Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Toby

Crawford Rae, Cappielow and MCT

Recommended Posts

There’s not been enough discussion about this, so I feel a separate thread is appropriate.

Let’s be honest, it’s a dick move from Crawford, only one step up from Hugh Scott’s attempts to bulldoze the place imho. I get that he is looking out for what’s best for his family’s interests, but as a custodian of the club’s he also has a duty of care towards it, which, by stripping it of it’s only major asset, he’s not only neglecting, but actively harming it.

What about MCT’s role, here? Do they realise the position they are in? As far as I can see, they’re the only show in town, and Crawford shouldn’t be holding all the cards. He’s desperate to get the burden of Morton off his family, so I’d about time they started playing hardball over the ownership of the ground. If the two parties can’t come to an agreement because Crawford isn’t prepared to do what’s best for the club, I think it’s obvious where the blame lies.

We can’t go sleepwalking into the regime because a rich man wants to have his cake and eat it.

Your thoughts, please...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Toby said:

There’s not been enough discussion about this, so I feel a separate thread is appropriate.

Let’s be honest, it’s a dick move from Crawford, only one step up from Hugh Scott’s attempts to bulldoze the place imho. I get that he is looking out for what’s best for his family’s interests, but as a custodian of the club’s he also has a duty of care towards it, which, by stripping it of it’s only major asset, he’s not only neglecting, but actively harming it.

What about MCT’s role, here? Do they realise the position they are in? As far as I can see, they’re the only show in town, and Crawford shouldn’t be holding all the cards. He’s desperate to get the burden of Morton off his family, so I’d about time they started playing hardball over the ownership of the ground. If the two parties can’t come to an agreement because Crawford isn’t prepared to do what’s best for the club, I think it’s obvious where the blame lies.

We can’t go sleepwalking into the regime because a rich man wants to have his cake and eat it.

Your thoughts, please...

Its unsettling for sure. Crawford and the rest of the Rae's have already cutback so sharply to protect their own interests, so why would they care about whats best for Morton when they have no obligation to the club. 

If I remember rightly, they agreed it couldn't be sold whilst MCT are the owners. This is something, but I'd be happier (if the ground cant be part of the deal now) if there was an agreement for a cutprice purchase of the ground through installments over x years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Toby said:

There’s not been enough discussion about this, so I feel a separate thread is appropriate.

Let’s be honest, it’s a dick move from Crawford, only one step up from Hugh Scott’s attempts to bulldoze the place imho. I get that he is looking out for what’s best for his family’s interests, but as a custodian of the club’s he also has a duty of care towards it, which, by stripping it of it’s only major asset, he’s not only neglecting, but actively harming it.

What about MCT’s role, here? Do they realise the position they are in? As far as I can see, they’re the only show in town, and Crawford shouldn’t be holding all the cards. He’s desperate to get the burden of Morton off his family, so I’d about time they started playing hardball over the ownership of the ground. If the two parties can’t come to an agreement because Crawford isn’t prepared to do what’s best for the club, I think it’s obvious where the blame lies.

We can’t go sleepwalking into the regime because a rich man wants to have his cake and eat it.

Your thoughts, please...

Not the first time I have heard someone utter HS's name in relation to the current situation with Crawford this week. On the face of it, it feels a little harsh still, but there's a lot going on the should be turning opinions that way.

Stripping the assets and handing over the loss liability is supposed to be seen as some philanthropic act to be lauded? Completely win win from his (their) point of view.

Agreement in place not to sell it from under them while MCT are owners and also that they only pay a token rental. But how watertight will that agreement be? If Golden Casket's finances take a turn for the worse, how much pressure will the rest of the shareholders put on that agreement?

Not sure MCT were the only show in town, they rejected a bid before announcing the agreement and several investors looking at Scottish Football right now. 

