Poor wee Rangers - Page 10 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Poor wee Rangers

pink_panther

It doesn't look great, admittedly, but I'll wait to see the arrest figures before I reach for the Valium.

This is obviously only my opinion bit I do think this small element of nutters has become emboldened in recent years and has worked it's way back in to the Rangers support. This is mostly down to the backs to the wall mentality the Rangers board have used to generate ticket sales and as a deflection tactic. The embarrassing handling of various incidents such as their Scottish Cup final antics haven't helped either.

I agree that theres a fair bit of knicker wetting that goes on over the scale of the problem but I still see the OF as a rallying banner for these idiots. As for ourselves - Morton and other fans' butchering of sectarian songs lumps us in with this nonsense.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is obviously only my opinion bit I do think this small element of nutters has become emboldened in recent years and has worked it's way back in to the Rangers support. This is mostly down to the backs to the wall mentality the Rangers board have used to generate ticket sales and as a deflection tactic. The embarrassing handling of various incidents such as their Scottish Cup final antics haven't helped either.

I agree that theres a fair bit of knicker wetting that goes on over the scale of the problem but I still see the OF as a rallying banner for these idiots. As for ourselves - Morton and other fans' butchering of sectarian songs lumps us in with this nonsense.

Yeah, and that's half of it when it comes to Rangers: they're doing both. So when they come out with a 'no surrender' statement (eg post-Scottish Cup final) it emboldens their fans. But then, as with the last couple of weeks, when they're more meek about it, the fans feel betrayed and dig in further.

EOho8Pw.png

This is perhaps the saddest thread that has ever been on this forum, and that my friends, is some achievement.

Don’t recall the spectacular blimp crash claiming several hundred Morton fans that somehow made you a voice of authority here tbh.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I’ve heard that some Rangers fans were proposing to change the lyrics to their signature hate tune in attempts to circumvent UEFAs disciplinary measures. It would be to no avail, it seems, given that Linfield had a similar notion slapped down.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-fans-cleaning-up-the-19028509

I’ve heard that some Rangers fans were proposing to change the lyrics to their signature hate tune in attempts to circumvent UEFAs disciplinary measures. It would be to no avail, it seems, given that Linfield had a similar notion slapped down.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-fans-cleaning-up-the-19028509

Which is precisely why they were correct to ask for clarity.

EOho8Pw.png

Yeah but the morons thought they could get away with just removing the f word and still sing about the Billy Boys which was just never going to wash.

Dear UEFA

Is it okay if we keep singing about being up to our knees in the blood of a given set of people if we use a slightly more euphemistic pejorative term for them?

Yours sincerely

Fans of Rangers FC, est. 1872; 147 years ago (it says so on Wikipedia)

WATP

Dear Fans of The Rangers FC, est. 2012; 7 years ago

No. GTF.

Regards,

Sane minds everywhere

Dear UEFA

Is it okay if we keep singing about being up to our knees in the blood of a given set of people if we use a slightly more euphemistic pejorative term for them?

Yours sincerely

Fans of Rangers FC, est. 1874; 147 years ago (it says so on Wikipedia)

WATP

Dear Fans of The Rangers FC, est. 2012; 7 years ago

No. GTF.

Regards,

Sane minds everywhere

Yeah, Uefa haven't specifically referenced that line in isolation as being a problem therefore our version is not instantly outlawed.

That line, regardless of what adjective they use, in a song specifically about the Billy Boys however, is a big fat no.

Rangers fans think the only issue with the song is the f word, and they can keep singing about the Billy Boys. No. No you can't.

Yeah, Uefa haven't specifically referenced that line in isolation as being a problem therefore our version is not instantly outlawed.

That line, regardless of what adjective they use, in a song specifically about the Billy Boys however, is a big fat no.

Rangers fans think the only issue with the song is the f word, and they can keep singing about the Billy Boys. No. No you can't.

Whether or not the version used by a particular portion of our supporters would be punishable by a footballing authority, or under any law, I would not miss it one iota if it was never heard again.

Singing about being up to your knees in someone’s blood is a pure riddy

Not really. It's not complicated. They don't need to ask if they can still sing sectarian songs but have them being slightly less sectarian. Don't sing sectarian songs.

Of course it's not complicated, but as I've explained repeatedly, UEFA are doing this in response to complaints that seek to punish Rangers, not because they could define what "sectarianism" actually means in a Scottish context if you held a gun to their head. As such, Rangers - if they wish to follow punishment - need chapter and verse on exactly what is or isn't allowed, otherwise they're going to fall foul of the law.

And they may yet do so anyway because they have a lot of idiot fans, but that's besides the point. This is not about "sectarianism" - it's about one group of people using the levers of judiciary and executive to try to punish another group of people. Because "sectarianism" at football is a complete non-issue, whereas points deductions and fines actually matter.

EOho8Pw.png

‘Sectarianism’ is in reality just west of Scotland ‘banter’ weasel words for what in the much of the continent would otherwise be described as racial or ethnicity-based hatred. If you seriously think that either religious belief or, more ludicrously, denominational schools contribute to the Old Firn rivalry then I’ve got a stack of proper modern Scottish historians who will prove you wrong.

UEFA are correct to try (mostly failing but the attempt is worthwhile) to punish this racist behaviour across the continent and it’s utterly telling that just two inconsequential sanctions in a Europa League campaign have led to more soul-searching in that fanbase - as well as condemnations from Sevco themselves - than decades of non-existent measures taken by the SFA.

A similar concerted effort of sanctions - stadium bans (full or for travelling bigot supports) - at domestic level would end this public behaviour within a year.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

‘Sectarianism’ is in reality just west of Scotland ‘banter’ weasel words for what in the much of the continent would otherwise be described as racial or ethnicity-based hatred. If you seriously think that either religious belief or, more ludicrously, denominational schools contribute to the Old Firn rivalry then I’ve got a stack of proper modern Scottish historians who will prove you wrong.

UEFA are correct to try (mostly failing but the attempt is worthwhile) to punish this racist behaviour across the continent and it’s utterly telling that just two inconsequential sanctions in a Europa League campaign have led to more soul-searching in that fanbase - as well as condemnations from Sevco themselves - than decades of non-existent measured taken by the SFA.

A similar sanction of stadium bans (full or for travelling bigot supports) will end this public behaviour within a year.

I don't entirely disagree with the first paragraph. It is a weasely word and the "hatred", such as it is, is in a post-Christian society more accurately described as ethnic rather than religious. But a lot of these words are imprecise. A lot of anti-Muslim sentiment is referred to as "racism", for example, even though race is usually secondary or even absent; and anti-Semitism would by the dictionary also mean anti-Arab (their being a Semitic people as well) or perhaps even anti-Maltese, but we all know what it means. So I'm happy enough to go with the shorthand here, while acknowledging that it's wrong.

My contention, as earlier in the thread, is that this ethnic conflict ultimately doesn't matter, has next to no impact on the actual mechanics of life when compared with manifold other social phenomena that don't get one-tenth of the public attention, and that this whole kerfuffle is 100% manufactured by two sets of fans trying to get each other punished and censured (and censored) by any means they can. Celtic fans have had the most success here, but Rangers fans have had the odd victory from time to time as well.

You are absolutely correct that these punishments - being something that actually matter - will have far more success than anything else tried. And because "sectarianism" doesn't matter, there's unlikely to be any kind of backlash that would result if something actually important were cracked down upon.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived