thistle game - Page 8 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

thistle game

beetee

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We sit far too far back - pretty much with the back four on the 18 yard line - and we are forever clearing the ball to the opposition in midfield.  Today we were struggling to win headers apart from the 2 CBs who were excellent, Kilday particularly.  Gaston created our opener with a quick low-trajectory ball up to the middle of their half, and Tiffoney got past the defender, there was a melee involving the keeper and Tiffoney emerged with the ball, turning and lobbing it into the goal.  Great pace, good skill and clever finishing.  Credit to Gaston for quick thinking.  he couldn't do anything with the equaliser which hit the post and bounded in just behind the opposite post - a few mm to the left and it would have stayed out.  The winner was a great through ball from Tumilty to Telfer who ran in on goal and put a well placed shot inside the left hand post.

It has to be said that we should have had the game killed off by half time.  The second half was constant sitting back and Thistle over-running us, especially down our left hand side.  We needed to press them as their back four (sometimes 3) look very poor and frequently don't control the ball - as at Cappielow when we gubbed them.  Press them and wait for an error should have been the tactic.  JJ needs to sort that, although our lack of strikers doesn't help there.  Tiffoney is probably at his best for us as a striker although he can do the winger stuff apart from the final cross.  He has great pace and we should be using it to compensate for our rather pedestrian midfield.

Glad to hear the final whistle.  3 points but must do better.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Credit to Gaston for quick thinking.

I think Johansson will be staking a claim to that tactically. He was going mental at Gaston for not releasing quickly on a few other occasions.

Edit to add:

Greenock Morton manager Jonatan Johansson: "A great way to finish the year, to get back on the winning trail and a really hard-fought win.

"The counter attack was something we talked about because at times Thistle play expansive and leave themselves open at the back - that's why Tiffoney started."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46657160

Say what you will about the defence but those were two superb finishes. Admittedly Tiff and Telfer must have been dreaming that they had so much time on the ball but they got into great positions and showed technique and power.

EOho8Pw.png

Gaston not looking too clever for their equaliser. Should never have came to that though with how much we just sat back inviting it.

The nick of their right back's half arsed attempt to track Telfer only to play him onside, throwing his hand up like an imbecile.

Far too early to talk about a corner being turned or anything like that, but regardless of the performance we desperately needed a win and that'll do. It puts us a comfortable distance clear of the bottom two - it'll take a Raith level collapse to put us in serious trouble now - and gives Johansson some breathing space as a result.

While there are a massive number of improvements we need that could be pointed out, to look at positives it was great to see Kilday having a solid performance, tremendous pass from Tumilty for the winner and excellent composure from both Tiffoney and Telfer for their finishes.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Not seen any. Whoever uploaded it nicked it off jagzone which you have to pay to see.

Just watched the Boxing Day game of 2012. We could have been 5-0 down at HT what a sweet win. Caldwell saying that they should have won yesterday. Wasn't there so can't comment however another sweet win against the glesga luvvies.

The fact that it’s taken fully three days for anyone anywhere to make such a claim: obvious, fake news agenda.

Sad!

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Archived