30 Years Ago.... - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

McCabe was a McGraw masterstroke. Plucked from the obscurity of Motherwell reserves where he couldn't buy a goal only to bang in a hat-trick on his debut against Thistle.

Almost right. ;)

He did indeed get a hat-trick against Partick, in a 4-0 home win on 29 September 1990. But it wasn't his debut, that was a 2-1 defeat at away to Falkirk on 18 September 1990. It was his home debut though. :)

Dave got three hat-tricks for the Ton, the other two being against Clydebank on 2 January 1991 and Cowdenbeath on 2 February 1993.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Supposedly there was a falling out between Dave McCabe & Allan McGraw which led to him playing a much lesser role in his final season.

In season 90-91 has played in virtually every game, 41 starts in total and 23 goals which is a very decent strike rate at any level. If I recall correctly he picked up a bad injury in season 91-92 and only made 4 starts and 8 sub appearances and didn't score in any of them.

In his final season 92-93 he had 10 starts and 3 sub appearances and scored 6 goals but by then he was 30-31 years of age and he'd lost a lot of his lightning pace, perhaps also due in part to his bad injury from the previous season. I suspect that was the main reason for his lesser role that season, but maybe there was a fall-out as well. 

Supposedly there was a falling out between Dave McCabe & Allan McGraw which led to him playing a much lesser role in his final season.

That could be right, I remember speaking to McGraw after a Save the Ton meeting and speaking about former players etc, I mentioned Dave McCabe and the answer I got was "aaacch Dave McCabe" and he moved on to another subject very quickly.

Almost right. ;)

He did indeed get a hat-trick against Partick, in a 4-0 home win on 29 September 1990. But it wasn't his debut, that was a 2-1 defeat at away to Falkirk on 18 September 1990. It was his home debut though. :)

Dave got three hat-tricks for the Ton, the other two being against Clydebank on 2 January 1991 and Cowdenbeath on 2 February 1993.

That Cowdenbeath game was odd because the club decided to house all fans in the stand. Crowds were even worse back then than they are now.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

That Cowdenbeath game was odd because the club decided to house all fans in the stand. Crowds were even worse back then than they are now.

Yeah, it was a Tuesday night game with an attendance of 814.

Strange thing was that just a couple of months earlier on 13 December 1992 we played in the B&Q cup final a Love Street against Hamilton in front of 7319, at least 5000 of which were Ton fans.

Yeah, it was a Tuesday night game with an attendance of 814.

Strange thing was that just a couple of months earlier on 13 December 1992 we played in the B&Q cup final a Love Street against Hamilton in front of 7319, at least 5000 of which were Ton fans.

Why would that be strange? The only observation worth noting is that both attendance figures are slightly lower than we'd expect to see now - because current attendances are better now (and are high compared to every other period of the club milling around the same level of the game). 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

That could be right, I remember speaking to McGraw after a Save the Ton meeting and speaking about former players etc, I mentioned Dave McCabe and the answer I got was "aaacch Dave McCabe" and he moved on to another subject very quickly.

He got asked about McCabe at a Q&A session in the supporters club, and could only say that he was playing in Ireland. Refused to talk about not giving him a game.

Highlight was axeman completely owning him when he went on about attendances.

Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Think your memory is playing tricks on you a wee bit. 

His 2nd last start for us, which is the game I think you're referring to, was a 2-2 draw away to Clydebank on 1 May 1993, in which he scored both goals. But he also started the week previously, a 2-1 defeat away to Hamilton. His previous start before that was on 27 February 1993, also a 1-2 defeat to Hamilton, this time at home. So in fact he hadn't been out of the picture for ages, only a couple of months. 

The next game after the Clydebank game was as you said his last for us, a 1-3 defeat at home to Stirling Albion on 8 May 1993, when he was substituted for Rowan Alexander. Our goal that day was scored by Alex Mathie. That was the last game of the season and Dave was released in the summer by which time he was 31, so his best years were already behind him.

He played a total of 66 games (11 as sub) over three season with us, so don't think McGraw was shy in picking him at all.

Good wee player though. 

Hmm, my memory does seem to be quite fallible when it comes to these details.

The game I'm thinking of was definitely a home game, I'm pretty sure midweek.   McGraw was definitely hospitalised, but I can't remember if it was his knees (something makes me think it was a heart attack?)

Look at her riding pillions on Davy’s sea-bike, carrying an apoplectic macaw in a silver hoop. Oh, Morton, let’s go there this winter!  Or learning the Japanese chinchona from that Kobe group, in a dress that looks like a blowtorch rising from one knee, and which should sell big in Texas. Morton, is that real fire? Happy, happy little girl!

The game I'm thinking of was definitely a home game, I'm pretty sure midweek. McGraw was definitely hospitalised, but I can't remember if it was his knees (something makes me think it was a heart attack?)

That'll be the Cowdenbeath game you're thinking about.
I'd love to have you both for dinner

The game I'm thinking of was definitely a home game, I'm pretty sure midweek.   McGraw was definitely hospitalised, but I can't remember if it was his knees (something makes me think it was a heart attack?)

He had a heart attack at Dunfermline in 1995. Peter Cormack picked the team for a couple of games - one of them that 6-1 pumping at McDiarmid Park.

That'll be the Cowdenbeath game you're thinking about.

He had a heart attack at Dunfermline in 1995. Peter Cormack picked the team for a couple of games - one of them that 6-1 pumping at McDiarmid Park.

Cheers, both. I'm away on holiday now, so I'll have to leave you all to your more reliable memories.

Look at her riding pillions on Davy’s sea-bike, carrying an apoplectic macaw in a silver hoop. Oh, Morton, let’s go there this winter!  Or learning the Japanese chinchona from that Kobe group, in a dress that looks like a blowtorch rising from one knee, and which should sell big in Texas. Morton, is that real fire? Happy, happy little girl!

McCabe broke his ankle in the last game of the season at Firhill in May 91.

He fell out of favour after that.

A week or two before the Challenge Cup final he scored two or three in a midweek game, if memory serves, yet couldn't get a start in the cup final.

Let's rock !

McCabe broke his ankle in the last game of the season at Firhill in May 91.

He fell out of favour after that.

A week or two before the Challenge Cup final he scored two or three in a midweek game, if memory serves, yet couldn't get a start in the cup final.

Had a look - he scored our second in a 2-2 draw with Stirling the weekend before the Final. It was his first of the season.

He scored 3 in the midweek Cowdenbeath game two months later.

Not quite 30 years ago, but I'll stick this here. The nick of Firs Park now.

Firs Park.jpg

Archived