30 Years Ago.... - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

30 years ago Morton entered into the close season after a fairly average league campaign and manager Allan McGraw put together a side which would inevitably win the 1st Division and our last promotion to the top flight to date.

Season 1986-87 was not always comfortable, but the number of experienced heads in the squad got us over the finishing line (and the title - just!). For a long time we played second (and third) fiddle to Leishman's Dunfermline and Totten's Dumbarton but the final quarter was where both these sides wobbled and we seemed to grow in strength. Our 2-1 win at East End Park probably derailed the Pars' run-in.

A few memories of that season -

Beating Clyde on the opening day at Scapa (Alexander got his first goal) and not winning a Saturday home game again until Clyde's second visit.

Winning 3 games out of a group of 5 in a row by a score of 5-2 (Brechin, Partick, QoS) and losing the other two at home.

Robin Turner injuring himself saving a penalty against Killie and never quite recovering from it.

Beating Montrose 6-1 with six different goalscorers.

Wylie letting a 40 yard pass back from Martin Doak go through his legs against East Fife.

Beating Dumbarton 4-1 at New Year, with four of the goals being penalties.

Very briefly having the lead against St. Mirren (the eventual winners) in the Scottish Cup at Scapa.

Jimmy Boag scoring the winner at Dumbarton with his back.

Tears and snotters at Airdrie on the final day as we were losing 1-0 and Dunfermline were 3-1 up, only to find it was false rumours and the Pars were actually losing 1-0 at Montrose. Great pitch invasion.

Anyone else have any recollections from that season?

Edit - looks like the post counter is buggered, been sitting at 0 all afternoon.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Test reply. Edit - counter now working. Odd one, that.

Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Enjoyed the 63-64 thread by Niall, AT any chance of a similar one. Genuinely!

First ton game at cappielow was v Bradford pre season. Went to a few league games as well as Jimmy Simpson testimonial. Westwaters challenge?

Jimmy boag though! Superb!

And my postie around then too!

I'm trying to remember what the squad would've been back then:

Davie Wylie, Robin Turner

Jim Holmes, Alex O'Hara, John Boag, John McMaster, Jim Wilson?

Martin Doak, Lex Richardson, Jackie McNamara, Tommy Turner, Jimmy Simpson, Ian Clinging, Joe Coyle

Rowan Alexander, Dougie Robertson, Jimmy Boag, Jim Arthur

I put McMaster and Doak in defence as I think that's where they played more for us that season?

I must be missing a few defenders, but can't think who.

Look at her riding pillions on Davy’s sea-bike, carrying an apoplectic macaw in a silver hoop. Oh, Morton, let’s go there this winter!  Or learning the Japanese chinchona from that Kobe group, in a dress that looks like a blowtorch rising from one knee, and which should sell big in Texas. Morton, is that real fire? Happy, happy little girl!

McMaster was a mid season signing. Pretty sure he scored our second in the win at Boghead.

I don't remember Joe Coyle, SramTon. You missed John McNeil!

I hadn't been to a game for a couple of seasons, as my sister joined the family and my dad didn't have time anymore. First game I went to that year was a 3-0 home defeat by Dumbarton.

McMaster was a mid season signing. Pretty sure he scored our second in the win at Boghead.

I don't remember Joe Coyle, SramTon. You missed John McNeil!

I hadn't been to a game for a couple of seasons, as my sister joined the family and my dad didn't have time anymore. First game I went to that year was a 3-0 home defeat by Dumbarton.

John McNeil was actually one of the first names I thought of, but I must've forgotten him by the time I went to post!

Just realised that I missed out Jim Hunter.

Joe Coyle and Jimmy Simpson joined the Club from Dumbarton in a swap deal for Danny Docherty.   Docherty wasn't the best of players and the fact that we got two players in exchange for him maybe provides some indication of the quality of Joe Coyle (plus, I think, he was past it by the time he joined us).

I'm not sure if it was that season (I think it may have been) but I remember a midweek again against, IIRC, Falkirk at Cappielow.   Substitute comes on for us: forward, short-guy, very dark hair, very pacy, I never seen him before.   He's only on a few minutes when he scores a cracker.    His name is announced over the tannoy but the crowd is going mental and I can't make it out.   I ask my Dad who he is, I hear my Dad say something like "Porge".   I say "who", may Dad says something that I hear as "Porge, we signed him from Portugal".

I went away excited about our new foreign superstar until I picked up the Greenock Telegraph the following day and found out it was Jimmy Boag, who we'd signed from Port Glasgow.

Look at her riding pillions on Davy’s sea-bike, carrying an apoplectic macaw in a silver hoop. Oh, Morton, let’s go there this winter!  Or learning the Japanese chinchona from that Kobe group, in a dress that looks like a blowtorch rising from one knee, and which should sell big in Texas. Morton, is that real fire? Happy, happy little girl!

