Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Queens Park (30th March) - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Queens Park (30th March)

56 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

Nobody appears to be more delicate than Muirhead, tbf.

We have full-grown adults suddenly clutching their pearls about the future of the community owned model because, err, a player's celebrated scoring a goal. So that doesn't really seem to be the case. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I would not be adverse to seeing Muirhead off at the end of the season. He may be a gifted player but with the style we play he is carried more often than not. I doubt many of his goals have come from open play (happy to be proved wrong). 

Good to see Broadfoot and Crawford too bring his arms down. Proper professionals the both of them. Broadfoot, even at his age, is deserving of another year for us, but ideally I'd like to see us have at least 4 CBs next season. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

50 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

We have full-grown adults suddenly clutching their pearls about the future of the community owned model because, err, a player's celebrated scoring a goal. So that doesn't really seem to be the case. 

Oh, Stephen. 

• Upvote 1

The only reason Muirhead gets stick is because of his attitude and sometimes lack of commitment not chasing, not pressing and looking genuinely uninterested. 

Of course he has the ability no one has ever questioned that and for a large part of this season and last season he has been excellent but he shouldn't be immune from criticism. Other things like taking the huff when he has been called our or gestures to the crowd even the fact that he never seems to do any media interviews are things people will pick up on. 

If you were picking between him and say Oakley it would be Oakley everyday of the week because of the attitude, workrate and commitment. The sad thing is if Muirhead does leave at the end of the season you just feel that it could have been so much more than it probably was. 

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, ChampTon said:

I would not be adverse to seeing Muirhead off at the end of the season. He may be a gifted player but with the style we play he is carried more often than not. I doubt many of his goals have come from open play (happy to be proved wrong). 

Good to see Broadfoot and Crawford too bring his arms down. Proper professionals the both of them. Broadfoot, even at his age, is deserving of another year for us, but ideally I'd like to see us have at least 4 CBs next season. 

I feel exactly the same.  If he thinks he's above Morton then let's see where he ends up next.  

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

It'll all depend on what's available and what wages they want but a lot will depend on where the new guy from Wales fits into the plans, too.

EOho8Pw.png

1 hour ago, RossMcC1874 said:

The only reason Muirhead gets stick is because of his attitude and sometimes lack of commitment not chasing, not pressing and looking genuinely uninterested. 

Of course he has the ability no one has ever questioned that and for a large part of this season and last season he has been excellent but he shouldn't be immune from criticism. Other things like taking the huff when he has been called our or gestures to the crowd even the fact that he never seems to do any media interviews are things people will pick up on. 

If you were picking between him and say Oakley it would be Oakley everyday of the week because of the attitude, workrate and commitment. The sad thing is if Muirhead does leave at the end of the season you just feel that it could have been so much more than it probably was. 

Completely agree with the rest of this but, in his defence, I'm led to believe Muirhead has perfectly valid reasons for avoiding interviews.

Edited by TopCat
Spelling

13 hours ago, ChampTon said:

Do goals that come from 'open play' count double or something? How many goals and assists have our rotating parade of wingers chipped in with in Oakley's two spells of absence? From open or closed play? 

The same question can be raised about the midfield to a lesser degree too btw. Imrie's excellent coaching and organisation almost always keeps us in matches, but goals change games and the objective fact is that we have had two very good sources of those this season. And hee-haw else. 

Which is why Imrie will unquestionably be offering Muirhead a new deal in the summer. I'm not convinced that he can replicate this season's return, but he's clearly merited a chance to do so. 

Bonus irony for raising Crawford as if he hasn't encountered the exact same drop-off in form, at the exact same time of the season and with a likely equivalent, very high number of minutes played. 

12 hours ago, RossMcC1874 said:

Of course he has the ability no one has ever questioned that and for a large part of this season and last season he has been excellent but he shouldn't be immune from criticism. 

The ability was absolutely being doubted - and quite rightly so - until Imrie came in the door. Imrie revived Muirhead's career but would Imrie have survived the start of this season without Muirhead returning the favour in Oakley's absence? I think we'd be in a very different situation now if that didn't happen. 

The drop-off in pressing has not been down to one individual, it has declined significantly since injuries and general fatigue hampered the team. If Wilson is nearing contention then I wouldn't be surprised to see it return in the near future. These streaks have been a repeating pattern under Imrie and are largely a product of our tactics being limited by our lack of credible squad depth.

Edited by vikingTON
  • Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

32 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

The ability was absolutely being doubted - and quite rightly so - until Imrie came in the door. Imrie revived Muirhead's career but would Imrie have survived the start of this season without Muirhead returning the favour in Oakley's absence? I think we'd be in a very different situation now if that didn't happen. 

The drop-off in pressing has not been down to one individual, it has declined significantly since injuries and general fatigue hampered the team. If Wilson is nearing contention then I wouldn't be surprised to see it return in the near future. These streaks have been a repeating pattern under Imrie and are largely a product of our tactics being limited by our lack of credible squad depth.

I have never doubted his ability even before Imrie there was flashes and I mean very brief flashes for example that playoff game against Airdrie where he scores a worldie, but unfortunately it was few and far between. 

The pressing you are correct 100% it should be the whole team and by no means has Muirhead been the only culprit but I would say more than the others it's the level of not bursting your arse and making a bit of effort that Muirhead frequently has not done in the past few months you should be able to hit a worldie and burst your arse to chase the ball the two are completely separate. 

I have absolutely no idea of the reason he doesn't do interviews and if someone could enlighten me rather than the cloak and dagger pish that would be great.

Again it's like there is a whole God thing around him, can't have a go at him for being rightly pish for the last few months can't do interviews for some mysterious reason, let it go the reason people have a go at him is completely justified. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DumfriesTon said:

I listened to a podcast with Muirhead last year (Kilmarnock fan one I think) and he suffers from a severe stammer so doesn't do any interviews.

It’s a decent wee listen actually.

Muirhead has scored 16 goals this season and will have a few assists as well. He has a right to be pissed off with some of the fans given the ridiculous comments on this forum and at games. He seems to be an easy target when things aren't going well but for me he's got enough credit in the bank from this season and last. How he carries himself, his body language and running style can look very relaxed at times but let's not forget the games he's worked his arse off as well. No player can do that for 90 minutes. 

• Upvote 2

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

8 hours ago, ChampTon said:

Behave. Where would we be without his 16 goals this season?

11 hours ago, RossMcC1874 said:

I have absolutely no idea of the reason he doesn't do interviews and if someone could enlighten me rather than the cloak and dagger pish that would be great.

Again it's like there is a whole God thing around him, can't have a go at him for being rightly pish for the last few months can't do interviews for some mysterious reason, let it go the reason people have a go at him is completely justified. 

There's a 'god thing' around him but he's arguably the one player who get the most abuse from fans?

There are other players who have been much poorer than him this season. I'm one of Robbie Crawfords biggest fans but he's had very little impact on games this season although his workrate cannot be questioned. Don't see him getting abuse every week. Perhaps Dougie plays them both as he sees a balance between the 2? 

• Upvote 1