Thread About Ex Player - Page 432 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

On 4/2/2024 at 10:24 PM, Toby said:

Good luck to him in retirement. A good man who was given quite a baptism of fire in his first job working for that bastard.

And thanks for bringing Harry Curran to Morton.

I'll second that. 

Had all the makings of being our best manager since Benny Rooney but for H*** S**** dismantling everything from within. 

Billy, happy retirement - cheers for THAT day ay Love Street.

• Upvote 1

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

• 3 weeks later...

Declan McManus ends the league season with made-up "The New Saints" on 13 goals from 17 appearances (7 starts, 10 as a substitute), or one every 55 minutes. TNS ended the "Welshman's League" (note to sub: check name) unbeaten on 92 points from a possible 96. They now face Connah's Quay in the final of the Welsh Cup next Sunday.

That will be the last game for in whatever colors Connah's Quay wear for Jordan Davies, who arrives at Scottish giants Greenock Morton in the summer transfer window.

(Davies managed 19 league goals in 31 league games, all as a starter, for a goal every 145 minutes. Connah's Quay of course don't have the firepower of TNS; they finished second, but a distant second, 33 points behind TNS.)

EOho8Pw.png

6 ex players have made the PFA teams of the year

Premiership - Lawrence Shankland

Championship - Brian Graham

League One - Aidan Nesbitt, Calvin Miller

League Two - Carlo Pignatiello, Gregor Buchanan

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, gmfc_craig said:

Former loanee Jimmy Knowles starting and scored for Boston Utd v Brackley Town in National League North play off. Currently live on TNT Sports

Finishes 2-1 to Boston, who now go up to the National League. 

EOho8Pw.png

Jon Scullion is the size of a house these days. Playing for Kilbirnie Ladeside, who also have Jamie McGowan and Alan Frizzell in their team.

Jon-Scullion-Kilbirnie-682x1024.jpg

Derek Gaston has left Arbroath.

Presumably he's looking to be first choice somewhere after McIntyre had him sitting on the bench behind an obviously much poorer goalkeeper in Boruc, but if Mullen's injury record means we'll be looking to continue with an established second choice goalkeeper rather than a youngster, whether that's Murdoch or another Lawton Green type signing, then I could see worse options. He's better and likely cheaper than MacDonald.

• Upvote 2

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

1 hour ago, dunning1874 said:

Derek Gaston has left Arbroath.

Presumably he's looking to be first choice somewhere after McIntyre had him sitting on the bench behind an obviously much poorer goalkeeper in Boruc, but if Mullen's injury record means we'll be looking to continue with an established second choice goalkeeper rather than a youngster, whether that's Murdoch or another Lawton Green type signing, then I could see worse options. He's better and likely cheaper than MacDonald.

I’ was thinking the exact same thing when I seen he was off. 

Gavin Reilly leaving QoS to and is joining Arbroath. He is apparently starting an apprenticeship outside of football and wants to play part time. Good luck to him

Absolutely no good luck to him, after turning down a contract with The Famous to chase more money in the seaside leagues with Queen of the South and their delusional promotion 'warchest'. Which has worked out splendidly for all involved. 

That's the point where his career as a credible full-time professional footballer actually ended. 

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Watched Robert Thomson play at centre forward for East Kilbride against Stranraer today. He was absolutely dreadful, even at that level. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

12 hours ago, BishopBrennan said:

Watched Robert Thomson play at centre forward for East Kilbride against Stranraer today. He was absolutely dreadful, even at that level. 

Watching the highlights - how the f**k that that ground be allowed in the senior tiers?

Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

56 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Watching the highlights - how the f**k that that ground be allowed in the senior tiers?

Aye it’s crap, and when you watch the highlights of the game it doesn’t even scratch the surface on the logistics of watching a game there.

Sight lines in the stand are poor, only slightly better than the new Meadowbank. I know most won’t have visited that since renovation, but trust me, it’s shite. At K Park, I used to always stand in the area between the stand and pavilion, before they made it a dead area because it obstructed the view of those in the stand. You’ll see from the highlights that it was busy yesterday, which suggests that a big crowd plays havoc with ground regulations.

It’s a good half hour walk from the train and bus station, but easily accessible by road, and parking is plentiful, given that it’s located inside the Country Park, the town’s main (only) tourist attraction. Parking is available outside the park, which is good as otherwise it’s a tiny one-way access road, but it’s okay for boozers with two social clubs in the vicinity.

There’s talk that a ground will be flung up at Langlands, another out-of-town plastic monstrosity in the Broadwood or Forthbank ilk, in no time at all should they make it up, funded by the Kean brothers (East Kilbride’s Easdales) with guys working round the clock to get it ready, but I can’t see K Park not hosting League Two football for at least part of next season if they make it.

