Squad for next Season - Page 121 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Squad for next Season

Of course we should not expect the Tele to simply act as a mouthpiece for the club, it's right that they hold those running the club to account and ask sometimes difficult questions, on behalf of their readership and the fans. But the fact they continued with the same false narrative even after the club issued a statement correcting them, is of course completely unacceptable. If they continue contradicting the official statement of the club, they should at the very least publish the evidence to support it (obviously they don't have any).

However..... I obviously don't buy the Tele, but from their online content they do seem to be generally supportive of the club (maybe less so in the printed version?). So while I understand the anger of the fans and I assume also the club, banning them from Cappielow may be an overreaction and counter productive. Maybe a warning along the lines of if they continue to published blatant lies related to the club, their media access rights to Cappielow will have to be reviewed. 

Unless of course this is just one of a series of negative and/or false articles relating to the club, in which case, aye, get them tae fuck. 

• Upvote 1

If its Chris Dodds that's doing it then I'm not surprised that boy is an utter weapon and I'm surprised he is on the Morton Podcast so often as he talks utter mince on that also. These guys should have no place anywhere near cappielow if that's the shite they are coming out with or reporting about. 

1 hour ago, RossMcC1874 said:

If its Chris Dodds that's doing it then I'm not surprised that boy is an utter weapon and I'm surprised he is on the Morton Podcast so often as he talks utter mince on that also. These guys should have no place anywhere near cappielow if that's the shite they are coming out with or reporting about. 

Appears to be quite content in leaking content to fans for his own gain too.

10 hours ago, Greacen2000 said:

It also has potential to be picked up by other news outlets and impact the wider perceptions of our club (although I am less concerned about this part).

Nah, they only care about anything they can link back to Rangers or Celtic so naturally some picked this up anyway - and did a far better job of representing it than the Tele did.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/23772707.morton-reveal-financial-benefits-rangers-viaplay-cup-tie/

6 hours ago, Greacen2000 said:

Morton, on the other hand are a small local club and are somewhat reliant on the small local rag to provide coverage to people in the local area (who might not be active on social media/online etc).  A match preview or a feature in the telegraph during the week could potentially attract a few more punters through the doors, and keep us in the hearts & minds of the people who we want to be attracting to the games.  For that reason, it is definitely in the clubs best interests not to burn any bridges

We really aren't reliant on the Tele to do that. The club has social media, it has a website, it also has MCT and it has community work as well. The Tele's back-up plan involves running wall-to-wall coverage of 4th tier Junior jobbers or full page epistles from Gisbey. They need the club more than the club needs them.

I understand your points but I can't agree with them at all. If this week's parade of fabricated shite isn't enough to take action, then what exactly is? Does the Tele get free rein to publish whatever it wants regardless of the facts or the negative consequences for a club that we own? 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

5 hours ago, GiGi said:

The journalist doesn't write the headlines btw. That's the Tele editor(s) coming up with that shite.

They don't write the headlines but the content of the articles this week - on Imrie's interview and the club statement - is misleading too. Even if there's an editorial line to spin hysterical nonsense then that's something that a journalist has to own and take their share of responsibility for. 

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

35 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

We really aren't reliant on the Tele to do that. The club has social media, it has a website, it also has MCT and it has community work as well. The Tele's back-up plan involves running wall-to-wall coverage of 4th tier Junior jobbers or full page epistles from Gisbey. They need the club more than the club needs them.

I understand your points but I can't agree with them at all. If this week's parade of fabricated shite isn't enough to take action, then what exactly is? Does the Tele get free rein to publish whatever it wants regardless of the facts or the negative consequences for a club that we own? 

I did add the caveat of “who might not be active online/on social media”.  It’s also worth noting that our home attendances as well as subs on the main social media outlets are between 1-2k, while the tele has daily circulation of around 5.5k so let’s not underestimate the reach that it has within our target area.

Again I’m not defending them - I’m on the same page as you in terms of the tripe they have been peddling.   Nobody is saying they should have free reign to continue publishing this sort of shite, but what you are proposing wouldn’t stop it.  Something needs to be done about it - I just don’t think that burning our bridges with them is the best course of action.

Edited by Greacen2000

Would the Tele change its editorial line if it found itself shut out of any content it couldn't generate on its own? Quite possibly. In any case, the only organisation burning bridges is the one peddling utter shite in its rag.

The demographics of Tele buyers makes their circulation figures completely redundant. Senga (74) from Braeside is not the marginal customer at Cappielow. The football fans of Inverclyde are not waiting every day for the Tele as their sole source of information because it's not 1997.

24 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Would the Tele change its editorial line if it found itself shut out of any content it couldn't generate on its own? Quite possibly. In any case, the only organisation burning bridges is the one peddling utter shite in its rag.

The demographics of Tele buyers makes their circulation figures completely redundant. Senga (74) from Braeside is not the marginal customer at Cappielow. The football fans of Inverclyde are not waiting every day for the Tele as their sole source of information because it's not 1997.

How much of the teles Morton related content is dependent upon them having special privileges & access to the club?  By my reckoning (based on browsing the last 10 or so on their website) I would say it’s less than 30%.  Certainly the match preview & match report stuff could still run even if we cut them loose - all it would take is for them to buy a ticket for their correspondent, and keep tabs on our social media output.  So your idea of punishing them by denying the ability to publish their precious Morton content is a bit of a non starter really.  And as you said - Senga isn’t interested in it anyway so maybe they don’t need it?

