Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Inverness (12th December) - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Inverness (12th December)

Admin

Our match thread is sponsored by Tail o' the Bank Credit Union.

Don’t get hooked in by loan sharks! Avoid the pitfalls of "debt solutions". STOP, take a breath and consider your options.  Contact us to see how Inverclyde's Credit Union can help you Save, Borrow and Plan for Tomorrow.

Call the Credit Union on 01475 734655, email office@totbcu.co.uk or pop into the Credit Union at 24 Kilblain Street, Greenock, PA15 1SR. 

Like TOTB on Facebook

Follow TOTB on Twitter

Follow TOTB on Instagram

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strapp coming into the team is surely a no-brainer, which makes what to do with Wilson an interesting one. Despite a sticky 10 minute spell which included their goal on Saturday he still had a good game overall, particularly when he moved into midfield, and has been our best player lately, so you can't really drop him.

You can move him over to right back and drop Blues, which would be pretty harsh on Blues. You can move him to midfield and drop one of Gillespie and Crawford, which again would be harsh on either of them after Saturday. Or you can move him into midfield and move Crawford up one, dropping one of the front four to accommodate.

While you could argue for continuity in the front four after a more cohesive attacking performance, I think with the threat Wotherspoon poses playing in the middle of the park for Inverness we really want to have Gillespie sitting on him and the more sound defensive set up of Gillespie & Wilson sitting with Crawford in front, rather than Muirhead who doesn't have the same defensive attributes.

That then leaves a choice of which of McGrattan, Bearne and Muirhead you drop. Muirhead's had a good season overall and I understand that he's a player who can conjure a goal from nowhere, but I don't think after how well McGrattan and Bearne played on Saturday you can justify dropping either of them. When we've struggled for an attacking threat all season and it's finally clicked for two of the wide options you need to persist with them.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

I think there'll be changes regardless of how well we played on Saturday. I'm sure Imrie has learned his lesson from the last time we had three games in a week and go for some fresher legs, especially in midfield. 

Would expect O'Connor, Strapp, Power (if fit) and Boyd in from the start.  

Hopefully we kick on from Saturday and get another win, albeit Inverness are in a good run of form. 

Strapp in from the start I would assume and be nice to see him back at cappielow, you don't want to change a winning team too much but with 3 games in the space of a week we have no option. 

Fancy Bearne to pop up with a goal tonight he is really starting to show what he is capable of as like many I didn't think he was at the level but happy he is proving me wrong. 

1 hour ago, DumfriesTon said:

I think there'll be changes regardless of how well we played on Saturday. I'm sure Imrie has learned his lesson from the last time we had three games in a week and go for some fresher legs, especially in midfield. 

Would expect O'Connor, Strapp, Power (if fit) and Boyd in from the start.  

Or not. Of the changes that perhaps could have been made, Bearne and McGrattan weren't them. Very slow looking team. 

Shocked at those two being the players dropped, particularly Bearne who was excellent on Saturday.

That could be 3-5-2 with Strapp and one of Wilson or Blues as wing backs, 4-3-3 with Crawford and Muirhead wide, or 4-4-2 diamond with Crawford at the tip behind Muirhead and Oakley. Not sure what to expect there.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Archived