Only game I really remember that season is the last game at Broomfield, the one and only time I travelled on a supporters bus.

Other players not mentioned, George Cowie and Ralph Callaghan.

Keepers Andy Bruce, Ricky Ferguson and David Harvey all played single games that season too.

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

It must have been the previous season, as Falkirk were in the Premier League, (along with Hamilton and Clydebank!).

We had George Cowie on loan from Hearts, and he scored a couple during his time with us.

Enjoyed the 63-64 thread by Niall, AT any chance of a similar one. Genuinely!

First ton game at cappielow was v Bradford pre season. Went to a few league games as well as Jimmy Simpson testimonial. Westwaters challenge?

Jimmy boag though! Superb!

And my postie around then too!

Happy to do a matchday thread, maybe add some photos. A few of them will even have highlights attached.

Simpson's testimonial was against Rangers (lost 5-2) with Andy Ritchie and Jim Duffy playing the second half for us (Duffy scored one of ours).

It must have been the previous season, as Falkirk were in the Premier League, (along with Hamilton and Clydebank!).

We had George Cowie on loan from Hearts, and he scored a couple during his time with us.

He scored twice in three starts in season 86/87 on loan from Hearts.

He then signed the end of season 89/90 and played most of the following season too.

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

He scored twice in three starts in season 86/87 on loan from Hearts.

He then signed the end of season 89/90 and played most of the following season too.

After his loan he went to Dunfermline before he came to us - and one of those two goals for us was against Dunfermline.

I've just been watching some games from that season and realised I'd forgotten about this effort from Dunfermline's John Watson:

https://vine.co/v/iEAYIHuUZHT

Memories of the 12-year-old me pishing myself at that!

30 years ago Morton entered into the close season after a fairly average league campaign and manager Allan McGraw put together a side which would inevitably win the 1st Division and our last promotion to the top flight to date.

Season 1986-87 was not always comfortable, but the number of experienced heads in the squad got us over the finishing line (and the title - just!). For a long time we played second (and third) fiddle to Leishman's Dunfermline and Totten's Dumbarton but the final quarter was where both these sides wobbled and we seemed to grow in strength. Our 2-1 win at East End Park probably derailed the Pars' run-in.

A few memories of that season -

Beating Clyde on the opening day at Scapa (Alexander got his first goal) and not winning a Saturday home game again until Clyde's second visit.

Winning 3 games out of a group of 5 in a row by a score of 5-2 (Brechin, Partick, QoS) and losing the other two at home.

Robin Turner injuring himself saving a penalty against Killie and never quite recovering from it.

Beating Montrose 6-1 with six different goalscorers.

Wylie letting a 40 yard pass back from Martin Doak go through his legs against East Fife.

Beating Dumbarton 4-1 at New Year, with four of the goals being penalties.

Very briefly having the lead against St. Mirren (the eventual winners) in the Scottish Cup at Scapa.

Jimmy Boag scoring the winner at Dumbarton with his back.

Tears and snotters at Airdrie on the final day as we were losing 1-0 and Dunfermline were 3-1 up, only to find it was false rumours and the Pars were actually losing 1-0 at Montrose. Great pitch invasion.

Anyone else have any recollections from that season?

Edit - looks like the post counter is buggered, been sitting at 0 all afternoon.

Is this the OAP thread?

No, but it does bring back memories for those of us who were furtunate enough to watch a series of good teams and players, unlike some of the younger posters who have had to endure some dire players over the last few seasons or so.

Mind and do your homework for school on Monday.

Ha ha no worries I'm no spring chicken myself but not part of the senior squad yet however I did have the pleasure of seeing Harper Jordan and big Andy when I was a youngster

Well... they clearly couldn't have been that good given that they conceded precisely 200 league goals (a stunning 2.4 per game) in two top-flight campaigns. 

New halcyon days required IMO. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

In a year's time if anyone wants to do a thread about the debacle we had to suffer in the top flight - be my guest.

For now, we're discussing the team which won a league.

We were actually discussing the claim that we had "a series of good teams and players" - for which an analysis of their record over a series of several campaigns is appropriate. You'll get your shot again in a while.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Well, since the SFL moved from two big leagues to three smaller ones we have spent a total of 7 years in the top flight, the first 5 being consecutive followed by two single disastrous ones. For the final one it was a top league of 12 (with three relegated for reconstruction, which meant little to us as we only came off the bottom spot once all season), the others were a top 10.

In each case, the team which played in the top flight was very different to the one which won promotion, but only in the first case did we actually strengthen. In 1987 the older legs in the team were crucial in winning the 1st Division, but were badly found out the following season, and too much was asked of younger players who had never been in the first team. A few years later when we were stagnating McGraw admitted that he wished he had the title winning side back as "they'd have strolled this league".

Archived