Again - all I’m saying here is that it would be better for the club to try and make an effort to guide their relationship with the local paper in a more productive direction.  Burning bridges will do the precise opposite of that with absolutely no upside to it

Edited by Greacen2000
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Greacen2000 said:

How much of the teles Morton related content is dependent upon them having special privileges & access to the club?  By my reckoning (based on browsing the last 10 or so on their website) I would say it’s less than 30%.  Certainly the match preview & match report stuff could still run even if we cut them loose - all it would take is for them to buy a ticket for their correspondent, and keep tabs on our social media output.  So your idea of punishing them by denying the ability to publish their precious Morton content is a bit of a non starter really.  And as you said - Senga isn’t interested in it anyway so maybe they don’t need it?

Well no, because Morton content produced by interviews with players and management is their entire halfway credible pack section of the newspaper, Saturday and Tuesday-Friday. Other than expanding the Gisbey Gazette, that's 4 editions out of 6 for which there can be no content (based on existing types) without voluntary engagement by the club.

They should get absolutely none and be forced to pretend that 'the joon-yurs', cricket and other such utter nonsense are legitimate items of interest. There'd be only one loser in that contest and it wouldn't be GMFC.

Imrie saying one or two players are injured for considerable period of time but not saying who yet or for how long. 

Also says one or two hopefully coming in and one is close to getting done. 

• Upvote 1

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I don't imagine we are going for youth if it's a loan deal, I could see someone with a bit of experience. A quick think about who would be available in the SPL only brings Jamie Brandon to mind.

You'd have to think that the second player would be an attacker with Oakley out. In that position, a younger striker looking to challenge Muirhead is fine by me. On the past two showings (free kick aside) he needs it.

51 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

I don't imagine we are going for youth if it's a loan deal, I could see someone with a bit of experience. A quick think about who would be available in the SPL only brings Jamie Brandon to mind.

You'd have to think that the second player would be an attacker with Oakley out. In that position, a younger striker looking to challenge Muirhead is fine by me. On the past two showings (free kick aside) he needs it.

Brandon has started all four games for Livi this season, unfortunately for us. 

EOho8Pw.png

3 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Well no, because Morton content produced by interviews with players and management is their entire halfway credible pack section of the newspaper, Saturday and Tuesday-Friday. Other than expanding the Gisbey Gazette, that's 4 editions out of 6 for which there can be no content (based on existing types) without voluntary engagement by the club.

They should get absolutely none and be forced to pretend that 'the joon-yurs', cricket and other such utter nonsense are legitimate items of interest. There'd be only one loser in that contest and it wouldn't be GMFC.

Do you genuinely believe that if we cut off access to the tele that they won’t still be able to maintain their current number of Morton related back pages?

3 hours ago, port-ton said:

Imrie saying one or two players are injured for considerable period of time but not saying who yet or for how long. 

Thereby proving what we already knew about the teles headlines this week

I expect one of the 2 he mentions will be Oakley (I’ve heard he had to get an operation).  I would be very concerned if (as I expect) the other one is either Crawford or Gillespie

11 hours ago, Greacen2000 said:

Do you genuinely believe that if we cut off access to the tele that they won’t still be able to maintain their current number of Morton related back pages?

What content would they be using to maintain their current level of coverage? They would have their own vacuous thoughts and fan letters.

It's notable that your argument has now warped so much that it's flipped completely on its head. First you were hand-wringing that the Tele needs to be kept on board for the club to engage with its vast and important readership; now you're saying that GMFC denying access would not substantially change the level of coverage. It can't be both things at once.

But if we were to take your new argument at face value, then the principal losers from a removal of privileged club content would only be the very journalists and editorial team who have damagingly misrepresented the club for their own interests. Making them Scrabble around to fill their pages is itself an appropriate punishment.

Edited by vikingTON

27 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

What content would they be using to maintain their current level of coverage? They would have their own vacuous thoughts and fan letters.

It's notable that your argument has now warped so much that it's flipped completely on its head. First you were hand-wringing that the Tele needs to be kept on board for the club to engage with its vast and important readership; now you're saying that GMFC denying access would not substantially change the level of coverage. It can't be both things at once.

But if we were to take your new argument at face value, then the principal losers from a removal of privileged club content would only be the very journalists and editorial team who have damagingly misrepresented the club for their own interests. Making them Scrabble around to fill their pages is itself an appropriate punishment.

Nothings been warped apart from maybe in your own mind.    

I think I’ve been pretty clear in stating my belief that having a productive relationship with the tele would benefit the club more than cutting them off would.

The reason I asked the question is because I do not agree with your assertion that cutting ties with the tele would be any sort of meaningful punishment to teach them the error of their ways.  They could still publish multiple Morton stories per week just by lifting stuff from the clubs own output.

What is the added value of this 'productive relationship', if the club can just produce content* and the paper will print it anyway because it has literally nothing else of value to fill its garbage publication? It therefore doesn't matter whether the club has a friendly relationship with the Tele in terms of engaging with the community through a single, crap local media source. Any key information will be published regardless.

Which takes us to an issue that your point of view has to address: what behaviour would sanction a break in cooperation with the newspaper? Are the Tele allowed to publish anything it wants about the club in perpetuity, on the grounds that they're Valued Local Media?

As owners of the football club, I see no reason why we should welcome a rag that is undermining the precarious foundations of successful fan ownership model through false reporting. That very real cost has to be recognised alongside this increasingly intangible sum for how the Tele relationship benefits the club.

And even if they only balance each other out, there's still value in punitive action.

* not that there's too much of that to reproduce so far this season

On 9/8/2023 at 7:16 PM, port-ton said:

Really hope it's not an underwhelming signing like Doyle although part of me would be happy to see a natural rightback come in

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come