Surprised more MCT subscribers aren't questioning how their contributions are currently being used also. It was sold as a 'top up the playing budget for a better quality of player and better performances on the pitch'. Instead, at a time when MCT contributions to the playing budget are at their highest, the board have merely slashed the budget to the bare bones due to having the money coming from elsewhere.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aye, there needs to be more details around this part. The MCT approach has been to say it will be fine but ite a big concern as is the potential two season transition when Rae will be spending the absolute minimum and we could drop down the leagues and have no stadium. The latter scenario doesn't really fit well with relying on fans paying since less people are likely to have an interest when things aren't going so well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the current squad I'd expect relegation this season as things stand - that with Hopkin asking MCT to dig deeper rather than his current employer is alarming. Crawford's stewardship is, for me, likely to leave us and MCT in the third tier because for the six figure sum the fans are already putting up it's clear that he's just withdrawing his own support for the team budget. I'm far less happy about GC keeping the club's assets now than a few months ago.


 

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 


onsP5NR.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I asked about the ground situation - the nominal fee, how binding it is - and this was the answer I got from 'StuartTon' (not sure if the person who answered is associated with MCT - I'm guessing "yes" but it's a guess):

Quote

They’ve said they can’t disclose exactly what the amount is, but it’s very small.

Its really time protect Cappielow should MCT fall into hardship then it’s protected from any creditors. Was described as “future proofing” to protect Cappielow.

it will be written into the lease that Morton will continue to play at Cappielow for as long as MCT own the club.

...

Also worth saying they clarified that the club will still be responsible for the upkeep costs of Cappielow and the car park, but that all income from both go to the club.

I can see the advantage in it, but at the same time, what if GC falls into hardship? I also asked what agreement is in place for capital improvements: what if we wanted to (for example) rebuild the WDE? I imagine a lot of this is under consideration but the bottom line is that MCT will inherit a club with limited income and no assets... a bit of a poisoned chalice.

Without knowing the ins and outs of the contract I can't say for sure that it's a bad deal, but what I will say is that there's a million ways in which this could go tits up and leave MCT with absolutely nothing other than a league membership and some intellectual property - no other assets (except Aiden Nesbitt.) They won't even own a shanty full of kettles and heaters.

Edited by TRVMP

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.


Do you like Abba?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The begging bowl act really pissed me off. Suggests that there was a clear plan for the current BOD to slash the budget even further but rely on MCT, whilst also wanting to strip us of our biggest asset. Total cake and eat it stuff as you say, Toby. 

Taking liberties IMO.


TIME FOR CHANGE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always did think Trump was spot on..

 

MAKE MORTON GREAT AGAIN (Or maybe for the first time ever)

Edited by TONofmemories

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were great when:

  • We rioted with the Port
  • We won the big cup
  • We horsed the murn 5-1
  • Wake

That's about it.

  • Upvote 2

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.


Do you like Abba?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please add hounding FalkirKKK in their own bus shelter, sending them plummeting to seaside league obscurity, to that limited list of greatness. It surely trumps (pun most definitely intended) the rest..

Thanks in advance, 

TOM

Edited by TONofmemories
  • Upvote 2

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Not the first time I have heard someone utter HS's name in relation to the current situation with Crawford this week. On the face of it, it feels a little harsh still, but there's a lot going on the should be turning opinions that way.

Stripping the assets and handing over the loss liability is supposed to be seen as some philanthropic act to be lauded? Completely win win from his (their) point of view.

Agreement in place not to sell it from under them while MCT are owners and also that they only pay a token rental. But how watertight will that agreement be? If Golden Casket's finances take a turn for the worse, how much pressure will the rest of the shareholders put on that agreement?

Not sure MCT were the only show in town, they rejected a bid before announcing the agreement and several investors looking at Scottish Football right now. 

Surprised more MCT subscribers aren't questioning how their contributions are currently being used also. It was sold as a 'top up the playing budget for a better quality of player and better performances on the pitch'. Instead, at a time when MCT contributions to the playing budget are at their highest, the board have merely slashed the budget to the bare bones due to having the money coming from elsewhere.

1) Who are GC going to sell a ground and land that is restricted (AFAIK) to sporting rather than commercial use? The reality is that so long as there is a football club and an Inverclyde Council, Cappielow has zero value as an investment for any other purpose: unless you're building the club another ground as part of the package, your change of use and planning applications are never getting through. 

