30 Years Ago.... - Page 6 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Getting caught up again...

27th September 1986 - Forfar Athletic 2-2 Morton

Team - Wylie, O'Hara, Holmes, Hunter, Boag, Doak, Robertson, Richardson, Alexander, Clinging, Coyle

Subs - Wilson, McNeil

We would draw three of our four games against Forfar during this season. Joe Coyle made his only start of the season in this game. 

Morton's goals came (almost inevitably) from Dougie Robertson and Rowan Alexander.

David Wylie would miss the next 8 games through injury.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People gormlessly accepting results like that are why we haven't had good things for the last thirty years. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Hard to disagree with that.

This was the second season in a row with a crap pre-Christmas and a better post-Christmas. In 85-86 we were bottom of the 1st division at one stage, whilst crap like Hamilton and Clydebank were heading for the Premier.

We really only won the 1st in 86-87 because Dunfermline imploded after our win at EEP in the final quarter. Had they had any kind of consistency we'd likely have been scrapping with Dumbarton for 2nd place.

Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

30th September 1986 - Morton 2-1 Airdrie

Another non-Saturday home win as Morton inflicted Airdrie's first defeat of the season.

Robin Turner took over in goals for the injured David Wylie. Jim Holmes scored after 15 minutes and Rowan Alexander headed a second just before half time. Gerry Christie ensured a nervous finish with a solo effort on 76 minutes.

Team - R Turner, O'Hara, Holmes, Hunter, Boag, Doak, Robertson, Richardson, Alexander, Clinging, T Turner

Subs - Coyle, McNeil

Still can't upload photos for some reason. This result left us 6 points behind leaders Dunfermline.

4th October 1986 - Clyde 1-2 Morton

Morton start the second quarter of the season the way they started the first, with a win over Clyde, this time at Firhill.

Dougie Roberston got both our goals. The team was unchanged from the midweek win over Airdrie.

Upload skipped (Error500)

Dunfermline - 19

Airdrie - 16

Dumbarton - 15

QoS - 15

Morton - 14

Forfar - 13

East Fife - 12

Kilmarnock - 10

Montrose - 8

Clyde - 8

Partick - 8

Brechin 6

I received a parking ticket that day, but boy was it worth it.👍🏼 The player stopped down up on the pavilion and chucked there gear to the fans .

eat drink and be merry for tommorrow you may be radioiactive

I received a parking ticket that day, but boy was it worth it. The player stopped down up on the pavilion and chucked there gear to the fans .

It'll be May before I get to that game!

4th October 1986 - Clyde 1-2 Morton

Morton start the second quarter of the season the way they started the first...

I received a parking ticket that day, but boy was it worth it. The player stopped down up on the pavilion and chucked there gear to the fans .

What a buffoon!

And the part I've highlighted are the haverings of a madman.

HHkTu1F.jpg

What a buffoon!

And the part I've highlighted are the haverings of a madman.

He also used "there" instead of "their". 

So, poor grammar, wrong opposition & wrong part of the season. Otherwise fine.

8th October 1986 - Morton 2-0 Kilmarnock

Another home win, yet again a midweek one. A header in each half, the first from John Boag and the second from Rowan Alexander.

Robin Turner saved a late Killie penalty and was injured in the process. He didn't play for the first team again. Morton would field three different keepers over the next 5 games until David Wylie recovered from injury.

I remember watching this from the WDE. The Killie casuals arrived late, just in time to see us to take the lead.

Team - R Turner, O'Hara, Holmes, Hunter, Boag, Doak, Robertson, Richardson, Alexander, Clinging, T Turner

Subs - Coyle, McNeil

11th October 1986 - Morton 2-3 Brechin City

With both goalkeepers injured, Morton acquired Rikki Ferguson on loan from Hamilton for this one game.
The "Cappielow on a Saturday" curse struck again - Brechin took an early lead, to the delight of both of their fans. Ian Clinging equalised before the visitors went 3-1 up by half time, courtesy of some really crap defending. A second half onslaught ensued but could only produce a solitary late goal by Lex Richardson. The home fans were far from happy at losing to the bottom side. A guy next to me in the WDE remarked -"if this team go up they'll struggle in the Premier, and their fans are too abusive of their own team".

Team - Ferguson, O'Hara, Holmes, Hunter, Boag, Doak, Robertson, Richardson, Alexander, Clinging, T Turner
Subs - Coyle, McNeil

Mods - still can't attach photos. Keep getting an Error500 message 

Hadn't noticed the forum returning, so a few to catch up on.

6th September 1986 - Partick Thistle 2-5 Morton

Back on track with five goals at Firhill. Patrick player-manager Derek Johnstone, blowing out of his arse, subbed himself.

Scorers were Rowan Alexander (2), Martin Doak (2) and Ian Clinging.

