once if we ever played them in those days but not sure).  I remember it was a bit depressing only getting a draw against them, although wewere at a low ebb then.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

• 2 months later...

9th August 1986 - Morton 3-0 Clyde

Morton opened the season at home to Clyde, hoping to return the top flight after a mixed season following the drop at the end of season 84-85. Others hoping to challenge were; Alex Totten's Dumbarton, Derek Whiteford's Airdrieonians, Derek Johnstone's Partick Thistle, Dave Clarke's East Fife and newly promoted Dunfermline, managed by Jim Leishman.

This was Allan McGraw's first full season in charge.

George Anderson limped off after a goalless first half, replaced by new signing from Brentford, Rowan Alexander. Alexander promptly scored an acrobatic effort to put us in front. Tommy Turner and Dougie Robertson got our other two.

Morton would not win another home Saturday match until the second half of the season, when Clyde made their second visit to Cappielow.

Team that day - 

1. David Wylie

2. Alex O'Hara

3. Jim Holmes

4. Jim Hunter

5. George Anderson

6. Martin Doak

7. Dougie Robertson

8. Ian Clinging

9. John McNeil

10. Tommy Turner

11. Jimmy Simpson

12. Joe Coyle

14. Rowan Alexander

George Anderson would not play again for Morton. Jimmy Simpson would play only three more games. Joe Coyle would warm the bench until November and leave.

To Morton's credit (and Rangers' credit) there was a testimonial shortly afterwards for him. 5,000 crowd so a decent sum.

That was the Rangers team with Souness's recent English signings (Woods, Butcher etc). Jim Duffy and Andy Ritchie played that day.

Less to our credit, is the fact that afterwards virtually every pre-season friendly and testimonial we played under McGraw was against Rangers.

13th August 1986 - Kilmarnock 2-2 Morton

A midweek trip to Rubgy Park saw Dougie Robertson put us ahead after only 5 minutes. Killie were 2-1 up by the break through Jim McGuire and Dave Cook. Rowan Alexander equalised on the hour with his second goal for the club in as many games.

Team that day - 

1. David Wylie

2. Alex O'Hara

3. Jim Holmes

4. Jim Hunter

5. Martin Doak

6. Tommy Turner

7. Dougie Robertson

8. Ian Clinging

9. John McNeil

10. Rowan Alexander

11. Jimmy Simpson

12. Joe Coyle

14. Jimmy Boag

Martin Doak was moved to replace the injured George Anderson, whilst Rowan Alexander was on from the start.

16th August 1986 - Morton 0-1 Dunfermline

Allan McGraw fielded the same team (and subs) as Wednesday night's game at Rugby Park. Newly promoted Dunfermline made it three wins out of three, with Norrie McCathie getting the only goal. McCathie tragically died in his home ten years later.

The game will be remembered more for Pars keeper Iain Westwater injuring Jimmy Simpson in a "collison". Simpson would not play football again.

1986.8.16 table.jpg

I remember the McCathie death, it really shook the Pars and also resulted in one of our games against them (understandably) being postponed for ages.

It wasn't understandable, they also had an injury crisis, and I think they got a few games called off round about then. It definitely helped them get over the finishing line.

It wasn't understandable, they also had an injury crisis, and I think they got a few games called off round about then. It definitely helped them get over the finishing line.

That is very probable but at the same time losing an important player to a tragic accident is grounds for postponement.

EOho8Pw.png

That's correct, but when we were in a similar position and asked for a game against them to be called off, we were made to lay. As I recall, Ian McDonald had to start the game injured and we signed John Anderson to bolster the squad. I THINK the game ended either 0-0 or 1-0 to us.

Ayrshire Ton for confirmation?

Archived