To me holding on to the ground has got more to do with propping up GC's nominal balance sheet and them looking to earn some extra income by flogging it back to the club in a few years time. Which isn't a good position to be in but the majority of fans should have thought about that a bit more back when they were lauding 'Doooogie' for pushing the boat out at the club's expense via his giant IOU account.

2) If MCT was restricted to chipping in money to get a better first team squad then it wouldn't interest me at all. The aim all along had to be to lever GC out of the club and that it is taking not too long at all to do that is a good thing.

The pledge to ringfence funding for first team players was foolish not only because it can't actually be enforced in practice but that it also gives Hopkin - like any other manager would in his position - the chance to call out the fans to improve his squad with more investment. That's an unhealthy relationship to build and the next pledge cycle should IMO target two or three priority areas across the club for investment: not just the first team but infrastructure and commercial as well. It should never again be a blank cheque for the manager.

Edited by vikingTON

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

 

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

We were great when:

  • We rioted with the Port
  • We won the big cup
  • We horsed the murn 5-1
  • Wake

That's about it.

A grievous oversight of the 1922 Cappielow riot, as fans of a provincial big cup winning team reacted to not landing the Double with shipyard rivets. Unquestionably the greatest moment in Scottish football history.

  • Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

 

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

A grievous oversight of the 1922 Cappielow riot, as fans of a provincial big cup winning team reacted to not landing the Double with shipyard rivets. Unquestionably the greatest moment in Scottish football history.

I had it in my head that 1922 was the Port riot, which looking back obviously makes no sense. OK, let's add the Big Riot to the Dirty Wee Port riot.

  • Upvote 1

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.


Do you like Abba?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to think that GC screwing us over with the ground at some point would go down terribly with the locals and get a fair bit of press coverage, perhaps putting them off, but I might be overestimating how much those that don’t follow the club would actually care. 

As for the budget, I really don’t know what position we would’ve been in without MCT to fall back on at the minute. Rae has to have reduced whatever he’s putting it, at a time when we actually need it most.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TRVMP said:

I had it in my head that 1922 was the Port riot, which looking back obviously makes no sense. OK, let's add the Big Riot to the Dirty Wee Port riot.

There were several Port riots. We rioted with pretty much every Renfrewshire team at some point back then.

1922 could only see either of the ugly sisters win the title (Morton were mid-table). We were leading Celtic 1-0 and just rioted with them for the sake of it. And why not?


McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A very cynical assessment would be that the Rae’s don’t expect MCT to be a success (not exactly unreasonable) and are holding on to the ground to sell it when the club goes tits-up. 


AWMSC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2020 at 3:52 PM, TRVMP said:

I had it in my head that 1922 was the Port riot, which looking back obviously makes no sense. OK, let's add the Big Riot to the Dirty Wee Port riot.

The Celtic support's banners were taken off them and burned en route to the Port if that helps (thereby pissing off all the sympathisers in that shanty town as well).

  • Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

 

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2020 at 3:15 PM, TRVMP said:

I asked about the ground situation - the nominal fee, how binding it is - and this was the answer I got from 'StuartTon' (not sure if the person who answered is associated with MCT - I'm guessing "yes" but it's a guess):

I can see the advantage in it, but at the same time, what if GC falls into hardship? I also asked what agreement is in place for capital improvements: what if we wanted to (for example) rebuild the WDE? I imagine a lot of this is under consideration but the bottom line is that MCT will inherit a club with limited income and no assets... a bit of a poisoned chalice.

Without knowing the ins and outs of the contract I can't say for sure that it's a bad deal, but what I will say is that there's a million ways in which this could go tits up and leave MCT with absolutely nothing other than a league membership and some intellectual property - no other assets (except Aiden Nesbitt.) They won't even own a shanty full of kettles and heaters.

Lewis Strapp.  Scotland's best defender since Richard Gough.


Life is a series of compromises anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.