Ironically, there’s a very well run amateur club building a £1 million stadium in the town just now, right beside the train station and in walking distance of all a football fan would want. I can see them eventually joining the West of Scotland League at some point, possibly at the expense of EK Thistle, who I don’t see lasting much longer.

It was an enjoyable enough game, setting up an intriguing second leg. I’m not sure how I feel about EK coming up- they’ve rubbed folk up the wrong way, and Kennedy and Ferry aren’t popular with those outside the club, but I spoke to an old school friend yesterday who told me how good Kennedy is with their young fans, and specifically his boy, taking them on the team bus to away games etc.

The B-Team voting is the massive black mark against their name, but they didn’t step on anyone’s toes to get into the Lowland, despite being a relatively new club, and I don’t see them as doing much different from what Raith are doing, and receiving plaudits for. A case of one rule for a club that’s part of Scottish football’s fabric, and another for newcomers?

I prefer a new team to come up every year as that’s the whole point of the pyramid, but Stranraer will be a club I’d be sad to see go- a great day out with some good and not-so-good memories.

From a Morton perspective, as well as Thomson, who was crap, Thomas Orr got the first half for Stranraer and did very little before coming off at the break. Peter Weatherson on the Stranraer coaching staff was looking well and Jai Quitongo, who I predicted the other day on P&B would sign for EK, was in the crowd, although he is from these parts.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Toby said:

It was an enjoyable enough game, setting up an intriguing second leg. I’m not sure how I feel about EK coming up- they’ve rubbed folk up the wrong way, and Kennedy and Ferry aren’t popular with those outside the club, but I spoke to an old school friend yesterday who told me how good Kennedy is with their young fans, and specifically his boy, taking them on the team bus to away games etc.

The B-Team voting is the massive black mark against their name, but they didn’t step on anyone’s toes to get into the Lowland, despite being a relatively new club, and I don’t see them as doing much different from what Raith are doing, and receiving plaudits for. A case of one rule for a club that’s part of Scottish football’s fabric, and another for newcomers?

I prefer a new team to come up every year as that’s the whole point of the pyramid, but Stranraer will be a club I’d be sad to see go- a great day out with some good and not-so-good memories.

Hearing that there was a fair amount of anger flying around the EK changing room at FT yesterday.

I would, for more than one reason, prefer Stranraer stay up.

I'm hearing that a couple of clubs in the senior tiers (Edinburgh City presumably being one) have similar standards to that which kept Buckie Thistle out of the play-offs and, despite having had two years to sort it out, haven't. 

7 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Hearing that there was a fair amount of anger flying around the EK changing room at FT yesterday.

I would, for more than one reason, prefer Stranraer stay up.

I'm hearing that a couple of clubs in the senior tiers (Edinburgh City presumably being one) have similar standards to that which kept Buckie Thistle out of the play-offs and, despite having had two years to sort it out, haven't. 

I wouldn’t read much into a dressing room rammy tbh, it happens the world over, but of course know that given your family connections, you’ll be more keen on Stranraer staying up.

As I say, I’m not sure if I want East Kilbride up. I’ve got a Morton supporting pal from EK who does, given they’re our local team, but I’ve got a lot more questions than answers about them. I’m more cynical by nature than he is, though.

I’d say it’s more morbid curiosity than anything else, but given their financial clout, the prospect of them overtaking Morton one day would be a sore one.

The problem with your point about facilities though is, the licence criteria is very specific. East Kilbride tick the boxes and Buckie don’t. They’ve actually got the Bronze Licence while Airdrie, even with their modern ground, don’t as there’s more to it than just a club’s ground. The SFA can’t just walk into K Park and say, “This looks a bit crap, fail.”

The big issue should be why clubs on the inside of the SPFL are allowed special dispensation, but those on the outside aren’t- none of this actually affecting EK, but, as we saw, affecting Buckie. It smacks of self-preservation. I’d much rather see teams promoted on the merits of their performance and then expelled if, after a period of grace they don’t meet the criteria.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

There are 5 clubs in the SPFL without a bronze license.

Candidate clubs needed to get their license ratified or granted a grace period by 31st March ahead of the playoffs. EK did that, Buckie didn't bother to even apply for the grace period so were rightfully disqualified.

Those already in the SPFL also have to achieve their license (or have grace period granted) ahead of next season. They were all given an auto grace period until 1st July.

Read that 4/5 are there or thereabouts so should be granted with just Edinburgh City in doubt although they released a statement denying paper talk that their expulsion was imminent.

Edited by Jamie_M

On 5/12/2024 at 12:28 PM, AyrshireTon said:

Airdrie, Cove and Peterhead all granted their licence yesterday. Just Kelty (a formality once they enlist a doctor) and Edinburgh City still outstanding.