16th September 1986 - Morton 5-2 Queen of the South

Another midweek home win, yet another 5-2 scoreline. 

Alexander got a hat-trick, Dougie Robertson and Tommy Turner got the other two.

16th September 1986 - Morton 0-2 Montrose

A Saturday home game and after scoring ten in our last two outings, Montrose bring us back to earth with another defeat. 

We return to mid-table obscurity.

**Can't upload the photo of the league table - it keeps failing**

I was at both the QOTS and Montrose matches.

Dougie Robertson goal was a cracking high curling effort around edge of the box.

Morton ran amok for about 20 mins in the 2nd half scoring 4 goals i think.

Jimmy Robertson for QOTS scored a good solo goal to make it 5-2; i think that goal was reason Morton bought him for when we went up into the Premier League the next season.  The only thing i remember clearly about Jimmy Roberstson was a dreadful dreich November day against Dundee Utd where we lost 1-0 (Ferguson i think scored the ONLY chance for them).  Anyway Jim McInally (yes HIM) of Dundee Utd ran across towards stand touchline (right in front of my viewline) and maliciously clattered into Robertson legs - he had a broken leg.

Morton v Montrose ; typical Morton after 10 goals in 2 games they then play like donkeys against a poor Montrose team.  The highlight i think was 1st half when we were 1-0 down and we hit a free kick which deflected off the Montrose wall.  This wrong footed the Montrose goalie who ended up on his backside and the ball squirmed along pitch and hit the post.  The ball agonisingly was about a yard or so from goalline where Dougie Robertson came in (to score) and he slipped on his backside at the crucial point; goalie got the ball.

Dougie Robertson goal was a cracking high curling effort around edge of the box.

Jimmy Robertson for QOTS scored a good solo goal to make it 5-2; i think that goal was reason Morton bought him for when we went up into the Premier League the next season.  The only thing i remember clearly about Jimmy Roberstson was a dreadful dreich November day against Dundee Utd where we lost 1-0 (Ferguson i think scored the ONLY chance for them).  Anyway Jim McInally (yes HIM) of Dundee Utd ran across towards stand touchline (right in front of my viewline) and maliciously clattered into Robertson legs - he had a broken leg.

Morton v Montrose ; typical Morton after 10 goals in 2 games they then play like donkeys against a poor Montrose team.  The highlight i think was 1st half when we were 1-0 down and we hit a free kick which deflected off the Montrose wall.  This wrong footed the Montrose goalie who ended up on his backside and the ball squirmed along pitch and hit the post.  The ball agonisingly was about a yard or so from goalline where Dougie Robertson came in (to score) and he slipped on his backside at the crucial point; goalie got the ball.

Should have said the QOTS fans gave their temporary goalie from Man City some pelters (McWilliams i think).  Many of them left shouting away back to Manchester you black b?????

I've often wondered why Alex Mathie doesn't get the same hero status as a lot of players. He was ****ing immense and went on to play in the Premiership. To think he couldn't dislodge a 200-year-old Jim Tolmie or John Gahagan (got to admit I don't remember this guy at all but my understanding is that he was on the downswing by the early 90s) is madness. Mathie deserves more recognition than he gets.

You're right Nachoking, Alex was a fine player, very Quick.

I remember seeing him as a 16yr old boy playing against my sons team in the Paisley and district league.

Foobs

It's almost as if Jim McInally is a bit of a c***.

26/4/18

A Decade of Wakeism.

The only thing i remember clearly about Jimmy Roberstson was a dreadful dreich November day against Dundee Utd where we lost 1-0 (Ferguson i think scored the ONLY chance for them).  Anyway Jim McInally (yes HIM) of Dundee Utd ran across towards stand touchline (right in front of my viewline) and maliciously clattered into Robertson legs - he had a broken leg.

Jimmy scored a great solo goal (our 4th) in our 4-3 win over Dundee - our first win in the Premier that season.

The Dundee United game (0-1) I remember because at FT an old boy near me in the shed yelled out "McGraw Must Go!". I'd never heard a Ton fan call for the manager to go before. United's second visit was a belter - Paatelainen and Sturrock ran riot and Wylie had a 'mare in a 0-4 defeat.

The old boy's prescient words were heeded a mere nine years later.

He was never getting sacked under John Wilson, no matter how low we sank. 

Jimmy scored a great solo goal (our 4th) in our 4-3 win over Dundee - our first win in the Premier that season.

The Dundee United game (0-1) I remember because at FT an old boy near me in the shed yelled out "McGraw Must Go!". I'd never heard a Ton fan call for the manager to go before. United's second visit was a belter - Paatelainen and Sturrock ran riot and Wylie had a 'mare in a 0-4 defeat.

Assume you were not around in the Willie McLean era. No manager before or after was even half as bad.

Archived