KingsTON

Thread About Ex Player

On 8/11/2020 at 11:17 PM, Toby said:

I see the BBC Scotland channel showing a documentary about the ups and downs of Garry O’Connor’s career.

That should be some laugh.

Said documentary is on at 10pm tonight.

• Upvote 1

Connor Pepper comes on as a late substitute in Linfield's 1-0 loss to Legia Warsaw in the UCL.

Now before Gavin goes, I'd like to ask him one more question.

Do you like Abba?

Extensive interview with Joe McKee about his whole career here. He speaks very highly of Jim Duffy when he's talking about Morton.

https://www.stonewallermag.co.uk/post/joe-mckee-curtain-call

While on his time with us he also mentions "wanting the ball all the time"...

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Hard to disagree with that - whether he was playing well or not you couldn’t say he hid in games. Certainly not in those two seasons under Duffy anyway.

• Downvote 1

Very brief mention in Garry O’Connor’s documentary. Just admits he was in no shape and wasn’t fit enough to play. It’s a decent watch.

8 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

Extensive interview with Joe McKee about his whole career here. He speaks very highly of Jim Duffy when he's talking about Morton.

https://www.stonewallermag.co.uk/post/joe-mckee-curtain-call

While on his time with us he also mentions "wanting the ball all the time"...

Sounds like a decent, genuine, hard-working guy that we're well rid of. And frankly, he sounds like exactly the kind of guy who should be away from full-time football, and straight into coaching, which he seems to have both the personality and mindset for. Best of luck to him on that. 

Edited by TRVMP

Do you like Abba?

15 hours ago, cmdc said:

Hard to disagree with that - whether he was playing well or not you couldn’t say he hid in games. 

Yes who can forget how he single-handedly dragged the 13/14 squad out of danger with all of his Roy of the Rovers style, all-action performances in the middle of the park. Oh no wait: he was actually rubbish, hid as usual when the going got tough and so emerged with as little credit from that disgrace of a season as any other player in the squad with the singular exception of Sir Douglas. A useless, flea-hearted sand-dancer. 

Edited by vikingTON

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Frank Ross signs for GA Eagles in the Netherlands.

13 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Frank Ross signs for GA Eagles in the Netherlands.

He was a good player. Bit of a mad move for him as well.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

20 hours ago, cmdc said:

Hard to disagree with that - whether he was playing well or not you couldn’t say he hid in games. Certainly not in those two seasons under Duffy anyway.

Honestly, if I was asked to name a Morton player who had a tendency to hide when things were going badly he's one of the first names to come to mind from the last decade. Probably behind Kyle Wilkie, Lawrence Shankland and the Young brothers, but I'm struggling to think any of any other more deserving candidates.

• Upvote 1

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Aye but shouted for the ball in Italian when he was a kid, so he's basically the white Casemiro.

• Upvote 1

Do you like Abba?

Fair enough, I saw it completely different - particularly his two seasons under Duffy - but it’s old ground!

38 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Aye but shouted for the ball in Italian when he was a kid, so he's basically the white Casemiro.

You’d be surprised. He’s earning more than you think TRVMP. He’s head of modern languages!

• Upvote 2

McKee was decent for this level. Got it tight from the fans but those with a football eye could see he was a player.

• Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Woody66 said:

McKee was decent for this level. Got it tight from the fans but those with a football eye could see he was a player.

Well his soaring career arc down to *checks notes* 'Dumbarton' in the seaside leagues since really bears out the judgment of those beard-stroking intellectuals* within the Morton fanbase. 

* gullible morons

Edited by vikingTON
  • Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

2 hours ago, GiGi said:

He was a good player. Bit of a mad move for him as well.

Charlie Telfer spent some time in the Dutch second tier too, with Almere City. 

Ross is one of only two Scots in the Dutch senior leagues. There's a central defender called George Johnston on the books at Feyenoord. Ex-Liverpool youth, apparently not miles off the first team.

Another one of those, same time tomorrow.

• Upvote 2

Do you like Abba?

42 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Charlie Telfer spent some time in the Dutch second tier too, with Almere City. 

Ross is one of only two Scots in the Dutch senior leagues. There's a central defender called George Johnston on the books at Feyenoord. Ex-Liverpool youth, apparently not miles off the first team.

Another one of those, same time tomorrow.

Most cornflakes come from the USA.

• Upvote 1

Can't believe some people are actually saying mckee was decent for us. I thought he was awful. Heart the size of a pea and offered very little to the team. One of these players who came with a good reputation but was piss poor. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

4 hours ago, Woody66 said:

Meanwhile those of us blessed with actual eyes realised he was utter shite. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

32 minutes ago, BishopLenBrennan said:

Meanwhile those of us blessed with actual eyes realised he was utter shite. 

He still broke Conor McGrandles' leg though, which is to his credit.

Did McKee not do ok for us until an injury against Falkirk, after which he wasn’t the same player?

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Don’t think so. He struggled for form and injury that season but was one of our better players in the League One season and the following season when we finished fifth and we won one or two awards and got a move back to England. Duffy was a big fan of him - partly because (to take this back to where it started) he (in Duffy’s words) ‘never shirked responsibility’. But I wonder if maybe the first season coloured people’s perceptions over the next two. 

(That was a reply to Alibi)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

That was a common myth started in the 13/14 season when people were desperately looking for reasons why our form would turn around rather than accepting that we were fucked as we fell further and further back. Those who didn't want to accept the reality of the situation saw they had no argument based on what was happening on the pitch, so resorted to something unquantifiable. 'McKee's the Tidser replacement in this team, he's the playmaker who's going to make it tick, he started the season well, when he's fit we'll be fine' was typical of the straw clutching on display.

tl;dr

It's also worth remembering that McKee returned from this massive injury lay-off of, erm, five league games to participate in the first team during the autumn of 2013. Our record in the following ten league games? W1 D1 L8, GS 5 GC 23. 

He's the world's shittest Allan Jenkins then.

1 hour ago, cmdc said:

Don’t think so. He struggled for form and injury that season but was one of our better players in the League One season

What, the League One season in which the team lost no less than eleven league matches and would have easily lost even more with the midfield getting regularly overrun by Stenhousemuir, Stirling Albion etc. every other week as well? The better players in that season were quite clearly i) Derek Gaston ii) Declan McManus (regardless of all his snake conduct since) iii) Peter MacDonald for his cameo turn from January. None of our truly dung midfielders or ropey defence - with the possible exception of Mark Russell as an attacking full-back - emerge from that particular campaign with more credit than a winners' medal itself deserves. Next you'll be making a case for Michael Miller or Jamie McCluskey's inherent ability (which is similarly zero). 

Duffy was a big fan of him - partly because (to take this back to where it started) he (in Duffy’s words) ‘never shirked responsibility’. But I wonder if maybe the first season coloured people’s perceptions over the next two. 

One of many honking player judgments that explain why Duffy is now back in the seaside leagues managing a pub team having expended his genuine usefulness at turning around The Famous a long time ago.